Township Rollers bag Mascom Top 8
By John Churu, Gaborone, Botswana
One of Botswana’s top flight football giants, Township Rollers, won the Mascom Top 8 cup after beating ECCO City Green 3-1 at the UB stadium. Rollers were under pressure to win to avoid a silverware-less season after they failed to defend silverware from another mobile phone company BeMobile earlier in the league season. They were also knocked out of the Coca Cola cup by their biggest rival, Mochudi Center Chiefs.
‘Mapalastina’ as they are known to their legion of supporters, started the game full of verve finding the back of the net with their real first attack on the 4th minutes. Ntesang Simanyana combined well with his captain to create an opener for the inform Zebras strike Tebogo Sembowa, who finished with a top quality shot over the diving keeper.
The Mascom Top 8 has a prize of P1 000 000 about (USD150 000) is just one of the CSR efforts from the mobile telephony giant. According to Mascom wireless, their CSR initiatives span over a spectrum of initiatives that they have been supporting including:
- Provision of ICT resources and equipment to Primary Schools, Kgotlas and Kitsong Centres
- Support for vulnerable and disadvantaged groups, especially children, which they have been doing through the Mascom CEO’s Christmas Party for Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC’s) and the Mascom’s Housing Project.
- Mascom sports sponsorships; have been supporting an array of sporting activities including, Soccer – Mascom Top 8, Mascom Volleyball League, Mascom Phikwe Marathon, Mascom National Derby, Steinmertz Gaborone Marathon.
- Support of environmental initiatives
- Support of the arts, music, traditional and cultural groups
- Mascom e-Health initiative