SA bank takes personal financial management online
INDUSTRY| Sept. 6, 2012, 10:10 a.m.
Yodlee today announced a partnership with South African bank Nedbank to power personal financial management (PFM) solutions for their customers throughout South Africa and in their offshore locations.
Nedbank's MyFinancialLife™ online offering is now available and, via Yodlee's account aggregation technology, consumers can calculate their net worth, analyze spending, budget, save for goals and more. Nedbank is Yodlee's first financial institution partner in South Africa, breaking new ground in providing personal financial management solutions to customers directly from a bank.
"PFM is a relatively new concept in South Africa, but we have seen rapid adoption and consumer acceptance of aggregation-powered money management services," said Bill Parsons, head of global sales at Yodlee. "Through partnerships with leading institutions like Nedbank, we're getting significant traction in South Africa and are thrilled to bring smart PFM tools to over five million more consumers."
Yodlee's account aggregation technology links account information from banks and non-banking service providers in a highly-secure environment. Nedbank's MyFinancialLife is a flexible, free PFM solution for individuals, families and micro-businesses.
At launch, MyFinancialLife™ provides six main functions to users, who can customize their dashboard in line with their individual financial interests & requirements:
- 'net worth calculation' – consolidated view of your financial position, based on financial accounts linked or non-financial assets added manually; for Nedbank clients this will be pre-populated for most Nedbank accounts.
- 'spend analysis' - graphical depiction of spend based on the categorized card and electronic transactions. Initially a manual intervention, the system will automatically recognize all your transactions repeated with the same supplier.
- 'budgeting' – budgeting functionality that allows you to track your actual spend against your planned spend.
- 'saving for a goal' – a goal-save tool that allows you to set goals, categorise them, choose an amount you would like to save during a specific timeframe - and then calculates how much should be put aside to meet your goal – such as saving for a holiday, education or buying a new car.
- 'alerts' - alerts, set on budgeting or goal-save functions according to individual needs, to be sent via e-mail or SMS. You can, for instance, set up alerts when 50% of your allowed credit card limit has been reached or when you have exceeded a budgeted amount on a specific spend category
- 'calendar view' – allows you to track debit orders against payments that need to be made, making it easy to view weekly, monthly or yearly transactions, ensuring that you have always planned to have sufficient funds available.
"At Nedbank, we're committed to empowering South Africans to achieve their financial goals. Secure, easy-to-use PFM tools that provide insight into one's full financial picture are essential to consumers' financial fitness," said Ingrid Johnson, Group Managing Executive Retail and Business Banking at Nedbank. "Yodlee helps make PFM a seamless, highly-secure experience for consumers at all stages of financial life."
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
Case study: How Google Cloud Platform powers Nomanini’s payments platformGoogle has commended South African-based enterprise payments platform provider, Nomanini, for its role in modernising informal markets using Google products. Read More
Eutelsat partners with Camusat to deliver turnkey solutions to mobile operatorsEutelsat Communications, one of the world's leading satellite operators, and Camusat, a market leader in implementing telecom infrastructures, have entered into a partnership agreement that will enhance turnkey connectivity solutions for mobile operators in Sub-Saharan Africa. Read More
World Panel inks deal with Vodacom for mobile electricity solutionWorld Panel Inc. has showcased its latest products at AfricaCom and announced a deal with Vodacom as a key retail partner to sell its new SunStream in select stores. Read More
AMOTEL appoints WTL as its first supplier for GSM and Data Networks in rural TanzaniaWorld Telecom Labs (WTL) today announced that it has been appointed by AMOTEL to bring voice and data to remote rural villages close to Lake Tanganyika in the Katavi Region. Read More
CA Southern Africa Road Show brings Digital Transformation in the Application Economy to NigeriaThe CA Southern Africa roadshow, which successfully launched in Kenya and Botswana, arrived in Lagos, Nigeria on November 3, where it showcased products and solutions that fuel digital transformation. Read More
Dimension Data launched managed security services in MEADimension Data has deployed a new suite of standardised managed and cloud-based services to tackle current and emerging security threats. Read More
Advanced cyber threats on the increase in energy sectorEnergy businesses are increasingly attractive targets for cyber attackers given their high visibility, central role in the world economy and the politically sensitive nature of their global operations, says Arbor Networks. Read More
Gemalto protects banks and card issuers against Card-Not-Present fraud with next generation paymentGemalto, the world leader in digital security, announces the launch of Dynamic Code Verification, a comprehensive payment security solution that protects against Card-Not-Present (CNP) fraud on-line. Read More
ESET launches Smart Security 9 and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9ESET has announced the availability of its new security solutions for Windows home users: ESET Smart Security 9 and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9. Read More
Jasco helps e.tv implement digital archive with Oracle Content Storage ManagementWhen e.tv launched its multichannel offering in October 2013 through Openview HD satellite and began to diversify its content on digital platforms, the need for digital archiving and long-term content storage became an imperative. The channel turned to Jasco Broadcast Solutions and the Oracle DIVA Content Management System (CMS ... Read More
FEATURED STORYeCommerce in Africa urged to take advantage of mobile
The Executive Chairman of Alltel has urged operators of eCommerce in Ghana and Africa as a whole to take advantage of the current trend for Africans to trade online via their mobile handsets.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHNigeria needs $25b investment in broadband, says Wood
Telecoms executive Adrian Wood speaks to Kokumo Goodie about investment potential in Nigeria.