Airtel Kenya, First Lady launch mobile clinic in Embu county
Airtel Kenta CEO Adil El Youssefi yesterday joined Her Excellency the First Lady Margaret Kenyatta for the official handover ceremony of the Airtel funded 34th “Beyond Zero” mobile clinic to Embu County. The mobile clinic was donated by the company on 29th October 2015 in support of the First Lady’s Beyond Zero campaign which aims at reducing high rates of maternal and child mortality in Kenya.
The fully-kitted mobile clinic was officially handed over to Embu County Governor Martin Nyaga Wambora on behalf of the people of Embu.
Speaking at Kangaru Girls High School in Embu town, the First Lady said the Beyond Zero initiative which began from a humble beginning is now growing strong to reach its target.
“The Beyond Zero initiative began as a small rivulet which grew into a stream and now, as we near our target, it is growing into a major river. It is our wish that this river will continue to water and nourish the lives of mothers and children with good health,” she said.
Airtel Kenya CEO Adil El Youssefi commended the First Lady’s commitment towards the Beyond Zero Campaign and for her passionate effort to make a difference in the lives of Kenyans.
“Airtel is delighted at the opportunity to be amongst the members of the Beyond Zero community and we would like to congratulate Her Excellency the First Lady Margaret Kenyatta on the success of this Campaign that continues to save more lives,” said Airtel Africa CEO Christian de Faria.
He added that Airtel is committed to promoting socio-economic development in the community through different programs such as Airtel Internet for Schools program which continues to allow hundreds of thousands of students across the country to have free 24 hours internet connection, benefiting from the unlimited amount of educational information available online hence broadening their learning.
In support of the government’s effort to improve health service provision in Kenya, Airtel has in the past launched health initiatives which include;
- Donation of space heaters to reduce infant mortality in Kiambu County hospitals
- Support of the Fountain Africa Trust Midwives maternal health program in Bungoma County
- Partnered with the Ministry of Health in the fight against Ebola
- Partnered with the Kenya National Blood Transfusion Service to run a blood donation drive during the World Blood Donor day celebrations on 14th June this year
- Doctors on call partnership with Medanta Africare
- Airtel partnered with Pan Africa Life Assurance Limited and MicroEnsure to launch Airtel Insurance which will offer Airtel customers in Kenya free life, accident and hospitalization insurance with increasing benefits based on their monthly airtime usage