Nigeria names telecoms leaders
TELECOMS| Sept. 9, 2012, 9:42 a.m.
The annual Nigerian Telecoms Awards have recognised the country’s top telecoms personalities and companies.
At a ceremony at Victoria Island, Lagos, last night, the awards were handed to top achievers in 31 categories. Telco Airtel scooped awards in three categories.
The winners were:
1. African Telecom Personality of the year: Minister Omobola Johnson
2. African ICT Man of the year: Chief Godswill Akpabio
3. Telecom Legislator of the year: Hon. Oyetunde Ojo
4. ICT State Government of the year: Ekiti State
5. Indigenous Social Media Application of the year: Elcom Serve Limited
6. Best in Mobile Banking: First Bank Plc
7. CEO of the year: Funke Opeke
8. Society Friendly of the year: Globacom Nigeria
9. Youth Empowerment of the year: Globacom Nigeria
10. Best ICT Local Government in Lagos State: Lagos Island East Council Dev
11. Telecom Innovation of the year 2012: Lagos Traffic Radio
12. Best ICT Local Government in Ekiti State: Moba Local Government
13. Telecom Development State Government of the year: Edo State
14. ICT Governor of the year 2012: Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola
15. Telecom Marketing Company of the year: Insight Communications Ltd
16. Online Banking Company of the year: Diamond Bank Plc
17. Telecom Financing Bank of the Year (Capacity): Fidelity Bank Plc
18. Best in Data Backup and Recovery: 21st Century
19. Telecom Company of the year: Alcatel-Lucent
20. Fastest Growing Network of the year: Etisalat Nigeria
21. Brand of the year: Airtel
22. Innovative Company of the year: Airtel
23. Most Customer Friendly Network: Airtel
24. Best in Mobile Money Compliance: UBA Plc
25. Telecom Entrepreneur of the year: Jim Ovia
26. Computer Company of the year: Zinox Computers
27. Mobile Phones Dealer of the year: Slot System Limited
28. Telecom Music Ambassador of the year: Tuface
29. Card Innovation Bank of the year: Skye Bank Plc
30. Best Local Government in Cross River State: Calabar Municipal
31. Best ICT Local Government in Oyo State: Ibadan North
Speaking at the occasion, the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Nigerian Telecommunications Awards, Chief Alex Akinyele said the awards are sustained by credibility, describing the Industry event as the most credible in the Nigerian Telecoms space.
He pledged that the Board of Trustees will continue to live above board to retain the credibility of the Awards among stakeholders.
Also speaking at the event, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Dr. Ernest Ndukwe, in his speech, commended the organizers of the Awards saying, “though a lot of progress has been made since the advent of telecommunications in Nigeria, initiatives such as the telecoms awards spur further development that can ensure that Nigeria keeps pace with developments and innovations across the world.”
Some of the notable dignitaries at the event were the Executive Governor of Osun State, His Excellency, Rauf Aregbesola, His Deputy, Mrs Grace Titi-Laoye Tomori, the pioneer Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Ernest Ndukwe, former Governor of Ogun State, Chief Segun Osoba, former Minister of Communications, Chief Olawale Ige and former Minister of Defence and Communications, Bello Halilu Mohammed.
MORE TELECOMS NEWS
MTN Business completes Hybrid Cloud offering with Microsoft Azure ExpressRouteMTN Business has taken another step in moving African enterprises closer to accessing cloud services, with the announcement that it will offer Microsoft Azure ExpressRoute to its clientele. Read More
MTN bags prestigious international awardMTN has joined an elite group of household brands such as Apple and Coca Cola after being voted the Brand of the Year in the telecommunications category at the World Branding Awards in London, United Kingdom. Read More
MTN Uganda slashes call ratesMTN Uganda may have fired the first salvo in a new price war in Uganda’s telecoms sector, with its reduction of calling rates across all networks by over 40 percent. Read More
Airtel, Liquid Telecom in pan-African fibre dealAirtel will use Liquid Telecom's terrestrial fibre network to connect its mobile base stations and enterprises. Read More
Smile, Samsung strike VOLTE deal in NigeriaSmile Communications Nigeria Limited has partnered with Samsung Electronics West Africa to launch the first LTE compliant smartphone in Nigeria. Read More
MTN group selects Ericsson Order to Cash SuiteMTN has signed a multi-year agreement with Ericsson to implement, support and manage Ericsson's Order to Cash suite. This solution enables MTN to standardize the customer experience of its products and services in all the markets it is operational. Read More
Hajj pilgrims commend MTN’s free incoming calls in SaudiPilgrims embarking on the 2015 Hajj have commended MTN Nigeria for offering free incoming calls while roaming in Saudi Arabia. This is in addition to special discounted rates for calls and data services. Read More
Gottfried Odamtten-Sowah appointed Tigo Business DirectorTo further strengthen its cutting-edge solutions to business customers and empower Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to grow, Tigo Ghana has appointed Gottfried Odamtten-Sowah as the Director of Tigo Business. Read More
UC drives SME growth: VodacomVodacom Business Nigeria says unified communications can simplify and enhance communications for small and medium scale enterprises (SMEs). Read More
Airtel sponsors the Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation Forum 2015Bharti Airtel is the gold sponsor of the Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation (CTO) Forum 2015, taking place next week at the Safari Park Hotel in Nairobi, Kenya. Read More
FEATURED STORYInnovative designer takes e-waste to another level
Gladys Muyenzelwa is a Gaborone based artist and designer who has an eye for ethnic and contemporary design. But unlike other designers, Muyenzelwa has found a way of using e-waste to make her creations.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHHigh tech homes: Just press play
High tech, digital homes where everything is automated and connected aren’t the stuff of science fiction any longer, says BNC Technology.
COMPANY NEWSLuba Freeport streamlines its sea of paper with Sage X3
Luba Freeport has implemented the Finance and Distribution modules of the Sage X3 business management solution to automate its business processes across finance and operations.