Huawei aims to #RewriteTheRules with its pioneering HUAWEI P30 Series
Huawei unveiled its latest flagship smartphone series, the Huawei P30, at an exciting event at Kyalami Race Track, a week after it was launched globally. The P series is well known for its innovations in photography and design, and its latest range will undoubtedly set the standard for the next generation of smartphones.
“Like its predecessors, the P30 series has superior photography and design hardwired into its DNA,” notes Akhram Mohamed, Chief Technology Officer at Huawei Consumer Business Group South Africa. “With this new range we are once again rewriting the rules of what’s possible in these fields, and are now extending it to videography. The Huawei P30 Pro has already received the highest score ever awarded on the DxOMark Mobile leaderboard – 112. The Huawei P20 Pro held that top spot for a year after revolutionising smartphone camera performance. The Huawei P30 Series not only lets Huawei break its own records, but also set a new standard for videography. ”
The Huawei P30 Pros’s Leica Quad Camera System is a world-first for advanced mobile imaging technology. Inside the slim body of the Huawei P30 Pro is a 40MP primary camera with a Huawei SuperSpectrum Sensor, a 20MP ultra-wide angle camera, a 32MP front camera, an 8MP telephoto camera fitted with a SuperZoom Lens and a Huawei ToF Camera. The all-new sensor, lens arrangement, image signal processor (ISP) and neural processing unit (NPU) work in tandem to capture incredible photos and videos.
The Huawei P30, on the other hand, is equipped with a Leica Triple Camera consisting of a 40MP Huawei SuperSpectrum sensor, a 16MP ultra wide angle camera and an 8MP telephoto camera. The new sensors, lens setup, image signal processor (ISP), NPU and custom image processing algorithms work seamlessly together to enable sophisticated professional camera features.
Exciting new photography features
Let there be light: The Huawei SuperSpectrum Sensor
The Huawei P30 and Huawei P30 Pro use a large 1/1.7-inch RYYB sensor for their primary camera. This sensor is different from other CFAs, as it replaces green pixels in the RGGB Bayer array with yellow pixels, which means both green and red light can move past the filter and reach the sensor. This improves the amount of light reaching the sensor by up to 40 percent, yielding higher photosensitivity and more intensity of colour.
The Huawei P30 has an aperture of f/1.8 with a maximum ISO of 204,800. The main camera on the Huawei P30 Pro features an even wider aperture of f/1.6 with OIS support and a maximum ISO of 409,600, achieving greater light sensitivity, better low noise capture and improved colour reproduction, even in low light conditions.
Attention to detail: The Huawei SuperZoom Lens
The Huawei P30 Pro features a SuperZoom Lens fitted into the ultra slim chassis. This SuperZoom allows users to achieve a high-fidelity 5x optical zoom, 10x hybrid zoom and 50x digital zoom. The lens uses a prism to bend light at a 90-degree angle, enabling users to see farther.
Going deeper into 3D: The Huawei ToF Camera
The new Huawei ToF Camera in the Huawei P30 Pro allows for many fun 3D photography possibilities, including gaming and a 3D Live Maker for AR modeling. This camera facilitates the simulation of premium wide aperture effects, accurate portrait segmentation and multi-level bokeh, creating photos with many distinct layers and an improved sense of depth.
Game-changing videography features
Many of the impressive photography effects of the Huawei P20 Pro that people knew and loved can now also be used for videos with the Huawei P30 Pro. Incredible night-time photography becomes incredible night-time videography as the Huawei SuperSpectrum Sensor’s superb photosensitivity and the f/1.6 large aperture lens allow more light in and enable “night vision”.
The Huawei SuperZoom Lens is also ideal for videos, as it is combined with OIS, and the optical zoom provides magnification at minimal quality loss. With it, people can capture great life moments on video that are recorded as accurately as they are experienced.
Huawei’s Dual Image Stabilisation Technology on the Huawei P30 Pro delivers professional image stabilisation support, so the smartphone can capture videos that look just like what they see, even when users are engaging in extreme sports.
With Huawei Dual-View Video, the Huawei P30 and P30 Pro use multiple cameras simultaneously to capture videos, meaning you can capture both the full view of a scene and close-ups. Impressively, you can even view these two perspectives at once on one screen, allowing users to make videos with real impact. This mode is particularly useful when filming large-scale events such as sport events, festivals and concerts.
Breathing life into design
The designs and colours of the Huawei P30 series are based on the concept of nature-inspired gradient colours. In the small-notch Huawei P30 Pro, two panes of double-curved glass form an invisible barrier that extends to the mid-frame, creating a slim look with a comfortable grip. The 6.47-inch Huawei P30 Pro and 6.1-inch Huawei P30 come in Breathing Crystal, Aurora and Black. The Huawei P30 Pro is also security savvy, with its In-Screen Fingerprint sensor that provides a larger fingerprint recognition area, which speeds up the unlocking process.
Pioneering technologies to redefine user experience
Other desirable features on the P30 series include:
- The Huawei P30 and Huawei P30 Pro are powered by the Kirin 980, Huawei’s latest and most powerful smartphone chipset for better performance and efficiency.
- The Huawei P30 Pro features a large 4,200mAh battery that supports the 40W Huawei SuperCharge, along with 15W Huawei Wireless Quick Charge and Wireless Reverse Charge.
- Smartphones in the Huawei P30 series come with high performance Bluetooth that address poor audio issues.
- Huawei P30 devices run on the latest EMUI 9.1 that uses a revolutionary Extendable Read-Only File System (EROFS) to boost system speed and increase efficiency.
- The Huawei P30 Series is the first to feature GPU Turbo 3.0, which significantly optimises gaming performance.
- Huawei Share OneHop facilitates faster transferring of files from a Huawei P30 device to a Huawei PC through a simple tap.
- The Huawei P30 and Huawei P30 Pro also support smart car key, so you can link your phone to select BMW or Audi vehicles.
More new products from Huawei
Along with the Huawei P30 series, Huawei also introduced a new tablet, a notebook, and two new smartwatches at the launch.
- The Huawei MateBook 13 – This revolutionary 13-inch notebook has a 3:2 FullView display with 10-point multi-touch option and a screen-to-body ratio of 88 percent. It features Huawei Share 3.0, which enables easy smartphone-to-PC cross-platform smart interconnectivity. Other elements designed with young consumers in mind include the Finger Gestures Screenshot, Fingerprint Button 2.0 and Dolby Atmos®.
- The Huawei Watch GT Active and the Huawei Watch GT Elegant – These smartwatches have an ultra-long battery life (two weeks for the Active and one week for the Elegant) and use an innovative dual-chipset and smart power-saving architecture that enables them to switch between performance and efficiency modes The Huawei Watch GT can be used for continuous 24-hour heart rate monitoring and supports a range of indoor and outdoor fitness activities, including triathlon mode. They also scientifically monitor a user’s sleep quality and identify typical sleep issues.
- The Huawei M5 lite – This 10.1-inch 1080P Full HD Display tablet has powerful quad speakers with an audio system tuned by Harman Kardon to deliver professional theatre quality sound and immersive entertainment. It comes with the M-Pen lite stylus, which has 2,048 layers of pressure sensitivity, so users can jot down notes or mark up an email easily and accurately. Its Children’s Corner feature includes parental control and five enhanced eye-comfort modes to protect your child's eyesight, such as smart reminders when the M5 lite is less than 25cm from your child’s face.