No postponement of counterfeit switch-off
GOVERNMENT| Sept. 21, 2012, 1:18 p.m.
Kenya’s telecoms regulator has warned that there will be no postponement of the 30 September cut-off of services to counterfeit handsets.
CCK Director General Francis Wangusi said in a statement that the Commission had issued its directive to operators in May.
The statement said: “Upon receipt of the CCK directive, the mobile operators reverted with the plea that the Commission reviews its decision in order to allow time for greater consultation on the best way forward in implementing this regulatory decision. Subsequently, a technical committee was set up, made up of representatives from the mobile telecoms industry, relevant government agencies, device manufacturers, the Police and CCK, to discuss how best to rid the mobile telecoms market of counterfeit devices with minimal interruptions to the industry and consumers.”
Wangusi noted that after extensive deliberations, the committee had recommended that the switch off of counterfeit handsets should be preceded by a public awareness campaign to sensitize consumers and the general public on counterfeit handsets including the dangers of using fake devices. The committee had also resolved that there was need to set up an intelligent database for use by subscribers in confirming the status of their handsets on a real time basis.
Subsequently, CCK rolled out a three month public awareness campaign, which started in June 2012. The campaign is now on its tail end, and is expected to come to a close soon.
At the same time, the Commission in liaison with the device/equipment manufacturers facilitated the setup of the intelligent database with the kind support of the GSM Association. The system, which works by way of sending an SMS bearing the 15-digit number unique to each mobile handset, also known as the International Mobile Equipment Identifier (IMEI) to 1555, has been in use for the last three months.
The statement said the system, which has proven robust in accommodating subscriber queries, would remain in force until such a time that the menace of counterfeit handsets is adequately dealt with.
Wangusi said: “We are pleased to note that to date, close to 10 million queries have been made to the system. This represents slightly more than a third of the total subscriber base of 29.7 million. We have noted with satisfaction that the number of confirmations done through the system have been increasing dramatically as the deadline for switch-off approaches. We wish to urge Kenyans to make use of this system to confirm the status of their mobile handsets in good time to avoid disconnection come the end of this month. We also wish to remind Kenyans that the first three confirmatory SMS messages to the database are free of charge, after which the normal rates for SMS shall apply."
MORE GOVERNMENT NEWS
Cashless Africa 'achievable through partnerships'The Alliance for Financial Inclusion (AFI) renewed its partnership with MasterCard at the African Mobile Phone Financial Services Policy Initiative (AMPI) meeting held in Dakar, Senegal this week. Read More
ICT CS launches free Internet for Schools programme in Machakos CountyKenya’s ICT Cabinet Secretary Joe Mucheru has lauded Airtel for its commitment to support e-learning in Schools by providing free internet connections to schools in Kenya through the company’s Free Internet for Schools programme. Read More
BITC launches online trade portalAs part of efforts to improve trade facilitation, the Botswana government, through the Botswana Investment and Trade Centre (BITC), has launched a web-based platform designed to help improve the ease of doing business. Read More
Ghana MPs struggle with digitised chamberGhana’s parliament almost came to a standstill earlier this week, when members of parliament battled to make use of new digitised desks installed in the chamber. Read More
Over 10,000 applications for BTCL sharesBatswana have come out in record numbers to submit their Offers for BTCL shares, with around 1,000 applications per day at Barclays Bank branches across Botswana. Read More
KRA announces key Customs reformsThe Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) has announced a variety of reform measures geared at enhancing national security and efficiency in Customs management. Read More
N780b fine: MTN opts for out-of-court-settlement with NCCMTN Nigeria has asked for an out-of-court settlement in the suit it filed against the Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC). Read More
MTN fine hearing adjournedThe court hearing on the fine imposed by Nigeria’s NCC against MTN has been adjourned to March. Read More
Nigerian ComTech minister, stakeholders hold communications retreatNigerian ICT stakeholders are set for Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, this weekend to attend the 2016 Communications Sector Retreat. Read More
Lagos advises telecoms contractors to display project info boardThe General Manager, Lagos State Infrastructure Maintenance and Regulatory Agency (LASIMRA), Mr. Babajide Odekunle, has warned contractors handling ongoing infrastructure projects for telecoms firms in the state to display Project Information Boards. Read More
FEATURED STORYViber Spreads Good Vibes in Africa with the introduction of public chats
Viber, one of the leading messaging and calling apps with more than 664 million unique users worldwide, has opened its latest social channel ‘Public Chats’ to partners in Africa and the Middle East.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHPoised for greater heights – Roshi Motman, AfricaCom CEO of the Year Winner
Roshi Motman is not your average CEO. Since taking up the reins as the first female CEO of Tigo Ghana in 2014, she has led the Tigo brand through a remarkable transformation.