Nigeria names telecoms leaders
TELECOMS| Sept. 9, 2012, 9:42 a.m.
The annual Nigerian Telecoms Awards have recognised the country’s top telecoms personalities and companies.
At a ceremony at Victoria Island, Lagos, last night, the awards were handed to top achievers in 31 categories. Telco Airtel scooped awards in three categories.
The winners were:
1. African Telecom Personality of the year: Minister Omobola Johnson
2. African ICT Man of the year: Chief Godswill Akpabio
3. Telecom Legislator of the year: Hon. Oyetunde Ojo
4. ICT State Government of the year: Ekiti State
5. Indigenous Social Media Application of the year: Elcom Serve Limited
6. Best in Mobile Banking: First Bank Plc
7. CEO of the year: Funke Opeke
8. Society Friendly of the year: Globacom Nigeria
9. Youth Empowerment of the year: Globacom Nigeria
10. Best ICT Local Government in Lagos State: Lagos Island East Council Dev
11. Telecom Innovation of the year 2012: Lagos Traffic Radio
12. Best ICT Local Government in Ekiti State: Moba Local Government
13. Telecom Development State Government of the year: Edo State
14. ICT Governor of the year 2012: Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola
15. Telecom Marketing Company of the year: Insight Communications Ltd
16. Online Banking Company of the year: Diamond Bank Plc
17. Telecom Financing Bank of the Year (Capacity): Fidelity Bank Plc
18. Best in Data Backup and Recovery: 21st Century
19. Telecom Company of the year: Alcatel-Lucent
20. Fastest Growing Network of the year: Etisalat Nigeria
21. Brand of the year: Airtel
22. Innovative Company of the year: Airtel
23. Most Customer Friendly Network: Airtel
24. Best in Mobile Money Compliance: UBA Plc
25. Telecom Entrepreneur of the year: Jim Ovia
26. Computer Company of the year: Zinox Computers
27. Mobile Phones Dealer of the year: Slot System Limited
28. Telecom Music Ambassador of the year: Tuface
29. Card Innovation Bank of the year: Skye Bank Plc
30. Best Local Government in Cross River State: Calabar Municipal
31. Best ICT Local Government in Oyo State: Ibadan North
Speaking at the occasion, the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Nigerian Telecommunications Awards, Chief Alex Akinyele said the awards are sustained by credibility, describing the Industry event as the most credible in the Nigerian Telecoms space.
He pledged that the Board of Trustees will continue to live above board to retain the credibility of the Awards among stakeholders.
Also speaking at the event, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Dr. Ernest Ndukwe, in his speech, commended the organizers of the Awards saying, “though a lot of progress has been made since the advent of telecommunications in Nigeria, initiatives such as the telecoms awards spur further development that can ensure that Nigeria keeps pace with developments and innovations across the world.”
Some of the notable dignitaries at the event were the Executive Governor of Osun State, His Excellency, Rauf Aregbesola, His Deputy, Mrs Grace Titi-Laoye Tomori, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Ernest Ndukwe, former Governor of Ogun State, Chief Segun Osoba, former Minister of Communications, Chief Olawale Ige and former Minister of Defence and Communications, Bello Halilu Mohammed.
MORE TELECOMS NEWS
MTN appoints new group executive for enterprise business unitMTN Group has appointed Mteto Nyati as Group Chief Enterprise Officer, effective 1 October. Read More
Nigeria’s GSM subscribers now at 130mNigeria’s GSM subscriber figures have hit the 130 million mark, the Executive Vice Chairman/CEO, Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Dr Eugene Juwah has said. Read More
Kenya launches phase 2 of national fibre projectDr Fred Matiangi, cabinet secretary at Kenya’s Ministry of ICT, has launched phase two of the National Optic Fibre Backbone Infrastructure (NOFBI) project, which looks to ease communication across counties and improve government service delivery. Read More
MACRA welcomes new DGThe Malawi Communications Regulatory Authority (MACRA) has a new Director General, Mr. Andrew Kumbatira. Read More
Safaricom welcomes security scrutiny of SIM overlay technologySafaricom has welcomed the Communications Authority (CA) of Kenya’s decision to give tentative approval to the roll out of the SIM overlay technology. Read More
NCA urged to fight the rise of SIM Boxing in GhanaGhana’s National Communication Authority is being urged to consider reducing or taking away indefinitely the 19 cent being charged on international calls into the country. Read More
Vodacom: no plans to sell SA telecoms towersVodacom currently has no intention of selling its tower infrastructure in South Africa in spite of the continent-wide trend towards leasing rather than owning towers, saying the market drivers in the country are different to elsewhere in Africa. Read More
Vodacom Congo outgoing, new boss meet DRC Prime MinisterOutgoing Vodacom Congo Managing Director, South African-born Godfrey Motsa, last week went to the Office of DRC Prime Minister Matata Ponyo to say good bye and thanks as his term at the helm of the mobile operator ended this month. Read More
Tigo Ghana upgrades Customer Support CentresAs part of efforts to offer its customers highly interactive and a more satisfying experience, telecom service provider, Tigo, says it is upgrading its customer support centres to ‘Customer Experience Centres’. Read More
FEATURED STORYMFarmer SMS redefines market access for Ugandan farmers
Ugandan smallholder farmers are benefitting from an ambitious innovative ICT mobile phone initiative that offers weather reports and up-to-date market information about changes in prices for agricultural commodities, thus granting them lucrative returns from their farming ventures.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHiProcure delivers inputs to farmers’ doorsteps using ICTs
An innovation dubbed iProcure is already being used by several agro input firms which are now relying on it to distribute their products to farmers.
COMPANY NEWSVMware announces VMware Workstation 11 and VMware Player 7 Pro
VMware Workstation 11 marks 15 years of innovation with Windows 10 Tech Preview readiness, state of the art performance and cloud connectivity.Schneider Electric signs exclusive off-grid solar distribution agreement with Zimbabwean firm
Schneider Electric has announced the signing of an exclusive agreement with Samansco, a Zimbabwean renewable energy, back-up power and appropriate technology company.SAP Innovation Helps The Global Fund Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria in Africa
Extending a longstanding partnership, SAP is a founding member of The Global Fund’s new Innovation Coalition to support disease prevention and treatment.