Safaricom to switch off 600,000
TELECOMS| Sept. 29, 2012, 7:32 a.m.
Safaricom says it will comply with the directive to switch off services to all counterfeit handsets on its network from 30th September 2012 at 2359 hrs. Approximately 600,000 out of Safaricom’s 19.1 Million subscriber base will be affected by this switch off.
Company CEO Bob Collymore said: “We deeply regret the inconvenience that this switch off will cause to our innocent subscribers. We have been contacting all affected customers and providing them with affordable genuine options. Collymore added: “This exercise will only be successful if all operators play their part.”
For technical reasons, Safaricom will conduct the counterfeit handsets switch off in phases. The exchange of data with other operators for blocked handsets will begin by the 1st of October to ensure cross network blocking.
Collymore added: “We recognise that blocking handsets alone is not the long term solution and we call for more support to the CCK by related Government agencies to block entry and sale of the counterfeit devices and to step up prosecution of those who engage in the vice.”
Safaricom subscribers can also confirm the authenticity of their handsets by dialling *#06# to get the IMEI number, which they in turn must send to 1555.
MORE TELECOMS NEWS
Samsung: Nigeria a strategic marketSamsung Electronics West Africa says the Nigerian market is strategic to its business in sub-Saharan Africa. Read More
Ivory Coast builds 2 000 km fibre optic networkA 2 000 km fibre optic network is currently under construction in Ivory Coast, 1 600km of which will connect western and north-western parts of the country and 600 km to interlink cities and towns located in the north-eastern regions. Read More
TNM introduces new mobile internet servicesTelekom Networks Malawi (TNM), one if the country's two mobile phones services provider, on Wednesday stepped up another gear in its mobile internet services with the launch of what the company is calling 'Revolutionary Smart Data Package'. Read More
Airtel, British Council sign digital learning MOUAirtel Malawi has signed a three-year-long partnership with the British Council that will connect primary school classrooms in the country with ICT facilities. Read More
Burkina Faso makes available 20m new mobile numbersBurkina Faso has made available about 20 million new mobile numbers to help operators allocate them to their potential new users. Read More
NCC, NESREA close ranks on setbacks for BTSThe NCC and the National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency have harmonised their position on the appropriate setback distance for new telecoms BTS. Read More
Huawei to build Congo-Gabon networkHuawei has won the contract to build a fibre optic network that will interconnect Congo Brazzaville and Gabon. Read More
MTN Ghana wins ICT company of the year awardMTN Ghana, the leading telecommunications company in Ghana, has been adjudged the best Information Communication Technology Company of the Year at the 3rd edition of the Association of Ghana Industries (AGI) Awards. Read More
Airtel to divest Zambia, Rwanda tower assets to IHSBharti Airtel Limited today announced agreements under which IHS will acquire over 1,100 telecoms towers across Zambia and Rwanda. Read More
Togo’s 3rd mobile operator to be disclosed in 2015The identity of Togo’s third mobile operator will only be made public in 2015, the government said. Read More
FEATURED STORYPWC: Optimism abounds but a bumpy journey ahead for some
PwC’s ‘Capital Projects & infrastructure in East Africa, Southern Africa and West Africa,’ report says infrastructure spend in the region is projected to reach $180bn per annum by 2025.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHAfrica lags on digital migration
Only three African countries have so far completed the digital migration process, and serious issues are hampering the migration in other nations.