Reporters challenge Ghana NCA
GOVERNMENT| Sept. 8, 2011, 7:26 p.m.
By Nana Appiah Acquaye, Accra, Ghana
Ghana’s Network of Communications Reporters (NCR) has challenged the National Communication Authority (NCA) to reveal the full figures relating to mobile number portability.
The journalists, who specialise in ICT reporting, have criticized the authority for being slow to update statistics relating to operator subscriber numbers, among other things.
NCR Dean Charles Benoni Okine called on the NCA to release a full report on the market performances of all the telecommunication networks in the country, to give Ghanaians insight into which network is gaining or losing as a result of the implementation of mobile number portability. MNP came into effect in Ghana two months ago.
In an interview with Biztechafrica, Okine said releasing this information to the public would create a new level of transparency in the operations of the national regulator and the network providers.
He described as “unfortunate” the NCA’s failure to release full and accurate figures indicating which of the networks was gaining or losing as a result of the implementation of the MNP. The NCA recently issued a statement announcing that since the commencement of MNP, a total of 64,657 mobile phone subscribers had taken advantage of the system to move from one mobile service provider to another while retaining their mobile number.
Commenting on a statement issued out by the NCR, Mr. Okine noted that mobile network operators were churning out their own numbers with regards to the number of subscribers they hold in the country.
“It is amazing that since the introduction of MNP a couple of months ago, the NCA has not been able to [fully] update its market statistics,” he said.
MORE GOVERNMENT NEWS
Senegal govt, AfDB to build US$120 million digital parkThe Senegalese government and the African Development Bank (AfDB) will join forces to put aside about US$20 million and US$100 million, respectively, to build a mega-digital park in the city of Diamniadio. Read More
Govt confirms NATCOM’s $252m Nitel/Mtel purchaseThe Federal Government of Nigeria has confirmed the sale of former state-run but now moribund telco, the Nigerian Telecommunication (Nitel) and its mobile arm, Mtel to NATCOM Consortium for $252 million. Read More
Angola takes science and technology roadshow to schoolsAngola’s Minister of Science and Technology has hailed a programme carried out this year to increase school learners’ understanding of science, technology and innovation. Read More
Senegal to issue smart ID, voter’s cardsThe government of Senegal is planning to issue new smart ID documents and voter’s cards, a project it said will strengthen the administration and fight identity theft. Read More
MTN, Orange, Cameroon govt launch Mobile Tax serviceThe Cameroonian government has launched a new tax service called Mobile Tax, in association with mobile operators MTN and Orange. Read More
BTCL IPO date reset againThe embattled BTCL IPO launch date has not seen the last of its changes yet. Read More
Botswana tops Africa Prosperity ReportBotswana tops the 2014 Africa Prosperity Report, as the continent enjoys unprecedented economic upturn, but Africa faces new challenges in gender gap and personal freedom. Read More
Mali Digital Plan 2020 to reorganise economyThe coordinator of Mali’s proposed ICT development strategy believes digital technologies have the potential to revolutionise people’s lifestyle and working relationships, boost culture and improve education, among others. Read More
Nigeria lures broadband investors with incentivesNigeria has highlighted opportunities and incentives for would-be investors, on the sidelines of ITU Telecom World. Read More
Senegal, World Bank launch mobile survey on living conditionsA household survey called A l’écoute du Sénégal ("Listening to Senegal") was launched late last week in this West African nation by the Senegalese government in association with the World Bank. Read More
FEATURED STORYPWC: Optimism abounds but a bumpy journey ahead for some
PwC’s ‘Capital Projects & infrastructure in East Africa, Southern Africa and West Africa,’ report says infrastructure spend in the region is projected to reach $180bn per annum by 2025.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHAfrica lags on digital migration
Only three African countries have so far completed the digital migration process, and serious issues are hampering the migration in other nations.