SA bank takes personal financial management online
INDUSTRY| Sept. 6, 2012, 10:10 a.m.
Yodlee today announced a partnership with South African bank Nedbank to power personal financial management (PFM) solutions for their customers throughout South Africa and in their offshore locations.
Nedbank's MyFinancialLife™ online offering is now available and, via Yodlee's account aggregation technology, consumers can calculate their net worth, analyze spending, budget, save for goals and more. Nedbank is Yodlee's first financial institution partner in South Africa, breaking new ground in providing personal financial management solutions to customers directly from a bank.
"PFM is a relatively new concept in South Africa, but we have seen rapid adoption and consumer acceptance of aggregation-powered money management services," said Bill Parsons, head of global sales at Yodlee. "Through partnerships with leading institutions like Nedbank, we're getting significant traction in South Africa and are thrilled to bring smart PFM tools to over five million more consumers."
Yodlee's account aggregation technology links account information from banks and non-banking service providers in a highly-secure environment. Nedbank's MyFinancialLife is a flexible, free PFM solution for individuals, families and micro-businesses.
At launch, MyFinancialLife™ provides six main functions to users, who can customize their dashboard in line with their individual financial interests & requirements:
- 'net worth calculation' – consolidated view of your financial position, based on financial accounts linked or non-financial assets added manually; for Nedbank clients this will be pre-populated for most Nedbank accounts.
- 'spend analysis' - graphical depiction of spend based on the categorized card and electronic transactions. Initially a manual intervention, the system will automatically recognize all your transactions repeated with the same supplier.
- 'budgeting' – budgeting functionality that allows you to track your actual spend against your planned spend.
- 'saving for a goal' – a goal-save tool that allows you to set goals, categorise them, choose an amount you would like to save during a specific timeframe - and then calculates how much should be put aside to meet your goal – such as saving for a holiday, education or buying a new car.
- 'alerts' - alerts, set on budgeting or goal-save functions according to individual needs, to be sent via e-mail or SMS. You can, for instance, set up alerts when 50% of your allowed credit card limit has been reached or when you have exceeded a budgeted amount on a specific spend category
- 'calendar view' – allows you to track debit orders against payments that need to be made, making it easy to view weekly, monthly or yearly transactions, ensuring that you have always planned to have sufficient funds available.
"At Nedbank, we're committed to empowering South Africans to achieve their financial goals. Secure, easy-to-use PFM tools that provide insight into one's full financial picture are essential to consumers' financial fitness," said Ingrid Johnson, Group Managing Executive Retail and Business Banking at Nedbank. "Yodlee helps make PFM a seamless, highly-secure experience for consumers at all stages of financial life."
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
Rapid Response launched with Pamoja Cloud serviceRapid Response, an award winning mobile emergency application, is now available to South African mobile-users, providing a fast link to help at hand when they need it most. Read More
MTN App of the Year: Zapper zaps Best Microsoft app, wins Consumer Choice AwardAlready taking the restaurant business by storm across South Africa, Europe and beyond, secure payment app Zapper has notched up two wins at MTN’s App of the Year competition. Read More
Retailer spend on technology for efficiency and customer satisfaction is upXON Retail Solutions has enjoyed phenomenal success in the past financial year by gaining a 25% revenue growth over the previous year, which demonstrates robust commitment from retailers to improve operational efficiencies and seek improved customer satisfaction. Read More
Mota-Engil Africa uses Integr8 for infrastructure deployment projectIntegr8, an established leading provider of managed ICT services, has completed a complex, enterprise-wide virtual server and storage infrastructure integration project for global multi-disciplinary engineering company Mota-Engil. Read More
Riverbed SteelCentral AppInternals 9.0 adds mobile app support and HDAnalyticsAppInternals now captures second-by-second application performance insights in a business context from device to data centre. Read More
SureSwipe launches SureSwipe Move - an MPOS solution for SMEs on the goSureSwipe, a leading Payment Services Provider (PSP), has launched the SureSwipe Move Mobile Point of Sale (MPOS) solution in South Africa. Read More
Riverbed advances partnership with MicrosoftRiverbed Technology, the leader in application performance infrastructure, has announced that it is one of the first partners to join the new Microsoft Azure Certified program. Read More
Survey proves paperless SA office a distant dreamDespite modern technology resulting in many businesses now working with electronic documents, 90% of local businesses are still storing original paper documents, according to the 2014 Metrofile Information and Records Management Trends Index. Read More
Create an app-ready network and connect with trillion dollar industryThe size, scope and wealth of opportunity that characterises IoT continue to attract the attention of businesses, especially industry leaders, says Kemp Technologies. Read More
FEATURED STORYNigeria’s VAS providers ‘on brink of extinction’
WASPAN chief Simon Aderinlola says unless the regulator intervenes, WASPAN may not have anything left to regulate. Kokumo Goodie reports.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHKenya rolls out e-extension to improve agriculture
In a bid to curb the overwhelmed number of agricultural extension officers in Kenya, the ministry of agriculture is embracing technology with their introduction of E-Extension services, which are aimed at reaching out to over 7 million farmers annually.
COMPANY NEWSSchneider Electric trains 50,000 in energy management
Schneider Electric has trained more than 50,000 people in energy management as part of its BipBop energy access programme.