POTRAZ wants sharing mandatory
GOVERNMENT| July 26, 2012, 11:07 a.m.
By Alfonce Mbizwo, Harare, Zimbabwe
The Posts and Telecommunication Authority of Zimbabwe (POTRAZ) wants legislation that compels local mobile service providers to share infrastructure before they are issued with new operational licences.
Potraz director general Charles Sibanda told the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Media, Information and Communication Technology said service providers were only agreeing to share base stations when there was a commercial benefits.
"We will be addressing these issues in the coming licensing regime. Their licenses are now coming to an end,” he said.
“The current license regime for mobile operators allows them to build infrastructure and services, they are offering both infrastructure and services and we will be looking into that so that they share infrastructure and only compete on services.”
Sibanda said Potraz had raised more than USD44 million in Universal Services Fund in the past three years, with telephony services providing the bulk of the money, USD41,3 million while internet access providers contributed USD2million.
Potraz used the money to construct base stations in a number of under developed areas that were due for commissioning while other projects were still at tender stage.
Sibanda said Potraz had penalized some service providers for poor service.
“We have penalised them but we do not go to the press to announce that we have penalised this operator,” Sibanda said.
However last week, Econet chief executive Douglas Mboweni told the same committee that his company was sharing 300 base stations with Telecel, Telone, NRZ and local authorities. Only NetOne did not want to share. He noted that before the expansion, Econet had approached NetOne for infrastructure sharing but they had refused.
“And now because Econet has grown big after the expansion, the same network is crying foul that we do not want to share,” he said.
MORE GOVERNMENT NEWS
Senegal govt, AfDB to build US$120 million digital parkThe Senegalese government and the African Development Bank (AfDB) will join forces to put aside about US$20 million and US$100 million, respectively, to build a mega-digital park in the city of Diamniadio. Read More
Govt confirms NATCOM’s $252m Nitel/Mtel purchaseThe Federal Government of Nigeria has confirmed the sale of former state-run but now moribund telco, the Nigerian Telecommunication (Nitel) and its mobile arm, Mtel to NATCOM Consortium for $252 million. Read More
Angola takes science and technology roadshow to schoolsAngola’s Minister of Science and Technology has hailed a programme carried out this year to increase school learners’ understanding of science, technology and innovation. Read More
Senegal to issue smart ID, voter’s cardsThe government of Senegal is planning to issue new smart ID documents and voter’s cards, a project it said will strengthen the administration and fight identity theft. Read More
MTN, Orange, Cameroon govt launch Mobile Tax serviceThe Cameroonian government has launched a new tax service called Mobile Tax, in association with mobile operators MTN and Orange. Read More
BTCL IPO date reset againThe embattled BTCL IPO launch date has not seen the last of its changes yet. Read More
Botswana tops Africa Prosperity ReportBotswana tops the 2014 Africa Prosperity Report, as the continent enjoys unprecedented economic upturn, but Africa faces new challenges in gender gap and personal freedom. Read More
Mali Digital Plan 2020 to reorganise economyThe coordinator of Mali’s proposed ICT development strategy believes digital technologies have the potential to revolutionise people’s lifestyle and working relationships, boost culture and improve education, among others. Read More
Nigeria lures broadband investors with incentivesNigeria has highlighted opportunities and incentives for would-be investors, on the sidelines of ITU Telecom World. Read More
Senegal, World Bank launch mobile survey on living conditionsA household survey called A l’écoute du Sénégal ("Listening to Senegal") was launched late last week in this West African nation by the Senegalese government in association with the World Bank. Read More
FEATURED STORYPWC: Optimism abounds but a bumpy journey ahead for some
PwC’s ‘Capital Projects & infrastructure in East Africa, Southern Africa and West Africa,’ report says infrastructure spend in the region is projected to reach $180bn per annum by 2025.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHAfrica lags on digital migration
Only three African countries have so far completed the digital migration process, and serious issues are hampering the migration in other nations.