Nigeria names telecoms leaders
TELECOMS| Sept. 9, 2012, 9:42 a.m.
The annual Nigerian Telecoms Awards have recognised the country’s top telecoms personalities and companies.
At a ceremony at Victoria Island, Lagos, last night, the awards were handed to top achievers in 31 categories. Telco Airtel scooped awards in three categories.
The winners were:
1. African Telecom Personality of the year: Minister Omobola Johnson
2. African ICT Man of the year: Chief Godswill Akpabio
3. Telecom Legislator of the year: Hon. Oyetunde Ojo
4. ICT State Government of the year: Ekiti State
5. Indigenous Social Media Application of the year: Elcom Serve Limited
6. Best in Mobile Banking: First Bank Plc
7. CEO of the year: Funke Opeke
8. Society Friendly of the year: Globacom Nigeria
9. Youth Empowerment of the year: Globacom Nigeria
10. Best ICT Local Government in Lagos State: Lagos Island East Council Dev
11. Telecom Innovation of the year 2012: Lagos Traffic Radio
12. Best ICT Local Government in Ekiti State: Moba Local Government
13. Telecom Development State Government of the year: Edo State
14. ICT Governor of the year 2012: Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola
15. Telecom Marketing Company of the year: Insight Communications Ltd
16. Online Banking Company of the year: Diamond Bank Plc
17. Telecom Financing Bank of the Year (Capacity): Fidelity Bank Plc
18. Best in Data Backup and Recovery: 21st Century
19. Telecom Company of the year: Alcatel-Lucent
20. Fastest Growing Network of the year: Etisalat Nigeria
21. Brand of the year: Airtel
22. Innovative Company of the year: Airtel
23. Most Customer Friendly Network: Airtel
24. Best in Mobile Money Compliance: UBA Plc
25. Telecom Entrepreneur of the year: Jim Ovia
26. Computer Company of the year: Zinox Computers
27. Mobile Phones Dealer of the year: Slot System Limited
28. Telecom Music Ambassador of the year: Tuface
29. Card Innovation Bank of the year: Skye Bank Plc
30. Best Local Government in Cross River State: Calabar Municipal
31. Best ICT Local Government in Oyo State: Ibadan North
Speaking at the occasion, the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Nigerian Telecommunications Awards, Chief Alex Akinyele said the awards are sustained by credibility, describing the Industry event as the most credible in the Nigerian Telecoms space.
He pledged that the Board of Trustees will continue to live above board to retain the credibility of the Awards among stakeholders.
Also speaking at the event, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Dr. Ernest Ndukwe, in his speech, commended the organizers of the Awards saying, “though a lot of progress has been made since the advent of telecommunications in Nigeria, initiatives such as the telecoms awards spur further development that can ensure that Nigeria keeps pace with developments and innovations across the world.”
Some of the notable dignitaries at the event were the Executive Governor of Osun State, His Excellency, Rauf Aregbesola, His Deputy, Mrs Grace Titi-Laoye Tomori, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Ernest Ndukwe, former Governor of Ogun State, Chief Segun Osoba, former Minister of Communications, Chief Olawale Ige and former Minister of Defence and Communications, Bello Halilu Mohammed.
MORE TELECOMS NEWS
Airtel Kenya formally introduces the new Chairman of the BoardAirtel has formally introduced the new Chairman of the Board to management and staff of Airtel Kenya. Read More
Vodacom Business Nigeria expands to Ibadan, KanoVodacom Business Nigeria has announced the opening of new offices in Ibadan and Kano as part of the company's expansion plans. Read More
Glo gets govt recognition for investment, job creationNigeria’s national operator, Globacom has been listed as one of the top One Hundred Firms in Nigeria for the 2014 fiscal year. Read More
Airtel Rwanda partners with TechWomen on mentorshipAirtel Rwanda has kicked off a two-week mentorship programme in partnership with TechWomen Rwanda, an organisation that aims to encourage more women in Rwanda to take on careers in the fields of Science, Technology Engineering and Mathematics. Read More
Orange Business Services appoints new Vice President, AfricaOrange Business Services, the Orange branch dedicated to B2B services, has announced the appointment of Giorgio Heiman as Vice President of Africa, effective this month. Read More
Kenya govt gives go-ahead for security networkThe Government of Kenya has signed a landmark agreement with Safaricom for the roll out of a first-of-its-kind National Surveillance, Communication and Control System. Read More
Econet-Ericsson in new network dealEricsson has announced that it has been selected as the sole supplier by Zimbabwe's largest provider of telecommunications services, Econet Wireless Zimbabwe, for the company’s Core network upgrade programme. Read More
TNM courts trouble with investment prospects in ISPTNM, one of Malawi's two mobile telecommunication services providers, has courted trouble with its announcement of plans to invest in the provision of ‘generic’ Internet Service Provider (ISP) operations. Read More
Tigo deploys overhead fibre in GhanaTigo Ghana has embarked on an overhead fibre project in some parts of the country in a bid to reduce damage to its cables. Read More
Bharti Airtel appoints Dr. Titus Naikuni as Chairman, Airtel KenyaBharti Airtel has announced the appointment of Dr. Titus Naikuni as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of Airtel Kenya. Read More
FEATURED STORYGSMA: half a billion mobile subscribers in SSA by 2020
The number of unique mobile subscribers in Sub-Saharan Africa will pass the half billion mark in 2020, says a new GSMA report.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHAfrica lags on digital migration
Only three African countries have so far completed the digital migration process, and serious issues are hampering the migration in other nations.
COMPANY NEWSLeading through volatility in Africa
For the businesses that are prepared to face the storm and manage the volatility afflicting the continent, there are still huge rewards to be had from doing business ...