Nigeria names telecoms leaders
TELECOMS| Sept. 9, 2012, 9:42 a.m.
The annual Nigerian Telecoms Awards have recognised the country’s top telecoms personalities and companies.
At a ceremony at Victoria Island, Lagos, last night, the awards were handed to top achievers in 31 categories. Telco Airtel scooped awards in three categories.
The winners were:
1. African Telecom Personality of the year: Minister Omobola Johnson
2. African ICT Man of the year: Chief Godswill Akpabio
3. Telecom Legislator of the year: Hon. Oyetunde Ojo
4. ICT State Government of the year: Ekiti State
5. Indigenous Social Media Application of the year: Elcom Serve Limited
6. Best in Mobile Banking: First Bank Plc
7. CEO of the year: Funke Opeke
8. Society Friendly of the year: Globacom Nigeria
9. Youth Empowerment of the year: Globacom Nigeria
10. Best ICT Local Government in Lagos State: Lagos Island East Council Dev
11. Telecom Innovation of the year 2012: Lagos Traffic Radio
12. Best ICT Local Government in Ekiti State: Moba Local Government
13. Telecom Development State Government of the year: Edo State
14. ICT Governor of the year 2012: Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola
15. Telecom Marketing Company of the year: Insight Communications Ltd
16. Online Banking Company of the year: Diamond Bank Plc
17. Telecom Financing Bank of the Year (Capacity): Fidelity Bank Plc
18. Best in Data Backup and Recovery: 21st Century
19. Telecom Company of the year: Alcatel-Lucent
20. Fastest Growing Network of the year: Etisalat Nigeria
21. Brand of the year: Airtel
22. Innovative Company of the year: Airtel
23. Most Customer Friendly Network: Airtel
24. Best in Mobile Money Compliance: UBA Plc
25. Telecom Entrepreneur of the year: Jim Ovia
26. Computer Company of the year: Zinox Computers
27. Mobile Phones Dealer of the year: Slot System Limited
28. Telecom Music Ambassador of the year: Tuface
29. Card Innovation Bank of the year: Skye Bank Plc
30. Best Local Government in Cross River State: Calabar Municipal
31. Best ICT Local Government in Oyo State: Ibadan North
Speaking at the occasion, the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Nigerian Telecommunications Awards, Chief Alex Akinyele said the awards are sustained by credibility, describing the Industry event as the most credible in the Nigerian Telecoms space.
He pledged that the Board of Trustees will continue to live above board to retain the credibility of the Awards among stakeholders.
Also speaking at the event, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Dr. Ernest Ndukwe, in his speech, commended the organizers of the Awards saying, “though a lot of progress has been made since the advent of telecommunications in Nigeria, initiatives such as the telecoms awards spur further development that can ensure that Nigeria keeps pace with developments and innovations across the world.”
Some of the notable dignitaries at the event were the Executive Governor of Osun State, His Excellency, Rauf Aregbesola, His Deputy, Mrs Grace Titi-Laoye Tomori, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Ernest Ndukwe, former Governor of Ogun State, Chief Segun Osoba, former Minister of Communications, Chief Olawale Ige and former Minister of Defence and Communications, Bello Halilu Mohammed.
MORE TELECOMS NEWS
Airtel emerges top Social Media brand in KenyaAirtel has been recognized as the top Social Media Brand in Kenya by the Africa Brand Index, a listing of the most successful brands in Africa on social media, according to key metrics such as community growth, content engagement, sentiment and dozens of others. Read More
How NCC will tackle service quality: Prof DanbattaThe Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Prof Umar Danbatta, says the Commission will take steps to address issues of such as multiple taxation, vandalism and others to ensure that the quality of service (QoS) headache becomes a thing of the past in the country. Read More
MTN, Liquid Telecom partner in AfricaMTN Group and Liquid Telecom have partnered to jointly offer customers access to the largest fixed and wireless footprint across the continent. Read More
Danbatta constitutes service quality Task ForceWorried by the general outcry about declining Quality of Service (QoS), in the telecommunications sector, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) at the weekend set up a 9-member Task Force to proffer solutions to this problem. Read More
MTN’s position on Competition Commission rulingMTN has responded to the recommendation by the South African Competition Commission that the proposed MTN and Telkom transaction be prohibited. Read More
MTN Business presents the first Supplier Development Programme workshop to Gauteng entrepreneursMTN Business conducted the first Supplier Development Programme (SDP) and Accelerator Programme (AP) workshop at its headquarters in Johannesburg. Read More
Telecom Namibia slams network vandalsTelecom Namibia has expressed concern over an upsurge of network vandalism impacting its fibre optic network. Read More
Mascom myzaka promo ends on high noteThe Mascom Recharge 4 Zaka promotion has just ended with 36 lucky winners walking away with cash, airtime and phones to the total value of P358,000.00 (About $44 750.00). Read More
Tigo customers live the Digital Experience at Expo 2015Tigo Rwanda has brought the real digital lifestyle to thousands of visitors at the International Trade Fair 2015 – EXPO 2015 in Kigali. Read More
FEATURED STORYYoung innovators shine during pitch sessions
Botswana saw an array of upcoming tech wizards selling their ideas during the Vendors’ Day pitch sessions this week.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHHigh tech homes: Just press play
High tech, digital homes where everything is automated and connected aren’t the stuff of science fiction any longer, says BNC Technology.