Rwanda starts NICI III
Phase 3 of Rwanda’s far-reaching ICT development plan is officially underway.
This follows the successful conclusion of phases 1 and 2 – each a four-year stage in which ICT infrastructure and enabling environment groundwork was concluded.
Rwanda’s Minister in the President’s office in charge of ICT, Ignace Gatare, said lessons learned during NICI II implementation had been widely considered in the development of NIC III. In this phase, emphasis will be placed on the development of services in the following five focus areas:
- Skills development aims to develop a high quality skill and knowledge base leveraging ICT
- Private Sector Development aims to develop a vibrant, competitive, and innovative ICT sector/ ICT enabled private sector
- Community Development aims to empower and transform communities through improved access to information and services
- E-Government (e-GOV) aims to improve government operational efficiency and service delivery
- Cyber Security (CS) aims to secure Rwanda’s cyberspace and information assets
The NICI III plan will run from 2011 to 2015.