SA bank takes personal financial management online
INDUSTRYBy BiztechAfrica - Sept. 6, 2012, 10:10 a.m.
Yodlee today announced a partnership with South African bank Nedbank to power personal financial management (PFM) solutions for their customers throughout South Africa and in their offshore locations.
Nedbank's MyFinancialLife™ online offering is now available and, via Yodlee's account aggregation technology, consumers can calculate their net worth, analyze spending, budget, save for goals and more. Nedbank is Yodlee's first financial institution partner in South Africa, breaking new ground in providing personal financial management solutions to customers directly from a bank.
"PFM is a relatively new concept in South Africa, but we have seen rapid adoption and consumer acceptance of aggregation-powered money management services," said Bill Parsons, head of global sales at Yodlee. "Through partnerships with leading institutions like Nedbank, we're getting significant traction in South Africa and are thrilled to bring smart PFM tools to over five million more consumers."
Yodlee's account aggregation technology links account information from banks and non-banking service providers in a highly-secure environment. Nedbank's MyFinancialLife is a flexible, free PFM solution for individuals, families and micro-businesses.
At launch, MyFinancialLife™ provides six main functions to users, who can customize their dashboard in line with their individual financial interests & requirements:
- 'net worth calculation' – consolidated view of your financial position, based on financial accounts linked or non-financial assets added manually; for Nedbank clients this will be pre-populated for most Nedbank accounts.
- 'spend analysis' - graphical depiction of spend based on the categorized card and electronic transactions. Initially a manual intervention, the system will automatically recognize all your transactions repeated with the same supplier.
- 'budgeting' – budgeting functionality that allows you to track your actual spend against your planned spend.
- 'saving for a goal' – a goal-save tool that allows you to set goals, categorise them, choose an amount you would like to save during a specific timeframe - and then calculates how much should be put aside to meet your goal – such as saving for a holiday, education or buying a new car.
- 'alerts' - alerts, set on budgeting or goal-save functions according to individual needs, to be sent via e-mail or SMS. You can, for instance, set up alerts when 50% of your allowed credit card limit has been reached or when you have exceeded a budgeted amount on a specific spend category
- 'calendar view' – allows you to track debit orders against payments that need to be made, making it easy to view weekly, monthly or yearly transactions, ensuring that you have always planned to have sufficient funds available.
"At Nedbank, we're committed to empowering South Africans to achieve their financial goals. Secure, easy-to-use PFM tools that provide insight into one's full financial picture are essential to consumers' financial fitness," said Ingrid Johnson, Group Managing Executive Retail and Business Banking at Nedbank. "Yodlee helps make PFM a seamless, highly-secure experience for consumers at all stages of financial life."
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
Miro named official distributor of Deliberant and LigoWaveDeliberant Inc has appointed Miro as an official distributor for their Deliberant and LigoWave products in Southern Africa. Read More
Business Connexion achieves 2nd tier datacentre certification for SA datacentreThe Uptime Institute, The Global Data Centre Authority, has awarded Business Connexion its 2nd Tier IV datacentre certification for its New Road Data Centre 2 (NDC2). Read More
Store, stream and share on your tablet or smartphoneStore, stream and share on your tablet or smartphone with the Verbatim MediaShare Wireless from DCC. Read More
AccTech Namibia crowned as Sage ERP Africa’s top Namibian PartnerAccTech Namibia, a regional alliance partner of Sage Premier Partner AccTech Systems, was recently crowned Namibia’s top business partner at the Sage ERP Africa’s annual partner conference. Read More
Huawei opens its first store in AfricaHuawei, a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider, has announced the launch of its first store in Africa. Read More
SAP unveils next step for the cloud powered by SAP HANACustomers Can Now Benefit from New Pricing and Access to the SAP HANA® Platform; SAP HANA Marketplace Simplifies Discovery, Purchase and Deployment. Read More
MTN SA standardises international call ratesMTN South Africa has standardised international call rates across its prepaid, top up, and contract price plans. Read More
First National Bank Chooses 1E to Lower Energy Consumption1E has announced that First National Bank (FNB) of South Africa has selected NightWatchman Enterprise to reduce energy consumption, on its estate of 8,500 workstations, during peak demand times, overnight and during weekends. Read More
Attix5, Pamoja at the epicentre of cloud service to AfricaGlobal provider of data protection software and cloud solutions, Attix5, says it is using its strategic partnership with Pamoja, the Cloud services business unit of Pan-African ICT enabler SEACOM, to meet an increasing need for cloud services across Africa. Read More
FEATURED STORYMACRA demystifies spectrum management
Malawi's regulator explains the issues around spectrum allocation. Gregory Gondwe reports.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHYouthConnekt launches Mobile Apps for Human Development Challenge in Rwanda
Rwanda’s Ministry of Youth and ICT and the UNDP, in close collaboration with Motorola Solutions, will power a Mobile App Challenge that will be implemented by YouthConnekt.