Nigeria names telecoms leaders
TELECOMSBy BiztechAfrica - Sept. 9, 2012, 9:42 a.m.
The annual Nigerian Telecoms Awards have recognised the country’s top telecoms personalities and companies.
At a ceremony at Victoria Island, Lagos, last night, the awards were handed to top achievers in 31 categories. Telco Airtel scooped awards in three categories.
The winners were:
1. African Telecom Personality of the year: Minister Omobola Johnson
2. African ICT Man of the year: Chief Godswill Akpabio
3. Telecom Legislator of the year: Hon. Oyetunde Ojo
4. ICT State Government of the year: Ekiti State
5. Indigenous Social Media Application of the year: Elcom Serve Limited
6. Best in Mobile Banking: First Bank Plc
7. CEO of the year: Funke Opeke
8. Society Friendly of the year: Globacom Nigeria
9. Youth Empowerment of the year: Globacom Nigeria
10. Best ICT Local Government in Lagos State: Lagos Island East Council Dev
11. Telecom Innovation of the year 2012: Lagos Traffic Radio
12. Best ICT Local Government in Ekiti State: Moba Local Government
13. Telecom Development State Government of the year: Edo State
14. ICT Governor of the year 2012: Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola
15. Telecom Marketing Company of the year: Insight Communications Ltd
16. Online Banking Company of the year: Diamond Bank Plc
17. Telecom Financing Bank of the Year (Capacity): Fidelity Bank Plc
18. Best in Data Backup and Recovery: 21st Century
19. Telecom Company of the year: Alcatel-Lucent
20. Fastest Growing Network of the year: Etisalat Nigeria
21. Brand of the year: Airtel
22. Innovative Company of the year: Airtel
23. Most Customer Friendly Network: Airtel
24. Best in Mobile Money Compliance: UBA Plc
25. Telecom Entrepreneur of the year: Jim Ovia
26. Computer Company of the year: Zinox Computers
27. Mobile Phones Dealer of the year: Slot System Limited
28. Telecom Music Ambassador of the year: Tuface
29. Card Innovation Bank of the year: Skye Bank Plc
30. Best Local Government in Cross River State: Calabar Municipal
31. Best ICT Local Government in Oyo State: Ibadan North
Speaking at the occasion, the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Nigerian Telecommunications Awards, Chief Alex Akinyele said the awards are sustained by credibility, describing the Industry event as the most credible in the Nigerian Telecoms space.
He pledged that the Board of Trustees will continue to live above board to retain the credibility of the Awards among stakeholders.
Also speaking at the event, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Dr. Ernest Ndukwe, in his speech, commended the organizers of the Awards saying, “though a lot of progress has been made since the advent of telecommunications in Nigeria, initiatives such as the telecoms awards spur further development that can ensure that Nigeria keeps pace with developments and innovations across the world.”
Some of the notable dignitaries at the event were the Executive Governor of Osun State, His Excellency, Rauf Aregbesola, His Deputy, Mrs Grace Titi-Laoye Tomori, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Ernest Ndukwe, former Governor of Ogun State, Chief Segun Osoba, former Minister of Communications, Chief Olawale Ige and former Minister of Defence and Communications, Bello Halilu Mohammed.
MORE TELECOMS NEWS
Work set to start on Gabon-Congo fibre linkWork is set to begin on the Gabon-Congo fibre-optic interconnection, with successful tender bids to made known by June this year and the project delivery date scheduled for January 2016. Read More
Orange Kenya dumping copper for fibreOrange Kenya will this week commission a project to replace its copper cables with fibre in Nairobi’s Milimani Area. Read More
Second class to graduate from Samsung Academy KenyaSamsung Electronics East Africa (SEEA) will this week release 98 more graduates from its academy in Kenya. Read More
Telecom Namibia joins global Pearson VUE testing networkTelecom Namibia has signed an agreement with Pearson VUE, the electronic certification and licensure testing business of Pearson, to provide Information Technology certification test delivery using the Pearson VUE® Testing System. Read More
Telecel Go reduces cost of calls to all networksTelecel has launched a new pre-paid service platform called Telecel Go, which removes the boundaries between networks and reduces the cost of calls across all networks significantly. Read More
Huawei rolls out new base stations in ZambiaChinese communications equipment giant Huawei Technologies has launched the first of a series of 169 base stations that will connect rural communities in Zambia to the mobile phone network. Read More
Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda strike deal to lower roaming ratesPlans are underway to lower roaming rates among Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda. Read More
Kenyans making longer calls - CAK ReportRobust marketing by telecoms and lowered call rates saw Kenyans use mobile phones more in 2013, the latest sector report shows. Read More
Telecom Namibia, XON Systems, Juniper Networks invest in network academyTelecom Namibia has set up a Telecom Namibia Juniper Networks Academy in conjunction with XON Systems and Juniper Networks to boost the training of network engineersin its training facility. Read More
FEATURED STORYKenyan shift to Green Economy would generate USD 45bn by 2030
Kenya’s transition to a green economy could produce major economic benefits equivalent to an estimated USD 45 billion by 2030, a new study shows.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHE-waste threatens Ghana’s beaches
Many beaches in Ghana, already stressed by pollution and poor maintenance, are now facing a new threat: e-waste.
COMPANY NEWSMTN makes it onto World Champions list
MTN Group has been named as the only South African company on the World Champions list.VMware Reports First Quarter 2014 Results
VMWare has announced Year-over-Year revenue growth of 14% to $1.36 Billion in its Q114 results.