MTN Ghana withdraws lawsuit against NCA
MTN Ghana announced on Tuesday this week that it has withdrawn its application against the National Communications Authority of Ghana (NCA) filed at the Supreme Court on September 4, 2020.
MTN Ghana says they withdrew their application in the spirit of the renewed channels of engagement, paving the way for further discussions with the NCA to reach an amicable resolution.
On September 1, 2020, an Accra High Court dismissed an application by MTN Ghana seeking to quash the directive of the NCA to classify it as a Significant Market Player (SMP) in the country’s telecoms sector, and awarded a cost of GHS 10,000 against MTN.
The court further emboldened the NCA to take measures to promote competition aimed at protecting the interest of the other mobile network operators.
Unhappy with the High Court ruling, MTN Ghana on September 4, 2020 sought a review of the High Court decision regarding the declaration of MTN Ghana as a Significant Market Player (SMP).
But in a statement issued in Accra on Tuesday and signed by the Corporate Services Executive Samuel Koranteng, MTN stated that “given the progress made so far, in good faith, on settlement discussions with the NCA, and Ministry of Communications, the company has withdrawn its application filed at the Supreme Court on September 4, 2020.”
According to the statement, MTN Ghana identifies that a collective goodwill and commitment is necessary to help the entire industry thrive and support the government's agenda to enhance connectivity and the availability of communication services in the country.
“We are convinced that this decision is in the best interest of our cherished customers, shareholders and other stakeholders,” the statement said.