Nigeria names telecoms leaders
TELECOMS| Sept. 9, 2012, 9:42 a.m.
The annual Nigerian Telecoms Awards have recognised the country’s top telecoms personalities and companies.
At a ceremony at Victoria Island, Lagos, last night, the awards were handed to top achievers in 31 categories. Telco Airtel scooped awards in three categories.
The winners were:
1. African Telecom Personality of the year: Minister Omobola Johnson
2. African ICT Man of the year: Chief Godswill Akpabio
3. Telecom Legislator of the year: Hon. Oyetunde Ojo
4. ICT State Government of the year: Ekiti State
5. Indigenous Social Media Application of the year: Elcom Serve Limited
6. Best in Mobile Banking: First Bank Plc
7. CEO of the year: Funke Opeke
8. Society Friendly of the year: Globacom Nigeria
9. Youth Empowerment of the year: Globacom Nigeria
10. Best ICT Local Government in Lagos State: Lagos Island East Council Dev
11. Telecom Innovation of the year 2012: Lagos Traffic Radio
12. Best ICT Local Government in Ekiti State: Moba Local Government
13. Telecom Development State Government of the year: Edo State
14. ICT Governor of the year 2012: Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola
15. Telecom Marketing Company of the year: Insight Communications Ltd
16. Online Banking Company of the year: Diamond Bank Plc
17. Telecom Financing Bank of the Year (Capacity): Fidelity Bank Plc
18. Best in Data Backup and Recovery: 21st Century
19. Telecom Company of the year: Alcatel-Lucent
20. Fastest Growing Network of the year: Etisalat Nigeria
21. Brand of the year: Airtel
22. Innovative Company of the year: Airtel
23. Most Customer Friendly Network: Airtel
24. Best in Mobile Money Compliance: UBA Plc
25. Telecom Entrepreneur of the year: Jim Ovia
26. Computer Company of the year: Zinox Computers
27. Mobile Phones Dealer of the year: Slot System Limited
28. Telecom Music Ambassador of the year: Tuface
29. Card Innovation Bank of the year: Skye Bank Plc
30. Best Local Government in Cross River State: Calabar Municipal
31. Best ICT Local Government in Oyo State: Ibadan North
Speaking at the occasion, the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Nigerian Telecommunications Awards, Chief Alex Akinyele said the awards are sustained by credibility, describing the Industry event as the most credible in the Nigerian Telecoms space.
He pledged that the Board of Trustees will continue to live above board to retain the credibility of the Awards among stakeholders.
Also speaking at the event, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Dr. Ernest Ndukwe, in his speech, commended the organizers of the Awards saying, “though a lot of progress has been made since the advent of telecommunications in Nigeria, initiatives such as the telecoms awards spur further development that can ensure that Nigeria keeps pace with developments and innovations across the world.”
Some of the notable dignitaries at the event were the Executive Governor of Osun State, His Excellency, Rauf Aregbesola, His Deputy, Mrs Grace Titi-Laoye Tomori, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Ernest Ndukwe, former Governor of Ogun State, Chief Segun Osoba, former Minister of Communications, Chief Olawale Ige and former Minister of Defence and Communications, Bello Halilu Mohammed.
MORE TELECOMS NEWS
Juwah’s tenure at NCC endsDr. Eugene Juwah’s tenure as the Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigeria Communication Commission has come to an end. Read More
Etisalat sues MTN over anti-competitive practicesEtisalat has instituted legal action against Nigeria’s dominant operator, MTN, over practices it says threaten its business. Read More
Orange increases interest in the Moroccan operator Méditel with the acquisition of an additional 9%Fipar-Holding (the Moroccan Caisse de Dépôt et de Gestion group), FinanceCom and Orange signed the final documentation increasing Orange's interest in Méditel, the Moroccan telecommunications operator, in application of the agreements they signed in December 2010. Read More
Safaricom gives network assurance ahead of Obama visitSafaricom has assured its subscribers that minimal network disruptions shall be experienced during visit of US president Barack Obama. Read More
Airtel unveils next gen enterprise solution in GhanaAirtel Ghana says it is setting the new standard for Enterprise business solutions with the launch of its business oriented sub brand, Airtel Business. Read More
Tigo Africa Customer Operations Director visits GhanaThe Customer Operations Director for Tigo Africa, Ingeborg Nieuwenhuis, has just concluded a week-long visit to Ghana. Read More
Tigo reinforces security at cell sites due to battery theftTigo says it is determined to invest to ensure a reliable and stable network for its customers despite rampant cable cuts and increasing battery theft. Read More
MTN Ghana introduces Relationship ManagersSubscribers of MTN Ghana can now get any challenges resolved quickly and amicably, thanks to the introduction of Relationship Managers at MTN Ghana’s 82 customer service points across the country. Read More
Airtel showcases SmartROAMAirtel Nigeria has launched a new roaming service that will enable Airtel customers to receive unlimited free incoming calls when roaming in five major countries across five continents. Read More
FEATURED STORYBatswana dragging feet in digital migration
More than a month after the deadline for the digital migration from analogue television, few people have shown any pronounced enthusiasm in entering the new digital TV realm.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHAs curtain falls on MDGs, what next?
Dr. Bjorn Lomborg, president of the Copenhagen Consensus Centre, speaks to Biztechafrica about setting smart targets.
COMPANY NEWSMTN Business App of the Year submissions closed
Entries for the annual MTN Business App of the Year Awards taking place on 13 August in Johannesburg have closed, and an expert panel of judges that is adjudicating ...