Nigeria names telecoms leaders
TELECOMS| Sept. 9, 2012, 9:42 a.m.
The annual Nigerian Telecoms Awards have recognised the country’s top telecoms personalities and companies.
At a ceremony at Victoria Island, Lagos, last night, the awards were handed to top achievers in 31 categories. Telco Airtel scooped awards in three categories.
The winners were:
1. African Telecom Personality of the year: Minister Omobola Johnson
2. African ICT Man of the year: Chief Godswill Akpabio
3. Telecom Legislator of the year: Hon. Oyetunde Ojo
4. ICT State Government of the year: Ekiti State
5. Indigenous Social Media Application of the year: Elcom Serve Limited
6. Best in Mobile Banking: First Bank Plc
7. CEO of the year: Funke Opeke
8. Society Friendly of the year: Globacom Nigeria
9. Youth Empowerment of the year: Globacom Nigeria
10. Best ICT Local Government in Lagos State: Lagos Island East Council Dev
11. Telecom Innovation of the year 2012: Lagos Traffic Radio
12. Best ICT Local Government in Ekiti State: Moba Local Government
13. Telecom Development State Government of the year: Edo State
14. ICT Governor of the year 2012: Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola
15. Telecom Marketing Company of the year: Insight Communications Ltd
16. Online Banking Company of the year: Diamond Bank Plc
17. Telecom Financing Bank of the Year (Capacity): Fidelity Bank Plc
18. Best in Data Backup and Recovery: 21st Century
19. Telecom Company of the year: Alcatel-Lucent
20. Fastest Growing Network of the year: Etisalat Nigeria
21. Brand of the year: Airtel
22. Innovative Company of the year: Airtel
23. Most Customer Friendly Network: Airtel
24. Best in Mobile Money Compliance: UBA Plc
25. Telecom Entrepreneur of the year: Jim Ovia
26. Computer Company of the year: Zinox Computers
27. Mobile Phones Dealer of the year: Slot System Limited
28. Telecom Music Ambassador of the year: Tuface
29. Card Innovation Bank of the year: Skye Bank Plc
30. Best Local Government in Cross River State: Calabar Municipal
31. Best ICT Local Government in Oyo State: Ibadan North
Speaking at the occasion, the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Nigerian Telecommunications Awards, Chief Alex Akinyele said the awards are sustained by credibility, describing the Industry event as the most credible in the Nigerian Telecoms space.
He pledged that the Board of Trustees will continue to live above board to retain the credibility of the Awards among stakeholders.
Also speaking at the event, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Dr. Ernest Ndukwe, in his speech, commended the organizers of the Awards saying, “though a lot of progress has been made since the advent of telecommunications in Nigeria, initiatives such as the telecoms awards spur further development that can ensure that Nigeria keeps pace with developments and innovations across the world.”
Some of the notable dignitaries at the event were the Executive Governor of Osun State, His Excellency, Rauf Aregbesola, His Deputy, Mrs Grace Titi-Laoye Tomori, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Ernest Ndukwe, former Governor of Ogun State, Chief Segun Osoba, former Minister of Communications, Chief Olawale Ige and former Minister of Defence and Communications, Bello Halilu Mohammed.
MORE TELECOMS NEWS
MTN to empower African businesses with AWS Direct ConnectMTN Group today announced it would be the first African company to offer Amazon Web Services (AWS) Direct Connect to business customers across multiple countries on the continent. Read More
MTN leads in Cameroon with 11.2 million usersThe third-quarterly verdict delivered last week by ART, the Cameroon telecom regulator, shows that MTN had 11.2 million users in Cameroon by 30 September 2014, and is therefore the leader of the mobile market in this Central African nation of 20 million people. Read More
MTN is Ivory Coast mobile market leaderWith eight million subscribers out of a population of 22 million, South Africa’s mobile operator MTN has claimed the title of mobile market leader in Ivory Coast. Read More
TNM constructs bridge as part of promotionTelekom Networks Malawi Limited (TNM) has constructed a bridge in the country’s former Capital City of Zomba as part of a promotional activity the company launched last year. Read More
Telecoms operators donate K20.5 m towards flood victimsMalawi's Association of Telecommunications Operators (ATOL) has donated K20.5m towards the relief assistance going to communities affected by floods and hailstorm in the country Read More
Airtel Kenya drops roaming rates in UgandaAirtel customers can now browse for as low as Ksh 10 per MB while roaming in Uganda, a 78% drop in price. Read More
MTL appoints new CEOMalawi Telecommunications Limited (MTL) has appointed Harry Gombachika as its new Chief Executive Officer with effect from January 6, 2015. Read More
MTN transforms enterprise business unit in South Africa to enhance overall client experienceMTN South Africa has announced the start of a process to reorganise its MTN Business unit, to strengthen its competitive advantage in the enterprise business solutions market. Read More
Vodafone Foundation Ghana donates new incubator to hospitalVodafone Foundation Ghana on Tuesday donated a brand new incubator to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit of the Nsawam Government Hospital at Nsawam in the Eastern Region of Ghana. Read More
M-Shwari loans help customers acquire smart devicesFollowing a month of trials, the Commercial Bank of Africa (CBA) and Safaricom have formally introduced a new proposition that will enable M-Shwari customers to access affordable loans to acquire smartphones and tablets. Read More
FEATURED STORYUCC launches 2015 ACIA awards
Uganda has launched the fifth Annual Communications and Innovation Awards, which celebrate and foster ICT innovation and achievement.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHKenya’s digital TV battle hots up
Kenya’s journey to Digital TV broadcasting took a new turn this week, when the Communication Authority of Kenya (CAK) accused three local media firms of intent to disrupt the process.
COMPANY NEWSMTN to empower African businesses with AWS Direct Connect
MTN Group today announced it would be the first African company to offer Amazon Web Services (AWS) Direct Connect to business customers across multiple countries on the ...“All Systems GO!” for the DStv Eutelsat Star Awards in Zambia
It’s “All Systems GO!” for the winners of the fourth edition of the DStv Eutelsat Star Awards to be announced at the awards ceremony in Lusaka, Zambia ...Spectra Wireless, Microsoft 4Afrika launch first commercial TV white spaces services in Africa
University students will now get fast, affordable Internet bundles and receive zero-interest financing when purchasing a new device.