Nigeria names telecoms leaders
TELECOMS| Sept. 9, 2012, 9:42 a.m.
The annual Nigerian Telecoms Awards have recognised the country’s top telecoms personalities and companies.
At a ceremony at Victoria Island, Lagos, last night, the awards were handed to top achievers in 31 categories. Telco Airtel scooped awards in three categories.
The winners were:
1. African Telecom Personality of the year: Minister Omobola Johnson
2. African ICT Man of the year: Chief Godswill Akpabio
3. Telecom Legislator of the year: Hon. Oyetunde Ojo
4. ICT State Government of the year: Ekiti State
5. Indigenous Social Media Application of the year: Elcom Serve Limited
6. Best in Mobile Banking: First Bank Plc
7. CEO of the year: Funke Opeke
8. Society Friendly of the year: Globacom Nigeria
9. Youth Empowerment of the year: Globacom Nigeria
10. Best ICT Local Government in Lagos State: Lagos Island East Council Dev
11. Telecom Innovation of the year 2012: Lagos Traffic Radio
12. Best ICT Local Government in Ekiti State: Moba Local Government
13. Telecom Development State Government of the year: Edo State
14. ICT Governor of the year 2012: Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola
15. Telecom Marketing Company of the year: Insight Communications Ltd
16. Online Banking Company of the year: Diamond Bank Plc
17. Telecom Financing Bank of the Year (Capacity): Fidelity Bank Plc
18. Best in Data Backup and Recovery: 21st Century
19. Telecom Company of the year: Alcatel-Lucent
20. Fastest Growing Network of the year: Etisalat Nigeria
21. Brand of the year: Airtel
22. Innovative Company of the year: Airtel
23. Most Customer Friendly Network: Airtel
24. Best in Mobile Money Compliance: UBA Plc
25. Telecom Entrepreneur of the year: Jim Ovia
26. Computer Company of the year: Zinox Computers
27. Mobile Phones Dealer of the year: Slot System Limited
28. Telecom Music Ambassador of the year: Tuface
29. Card Innovation Bank of the year: Skye Bank Plc
30. Best Local Government in Cross River State: Calabar Municipal
31. Best ICT Local Government in Oyo State: Ibadan North
Speaking at the occasion, the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Nigerian Telecommunications Awards, Chief Alex Akinyele said the awards are sustained by credibility, describing the Industry event as the most credible in the Nigerian Telecoms space.
He pledged that the Board of Trustees will continue to live above board to retain the credibility of the Awards among stakeholders.
Also speaking at the event, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Dr. Ernest Ndukwe, in his speech, commended the organizers of the Awards saying, “though a lot of progress has been made since the advent of telecommunications in Nigeria, initiatives such as the telecoms awards spur further development that can ensure that Nigeria keeps pace with developments and innovations across the world.”
Some of the notable dignitaries at the event were the Executive Governor of Osun State, His Excellency, Rauf Aregbesola, His Deputy, Mrs Grace Titi-Laoye Tomori, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Ernest Ndukwe, former Governor of Ogun State, Chief Segun Osoba, former Minister of Communications, Chief Olawale Ige and former Minister of Defence and Communications, Bello Halilu Mohammed.
MORE TELECOMS NEWS
Airtel Ghana launches groundbreaking home solutionAirtel Ghana has launched a groundbreaking home solution dubbed Airtel Quonect to provide unparalleled Communication, Connectivity and Collaborative solutions for the modern home. Read More
Ghana Chamber of Telecoms appoints Vodafone CEO as new board chairmanThe Ghana Chamber of Telecommunications has appointed the CEO of Vodafone, Ms. Yolanda Cuba, as Chairperson for the ensuing year, with MTN CEO Ebenezer Asante as Vice Chair. Read More
Telecoms Hall of Fame inducts Glo chairman, AdenugaGlobacom has been named best mobile operator for the year 2016, while its chairman, Dr. Mike Adenuga Jr., has been inducted into the Telecoms Hall of Fame for Telecoms Development as a Platinum member. Read More
Etisalat kicks off Nigerian photo competitionEtisalat Nigeria, in line with its commitment to promote innovation and creativity, has announced the opening of the 2016 Etisalat Photography Competition. Read More
Tigo Ghana rewards customer loyalty with new promoTigo Ghana has launched another promo geared towards rewarding and appreciating its customers. Read More
NCA to prosecute mast owners who host illegal transmission equipmentGhana’s telecoms regulator the National Communication Authority (NCA) has sounded a word of caution to operators of communication masts in the country to desist from hosting illegal transmission equipment off their masts or face prosecution. Read More
Safaricom drops roaming charges by up to 99%Following successful negotiations with its global network of partners, Safaricom has reduced roaming charges for calls and data by up to 99 per cent for over 200 networks across the world. Read More
Nigeria’s fifth telco, ntel, appoints Danjuma board chairmanNatCom Development & Investment Limited (NatCom) trading as ntel, has announced a key addition to its board and the emergence of elder statesman, accomplished businessman and respected philanthropist, Gen TY Danjuma (retd) as Chairman. Read More
MTN Nigeria prepares for listingMTN Nigeria is preparing to list its shares on The Nigerian Stock Exchange as part of a settlement arrangement with the Federal Government of Nigeria. Read More
FEATURED STORYFinancial services sees AI as both opportunity and threat
Banking is already a key area where technology is having an impact throughout Africa, and a new survey assesses the impact artificial intelligence will have on this sector.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHAccess and Use of ICT stats released
Statistics Botswana has released the first results of the 2014 Information and Communication Technology Household Survey.