ITU Telecom World 2019 highlights tech innovations improving lives
A host of life-changing innovations were highlighted at the lively ITU Telecom World Awards Ceremony, which marked the close of four busy days of showcasing, networking and debates at ITU Telecom World 2019. Award winning innovations from SMEs, governments and major corporates came from areas as diverse as online education, 5G airships and drones, green 5G, digital addressing, transforming digital heat from datacentres, nanosatellites and enabling barrier free emergency calls.
Winners and finalists in several categories were presented with trophies and certificates by ITU Secretary-General Houlin Zhao in the presence of government ministers, industry leaders, representatives of media and other high-level delegates from across the globe. The Global SME Excellence winner was announced following action-packed live pitching from finalists in the Awards Ceremony itself.
“ITU is delighted to announce the Award winners here in Budapest, where the Awards, along with other international services to SMEs, were first launched at ITU Telecom World 2015," said ITU Secretary-General Houlin Zhao. “Since then, we have watched this platform grow, support and promote examples of tech for good. This week we have showcased and explored the products and solutions that can change lives and make connectivity truly meaningful. With our ITU Telecom World Award winners, we now recognize another fresh crop of innovators, who I hope will now go forth and take their business onto the global stage."
The Awards comprised:
- Global SME Awards: recognizing the best innovative ICT-based solutions with social impact from SMEs present at the event in five classes – Best business model; Most innovative use of ICT; Greatest social impact and Most scalable solution. The Global SME Excellence Award was awarded to the SME with the highest all-around score.
- Global Industry Awards: for the most promising innovative solutions with social impact in the areas of digital inclusion and principles, meaningful connectivity. solutions and sustainable impact, as selected by a specially-convened expert jury.
- Government Award: awarded to the National Pavilion with the most promising innovative SMEs.
- Host Country Awards: recognized the best and most innovative SME or solutions at the event from Hungary, the event host.
All SMEs in these categories underwent a rigorous application and selection process, with an external jury of social entrepreneurship and tech experts assessing each entrant on the basis of business model, scalability, innovation and social impact. Those shortlisted for the Global SME Awards were invited to take part in a quick-fire pitching sessions in front of an expert jury, during the event, as well as benefit from an SME Programme of workshops, capacity building, pitching sessions, SME-focused Forum sessions.
Also among the SME pitchers, joining an ITU Telecom World Event for the first time, were the EQUALS Fellowship winners, 24 talented female entrepreneurs from developing countries around the world who exhibited on the showfloor, pitched their innovative solutions and took part in the SME Programme.
- Global SME Excellence Award
Winner – Immersion4, Switzerland
- Best Business Model
Winner – Vokacom, Ghana
- Most innovative use of ICTs
Winner – Immersion4, Switzerland
- Greatest social impact
Winner – UX Information Technologies, Mozambique
- Most scalable solution
Winner – Prime Molecular Technologies Africa, South Africa
ITU Telecom World Industry Awards Winners and projects
- Digital Inclusion & Principles: Ruangguru App, the largest tech-enabled education provider in Southeast Asia, providing a better, accessible and more affordable alternative to quality learning for students and teachers.
- Meaningful Connectivity Solutions: KT 5G Skyship, a disaster safety specialized platform integrated with the world's first 5G, unmanned airship and drone technology.
- Sustainable Impact: Huawei, Green 5G Power to boost climate action. The project innovates technologies that reduce energy consumption by up to 20%.
- ITU Telecom World Government Award
Winner – Mozambique
- ITU Telecom World Host Country Awards
Winner – Tresorit, Hungary