SA bank takes personal financial management online
INDUSTRY| Sept. 6, 2012, 10:10 a.m.
Yodlee today announced a partnership with South African bank Nedbank to power personal financial management (PFM) solutions for their customers throughout South Africa and in their offshore locations.
Nedbank's MyFinancialLife™ online offering is now available and, via Yodlee's account aggregation technology, consumers can calculate their net worth, analyze spending, budget, save for goals and more. Nedbank is Yodlee's first financial institution partner in South Africa, breaking new ground in providing personal financial management solutions to customers directly from a bank.
"PFM is a relatively new concept in South Africa, but we have seen rapid adoption and consumer acceptance of aggregation-powered money management services," said Bill Parsons, head of global sales at Yodlee. "Through partnerships with leading institutions like Nedbank, we're getting significant traction in South Africa and are thrilled to bring smart PFM tools to over five million more consumers."
Yodlee's account aggregation technology links account information from banks and non-banking service providers in a highly-secure environment. Nedbank's MyFinancialLife is a flexible, free PFM solution for individuals, families and micro-businesses.
At launch, MyFinancialLife™ provides six main functions to users, who can customize their dashboard in line with their individual financial interests & requirements:
- 'net worth calculation' – consolidated view of your financial position, based on financial accounts linked or non-financial assets added manually; for Nedbank clients this will be pre-populated for most Nedbank accounts.
- 'spend analysis' - graphical depiction of spend based on the categorized card and electronic transactions. Initially a manual intervention, the system will automatically recognize all your transactions repeated with the same supplier.
- 'budgeting' – budgeting functionality that allows you to track your actual spend against your planned spend.
- 'saving for a goal' – a goal-save tool that allows you to set goals, categorise them, choose an amount you would like to save during a specific timeframe - and then calculates how much should be put aside to meet your goal – such as saving for a holiday, education or buying a new car.
- 'alerts' - alerts, set on budgeting or goal-save functions according to individual needs, to be sent via e-mail or SMS. You can, for instance, set up alerts when 50% of your allowed credit card limit has been reached or when you have exceeded a budgeted amount on a specific spend category
- 'calendar view' – allows you to track debit orders against payments that need to be made, making it easy to view weekly, monthly or yearly transactions, ensuring that you have always planned to have sufficient funds available.
"At Nedbank, we're committed to empowering South Africans to achieve their financial goals. Secure, easy-to-use PFM tools that provide insight into one's full financial picture are essential to consumers' financial fitness," said Ingrid Johnson, Group Managing Executive Retail and Business Banking at Nedbank. "Yodlee helps make PFM a seamless, highly-secure experience for consumers at all stages of financial life."
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
Five good reasons to buy properly licensed business softwareIf you’re running a small business on a tight budget, you might be tempted to think of pirating your accounting or ERP software as a harmless way to save a bit of money. Think again - that pirated software could end up costing you more than you would have needed ... Read More
Q-KON enlarges its African footprint with Newtec certified partnershipQ-KON has recently boosted its footprint into Africa by establishing its partnership with the global Newtec Business Partner Program (bePART®) and is therefore an official distributor of Newtec satcom products. Read More
Tigo Ghana records boost in voice, data subscriptionsTigo Ghana continues to make strides in the Ghanaian telecoms industry following the latest release of the National Communication Authority’s Mobile Voice and Data Subscription figures for the month of January 2015. Read More
iWayAfrica Zimbabwe achieves Cisco Certified Partner StatusiWayAfrica Zimbabwe, a Gondwana International Network (GIN) company has been awarded its Cisco Select Certified Partner status. Read More
GSMA case study: Nomanini enables rapid, reliable prepaid retail in informal marketsA new case study from GSMA has highlighted the Nomanini mobile point of sale terminal and cloud-based distribution platform. Read More
Citrix, Google enhance enterprise security and management of Android devicesXenMobile Supports Android for Work; Extends Citrix Leadership in Secure Mobile Workspace Solutions for the Broadest Array of Devices. Read More
Make life easier for your customers with recurring paymentsMerchants should implement recurring payments within their businesses to improve their own cash flow and reduce costs, but automatic billing can also help build customer loyalty through the added convenience. Read More
Accelya Solution to help Air Namibia to manage costs and profitabilityAir Namibia expands relationship with Accelya; selects cost management and flight profitability solutions. Read More
Wipro Invests R3.8 million in skills development, job creation in SAWipro Ltd, a leading global information technology, consulting and business process services company, has announced an investment of R3.8 million towards skills development and job creation in South Africa. Read More
Airtel Niger selects Ericsson for 3G network deploymentAirtel, Niger’s leading mobile service provider has named Ericsson as their exclusive 3G HSPA end-to-end hardware, software and related service vendor in Niger Republic. Read More
FEATURED STORYe-commerce space untapped, says phonekings head
E-commerce is the future, says the head of a new online electronics mall launched in Nigeria. Tayo Olusanya spoke to Kokumo Goodie in Lagos.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHVillagers get solar training at Barefoot College
The Botswana Human Resource Development Council (HRDC) has seconded seven semi-illiterate mostly Ngwatle villagers for a six month solar electrification training course at the famed Barefoot College in India.
COMPANY NEWSSchneider Electric sponsored runner wins 2015 Paris Marathon
Ethiopian runner, Meseret Mengistu (26), has won the prestigious 2015 Schneider Electric Marathon de Paris women’s race in 2:23:24.CNN, MultiChoice launch 20th African Journalist Awards
CNN International and MultiChoice this week officially launched the CNN MultiChoice African Journalist 2015 Awards.