Nigeria reviews extension of registration period and cancellation of USSD and verification fees
The National Task Force on National Identification Number (NIN) and SIM Registration met with major stakeholders in the Nigerian communications market on the 21st December, 2020.
The meeting’s objective was for the stakeholders to hold discussions on the registration period and cancellation of USSD and verification fees.
The meeting was chaired by the Honourable Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr. Isa Ali Ibrahim (Pantami) with major stakeholders in the sector including Chairman-NCC, EVC-NCC, DG-NITDA, DG-NIMC, ECTS/ECSM-NCC, Chairman ALTON, CEOs of MTN, Airtel, Ntel, Glo, Smile, and 9Moble in attendance.
Based on the endorsement of the Federal Government of Nigeria, the meeting participants made the following resolutions:
1. Three (3) weeks extension for subscribers with NIN from 30th December, 2020 to 19th January, 2021.
2. Six (6) weeks extension for subscribers without NIN from 30th December, 2020 to 9th February, 2021.
3. NIMC has provided strategies to enable citizens attend the registration in full compliance with Covid-19 protocols – particularly the use of facemasks which remains mandatory- and maintenance of social distancing.
4. The President appreciates Nigerians for their patience and commitment to update their Identities; The Federal Government also thanks all stakeholders for their compliance with the directives.
5. Mr. President also commended the efforts of the Task Force and urges all stakeholders to take advantage of the extension to link their SIM card with their NIN. USSD and verification charges remain suspended during these extensions.