Nigeria names telecoms leaders
TELECOMS| Sept. 9, 2012, 9:42 a.m.
The annual Nigerian Telecoms Awards have recognised the country’s top telecoms personalities and companies.
At a ceremony at Victoria Island, Lagos, last night, the awards were handed to top achievers in 31 categories. Telco Airtel scooped awards in three categories.
The winners were:
1. African Telecom Personality of the year: Minister Omobola Johnson
2. African ICT Man of the year: Chief Godswill Akpabio
3. Telecom Legislator of the year: Hon. Oyetunde Ojo
4. ICT State Government of the year: Ekiti State
5. Indigenous Social Media Application of the year: Elcom Serve Limited
6. Best in Mobile Banking: First Bank Plc
7. CEO of the year: Funke Opeke
8. Society Friendly of the year: Globacom Nigeria
9. Youth Empowerment of the year: Globacom Nigeria
10. Best ICT Local Government in Lagos State: Lagos Island East Council Dev
11. Telecom Innovation of the year 2012: Lagos Traffic Radio
12. Best ICT Local Government in Ekiti State: Moba Local Government
13. Telecom Development State Government of the year: Edo State
14. ICT Governor of the year 2012: Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola
15. Telecom Marketing Company of the year: Insight Communications Ltd
16. Online Banking Company of the year: Diamond Bank Plc
17. Telecom Financing Bank of the Year (Capacity): Fidelity Bank Plc
18. Best in Data Backup and Recovery: 21st Century
19. Telecom Company of the year: Alcatel-Lucent
20. Fastest Growing Network of the year: Etisalat Nigeria
21. Brand of the year: Airtel
22. Innovative Company of the year: Airtel
23. Most Customer Friendly Network: Airtel
24. Best in Mobile Money Compliance: UBA Plc
25. Telecom Entrepreneur of the year: Jim Ovia
26. Computer Company of the year: Zinox Computers
27. Mobile Phones Dealer of the year: Slot System Limited
28. Telecom Music Ambassador of the year: Tuface
29. Card Innovation Bank of the year: Skye Bank Plc
30. Best Local Government in Cross River State: Calabar Municipal
31. Best ICT Local Government in Oyo State: Ibadan North
Speaking at the occasion, the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Nigerian Telecommunications Awards, Chief Alex Akinyele said the awards are sustained by credibility, describing the Industry event as the most credible in the Nigerian Telecoms space.
He pledged that the Board of Trustees will continue to live above board to retain the credibility of the Awards among stakeholders.
Also speaking at the event, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Dr. Ernest Ndukwe, in his speech, commended the organizers of the Awards saying, “though a lot of progress has been made since the advent of telecommunications in Nigeria, initiatives such as the telecoms awards spur further development that can ensure that Nigeria keeps pace with developments and innovations across the world.”
Some of the notable dignitaries at the event were the Executive Governor of Osun State, His Excellency, Rauf Aregbesola, His Deputy, Mrs Grace Titi-Laoye Tomori, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Ernest Ndukwe, former Governor of Ogun State, Chief Segun Osoba, former Minister of Communications, Chief Olawale Ige and former Minister of Defence and Communications, Bello Halilu Mohammed.
MORE TELECOMS NEWS
Tigo Business – Building trusted business partner relationships with clientsTigo Business has increased and empowered its account management team to improve its overall customer service experience. Read More
Danbatta seeks Reps’ cooperation on telecom regulationsThe Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Prof. Umar Garba Danbatta, has called for more cooperation and understanding of members of the House of Representatives, on regulatory functions of the commission. Read More
Orange completes acquisition of Airtel in Burkina FasoOrange has announced that, together with its subsidiary Orange Côte d’Ivoire, it has completed the acquisition of 100% of the mobile operator Airtel in Burkina Faso. Read More
MTN Ghana goes live with 4G LTE in grand styleThe plush iconic MTN House, home to MTN Ghana’s operations came to a standstill on Tuesday, as the country’s telecom leader officially unveiled its latest 4G LTE services across the length and breadth of Ghana. Read More
NCC to end telcos’ voluntary adherence to corporate governanceAfter more than one year of voluntary adherence by telcos to the Corporate Governance Code for the industry, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday started a journey that will lead to mandatory enforcement. Read More
Telkom Kenya appoints new CEOTelkom Kenya has announced the appointment of Aldo Mareuse as the Chief Executive Officer and member of the Board of Directors. Read More
N1.04tr NCC fine: MTN agrees on N330b staggered paymentMTN Nigeria and the Nigeria Communications Commission have reached an amicable settlement in the matter of the N1.04trillion fine imposed by the regulator in October last year. Read More
MTN Nigerian fine payment terms resolvedMTN has announced that the matter of its fine has been resolved with the Federal Government of Nigeria. Read More
NCC to review 2.6GHz spectrum auctionThe Executive Vice Chairman of the NCC, Prof Umar Garba Danbatta, says the Commission will soon meet with operators over the recent auction of 2.6GHz spectrum. Read More
Vodafone Ghana committed to use technology to address critical health issuesThe new Chief Executive Officer of Vodafone Ghana, Yolanda Cuba, has reiterated Vodafone Ghana’s commitment to using technology to address critical health issues such as maternal and infant mortality in the country. Read More
FEATURED STORYGovernment should encourage youths in ICT early
Youths should be given more encouragement to develop their ICT skills, an 11-year-old app developer told Kokumo Goodie.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHIBM Opens First Cloud Data Centre in South Africa
IBM is opening a new IBM Cloud Data Centre in Johannesburg, South Africa. The new cloud center is the result of a close collaboration with Gijima and Vodacom and is designed to support cloud adoption and customer demand across the continent.
COMPANY NEWSTigo Business – Building trusted business partner relationships with clients
Tigo Business has increased and empowered its account management team to improve its overall customer service experience.