Riverbed renames products within Riverbed Application Performance Platform
Riverbed Technology, the leader in application performance infrastructure, has introduced new product names that better describe what each product does and reflect how together they deliver unique strategic value as part of an integrated solution, the Riverbed® Application Performance Platform™. The consistent naming framework reinforces how Riverbed solutions work together to deliver optimal application and data performance across global infrastructures.
The product renaming is the next step in Riverbed’s evolution and expansion into a multi-product company that offers an integrated application performance platform, a growth strategy that has been in the works for several years and unveiled by Riverbed in November 2013. Riverbed’s strategy is aimed at fuelling its growth in the application performance infrastructure, an $11 billion market opportunity growing at about a 5% compounded annual growth rate (CAGR).
“Riverbed launched our first product 10 years ago with our Steelhead WAN Optimization solution, and over the last four years, we’ve made the journey from a single product company to something much bigger. Today, we offer the industry’s most complete application performance platform to allow customers to host applications and data in whatever location makes the most business sense, regardless of distance or location, while ensuring the flawless delivery of applications and data. We call this concept location-independent computing and it has been the idea behind the solutions we’ve brought to market for years,” said Kate Hutchison, CMO, Riverbed. “We’re now updating our product brand names to better communicate what our products do and reinforce how they are part of an integrated platform that ensures applications perform as expected and data is always available when needed.”
The Riverbed Application Performance Platform, which includes five product families as well as open APIs, developer tools and professional services, is the only complete solution in the market that optimises application and data delivery and provides the visibility to detect and fix performance issues before end users notice a problem. With this Platform, companies can host applications and data in the locations that best serve the business – in data centres, in branch offices, in the cloud or any combination thereof – while ensuring flawless application delivery, better leveraging global resources, radically reducing the cost of running their business and maximizing employee productivity.
The new product family names build off Riverbed’s flagship product, Steelhead. Each begins with a word that signifies the strength of infrastructure and celebrates Riverbed’s heritage, Steel:
- Riverbed® SteelHead™(formerly Steelhead) – the #1 WAN optimisation solution that delivers applications and data at the fastest speeds across the optimal networks for the lowest cost.
- Riverbed® SteelFusion™(formerly Granite) – the only branch converged infrastructure that delivers local performance, data centralisation, instant recovery and lower TCO.
- Riverbed® SteelApp™(formerly Stingray)– the #1 virtual application delivery controller(ADC) for scalable, secure and elastic delivery of enterprise, cloud and e-commerce applications.
- Riverbed® SteelStore™(formerly Whitewater) – the industry’s most scalable cloud storage appliance that reduces data protection costs by up to 80%, integrates seamlessly into existing backup infrastructure and eliminates tape backup.
- Riverbed® SteelCentral™(formerly OPNET, Cascade and NEOP) – the only performance management suite that combines user experience, application and network performance management to provide the visibility needed to diagnose and cure issues before end users notice a problem, call the help desk to complain or jump to another web site out of frustration.
- Riverbed® SteelScript™(formerly FlyScript) – open APIs and developer tools to customise and automate application performance infrastructure from Riverbed.
These products all come together in the Riverbed Application Performance Platform™
Support from Industry Analysts
“Industry watchers and customers alike have recognized Riverbed as the leader in the WAN Optimisation space for many years now,” said Rohit Mehra, Vice President, Network Infrastructure, IDC. “As WAN networking technologies and related application performance and management domains have evolved, lines continue to blur across many of these application and performance optimisation solutions. Staying focused on providing end-to-end application performance, and as a key player in the network and application infrastructure eco-system, it is refreshing to see Riverbed introduce a newer, simplified positioning and naming for its portfolio that is now significantly broader than the WAN Optimization Steelhead solutions it is most known for.”
“The Riverbed Application Performance Platform and new naming convention allows Riverbed to talk about its products more intelligently and cohesively,” said Steve Duplessie, Founder and Sr. Analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group. “Riverbed has gone through a significant transformation by broadening the product portfolio over the past few years, but it’s been hard for the market to keep pace. This new way of classifying Riverbed technologies will help buyers to see the total value opportunities availed to them.”
Riverbed’s new product brand names are now live on Riverbed.com, and customers can expect to see the user interfaces of Riverbed products evolve to reflect the new names in the coming months timed to software updates and new appliance releases. The new Riverbed brand identity is now visible at the Company's new headquarters and customer briefing centre in San Francisco (officially opening in June), and additional offices and customer briefing centres globally will transition to the new product branding in the coming quarters.
Riverbed has also changed the names of some form factors and product descriptors, which can be found in a quick reference guide at http://www.riverbed.com/products/#Product_List.