SA bank takes personal financial management online
INDUSTRY| Sept. 6, 2012, 10:10 a.m.
Yodlee today announced a partnership with South African bank Nedbank to power personal financial management (PFM) solutions for their customers throughout South Africa and in their offshore locations.
Nedbank's MyFinancialLife™ online offering is now available and, via Yodlee's account aggregation technology, consumers can calculate their net worth, analyze spending, budget, save for goals and more. Nedbank is Yodlee's first financial institution partner in South Africa, breaking new ground in providing personal financial management solutions to customers directly from a bank.
"PFM is a relatively new concept in South Africa, but we have seen rapid adoption and consumer acceptance of aggregation-powered money management services," said Bill Parsons, head of global sales at Yodlee. "Through partnerships with leading institutions like Nedbank, we're getting significant traction in South Africa and are thrilled to bring smart PFM tools to over five million more consumers."
Yodlee's account aggregation technology links account information from banks and non-banking service providers in a highly-secure environment. Nedbank's MyFinancialLife is a flexible, free PFM solution for individuals, families and micro-businesses.
At launch, MyFinancialLife™ provides six main functions to users, who can customize their dashboard in line with their individual financial interests & requirements:
- 'net worth calculation' – consolidated view of your financial position, based on financial accounts linked or non-financial assets added manually; for Nedbank clients this will be pre-populated for most Nedbank accounts.
- 'spend analysis' - graphical depiction of spend based on the categorized card and electronic transactions. Initially a manual intervention, the system will automatically recognize all your transactions repeated with the same supplier.
- 'budgeting' – budgeting functionality that allows you to track your actual spend against your planned spend.
- 'saving for a goal' – a goal-save tool that allows you to set goals, categorise them, choose an amount you would like to save during a specific timeframe - and then calculates how much should be put aside to meet your goal – such as saving for a holiday, education or buying a new car.
- 'alerts' - alerts, set on budgeting or goal-save functions according to individual needs, to be sent via e-mail or SMS. You can, for instance, set up alerts when 50% of your allowed credit card limit has been reached or when you have exceeded a budgeted amount on a specific spend category
- 'calendar view' – allows you to track debit orders against payments that need to be made, making it easy to view weekly, monthly or yearly transactions, ensuring that you have always planned to have sufficient funds available.
"At Nedbank, we're committed to empowering South Africans to achieve their financial goals. Secure, easy-to-use PFM tools that provide insight into one's full financial picture are essential to consumers' financial fitness," said Ingrid Johnson, Group Managing Executive Retail and Business Banking at Nedbank. "Yodlee helps make PFM a seamless, highly-secure experience for consumers at all stages of financial life."
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
Silvertree invests over R20m in first seven months of 2015Cape Town-based Silvertree Internet Holdings has invested over R20m in existing and new consumer-focused technology companies in the first seven months of 2015, and has enjoyed month-on-month revenue growth of over 10% across the portfolio in 2015, and as much as 40% monthly for some ventures. Read More
WestconGroup Southern Africa and Aruba Networks in distribution partnershipA new distribution agreement will bring Aruba Networks’ product line to the Southern African region. Read More
Access Bank chooses CA Technologies to help enhance customer experienceAccess Bank, one of Nigeria's premier financial institutions, has deployed a range of CA Technologies solutions, from CA Southern Africa, aimed at taking service management to even higher levels; boosting customer service and enriching clients’ experiences through better technology availability. Read More
Elitecore Wi-Fi SMP enables a leading NEP for multiple carrier Wi-Fi rollouts in AfricaElitecore Technologies, a global provider of Wi-Fi Service Management Platform (SMP) announces that a global Network Equipment Provider (NEP) has selected Elitecore Wi-Fi SMP for its SP Wi-Fi projects which are operational across 10 countries in Africa. Read More
StorIT appointed Unitrends Distributor for MENAStorIT has announced that it has signed a distribution agreement with Unitrends. Read More
Portable solar power to the peopleSchneider Electric, a global specialist in energy management, is commercialising its solar powered portable LED lamps with mobile phone charger, the Mobiya TS 120S, in order to offer innovative, reliable and affordable products to people living without access to electricity. Read More
ZipZap from Paycorp is Microsoft’s mPOS solution of choiceZipZap, the mobile POS (mPOS) solution from Paycorp, has partnered with Microsoft Mobile to offer businesses and retailers a mobile solution that enables them to accept payments from customers wherever they are, transacting anywhere, anytime. Read More
Frost & Sullivan applauds PCCW Global for addressing SSA connectivity demandsPCCW Global, the international operating division of HKT, Hong Kong’s premier telecommunications service provider, has been recognized by Frost & Sullivan with the 2015 Sub-Saharan African (SSA) Connectivity Solutions Customer Value Leadership Award. Read More
Airtel Money VISA card continues to drive financial inclusionOne year after Airtel Kenya launched the Airtel Money VISA card, the debit card continues to allow easy access funds 24 hours a day, bringing new point-of-sale and ATM transaction options to users. Read More
Ricoh’s improved A3 multifunction devices monitor, report and connect to the cloudRicoh has released its new 3054SP/3554SP series of A3 black-and-white multifunction devices, for medium to large offices, that support intelligent document functionality. Read More
FEATURED STORYYoung innovators shine during pitch sessions
Botswana saw an array of upcoming tech wizards selling their ideas during the Vendors’ Day pitch sessions this week.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHHigh tech homes: Just press play
High tech, digital homes where everything is automated and connected aren’t the stuff of science fiction any longer, says BNC Technology.