Five Rwandan tech startups to compete to make it to the Seedstars World Competition 2020/21
Five up-and-coming tech startups from Rwanda are set to participate at the Online Seedstars Kigali Competition 2020/21 on the October 28th, 10 am - 1 pm CAT.
The local winner will move on to the Regional Stage and compete for a spot at the Grand Finale, where the grand prize is US500k in equity investment. Seedstars is a Swiss-based private company which holds an annual global pitch competition for promising tech startups in emerging markets. This year, the organisation is holding the Seedstars World Competition 2020/21 online.
The selected startups are training to compete for the local winner title, which will allow them to move on to the Regional Stage of the competition. The Online Seedstars Kigali Competition 2020/21 sourced competing startups from start-ups who have the potential to scale.
“We are quite excited to see who will be the winner of Seedstars Kigali 2020 after receiving over 50 applications from interesting startups in the ecosystem. We’re also encouraged to see the resilient spirit of the entrepreneurs, despite being in the midst of a global pandemic.
Winners enter regional competition
The regional stage is expected to include over 20 other winners from all across Africa, shares Lorraine Davis, Community and Events Manager in Africa at Seedstars.
“Seedstars World is a great contributor to the growth of early-stage startup ecosystems in Africa. This is why the UN International Trade Centre through its #FastTrackTech Africa project has decided to collaborate with Seedstars to promote the most promising early-stage startups in Kigali. The startups will pitch in front of an experienced jury for an opportunity to participate at the Global stage pitching competition where they could receive investment; something much needed. We look forward to the event,” says John Ndabarasa, Startup Relations & Engagement Associate at #FastTrackTech Africa.
The local leg
For the Rwanda chapter, the five Kigali startups taking on the pitching stage are the following:
- Mobile Application Platform for Africa Ltd - a platform for SMEs, companies and service providers that helps them set up their online shop quickly and easily without the need for hiring software experts.
- NYEREKA TECH LTD - provides easy access and reliable electronic components or devices with related professional skills via its eCommerce platform.
- SAFE SANA Ltd - LPgas users can stay safe and healthy without fear of fire explosion leading to loss of lives and properties as the SAFE SANA offers its tech solution.
- Octan Group - a modern application that automates meal ordering and tracking services within a restaurant and offers a food pickup option.
- Rokkup - an on-demand staffing app, instantly connecting employers with local flexible workers.