SA bank takes personal financial management online
INDUSTRY| Sept. 6, 2012, 10:10 a.m.
Yodlee today announced a partnership with South African bank Nedbank to power personal financial management (PFM) solutions for their customers throughout South Africa and in their offshore locations.
Nedbank's MyFinancialLife™ online offering is now available and, via Yodlee's account aggregation technology, consumers can calculate their net worth, analyze spending, budget, save for goals and more. Nedbank is Yodlee's first financial institution partner in South Africa, breaking new ground in providing personal financial management solutions to customers directly from a bank.
"PFM is a relatively new concept in South Africa, but we have seen rapid adoption and consumer acceptance of aggregation-powered money management services," said Bill Parsons, head of global sales at Yodlee. "Through partnerships with leading institutions like Nedbank, we're getting significant traction in South Africa and are thrilled to bring smart PFM tools to over five million more consumers."
Yodlee's account aggregation technology links account information from banks and non-banking service providers in a highly-secure environment. Nedbank's MyFinancialLife is a flexible, free PFM solution for individuals, families and micro-businesses.
At launch, MyFinancialLife™ provides six main functions to users, who can customize their dashboard in line with their individual financial interests & requirements:
- 'net worth calculation' – consolidated view of your financial position, based on financial accounts linked or non-financial assets added manually; for Nedbank clients this will be pre-populated for most Nedbank accounts.
- 'spend analysis' - graphical depiction of spend based on the categorized card and electronic transactions. Initially a manual intervention, the system will automatically recognize all your transactions repeated with the same supplier.
- 'budgeting' – budgeting functionality that allows you to track your actual spend against your planned spend.
- 'saving for a goal' – a goal-save tool that allows you to set goals, categorise them, choose an amount you would like to save during a specific timeframe - and then calculates how much should be put aside to meet your goal – such as saving for a holiday, education or buying a new car.
- 'alerts' - alerts, set on budgeting or goal-save functions according to individual needs, to be sent via e-mail or SMS. You can, for instance, set up alerts when 50% of your allowed credit card limit has been reached or when you have exceeded a budgeted amount on a specific spend category
- 'calendar view' – allows you to track debit orders against payments that need to be made, making it easy to view weekly, monthly or yearly transactions, ensuring that you have always planned to have sufficient funds available.
"At Nedbank, we're committed to empowering South Africans to achieve their financial goals. Secure, easy-to-use PFM tools that provide insight into one's full financial picture are essential to consumers' financial fitness," said Ingrid Johnson, Group Managing Executive Retail and Business Banking at Nedbank. "Yodlee helps make PFM a seamless, highly-secure experience for consumers at all stages of financial life."
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
GSMA case study: Nomanini enables rapid, reliable prepaid retail in informal marketsA new case study from GSMA has highlighted the Nomanini mobile point of sale terminal and cloud-based distribution platform. Read More
Citrix, Google enhance enterprise security and management of Android devicesXenMobile Supports Android for Work; Extends Citrix Leadership in Secure Mobile Workspace Solutions for the Broadest Array of Devices. Read More
Make life easier for your customers with recurring paymentsMerchants should implement recurring payments within their businesses to improve their own cash flow and reduce costs, but automatic billing can also help build customer loyalty through the added convenience. Read More
Accelya Solution to help Air Namibia to manage costs and profitabilityAir Namibia expands relationship with Accelya; selects cost management and flight profitability solutions. Read More
Wipro Invests R3.8 million in skills development, job creation in SAWipro Ltd, a leading global information technology, consulting and business process services company, has announced an investment of R3.8 million towards skills development and job creation in South Africa. Read More
Airtel Niger selects Ericsson for 3G network deploymentAirtel, Niger’s leading mobile service provider has named Ericsson as their exclusive 3G HSPA end-to-end hardware, software and related service vendor in Niger Republic. Read More
Orange Mali upgrades WiMAX infrastructureOrange Mali recently selected Alepo to enhance its WiMAX core infrastructure via Alepo’s high-performance AAA infrastructure. Read More
CommVault, Crayon partner to bring data management software to EMEA cloud service providersCommVault has announced that its data management platform would be available via EMEA cloud hosting partners through a new strategic aggregator partnership with Crayon, a global leader in service provider licensing, management and consultancy. Read More
Printronix announces partnership with Talk TechnologyPrintronix, a leading manufacturer of line printing solutions has signed an African distribution partnership for Africa with IT distributor Talk Technology. Read More
FEATURED STORYMalawi Govt denies clinging to ‘Cashgate’ software
The Malawi Government will not exclude the software brand that has been in use for the country’s Integrated Financial Management System (IFMIS), but it has rejected reports implying that it is ‘clinging’ to the old system.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHKenya’s digital TV battle hots up
Kenya’s journey to Digital TV broadcasting took a new turn this week, when the Communication Authority of Kenya (CAK) accused three local media firms of intent to disrupt the process.
COMPANY NEWSVMware unveils vCloud for NFV with Integrated OpenStack to accelerate service innovation
VMware, the global leader in virtualisation and cloud infrastructure, today debuted VMware vCloud for NFV, an integrated Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) platform that will combine VMware’s production-proven ...