New Citrix VDI-in-a-Box release makes simple, affordable virtual desktops more personal
INDUSTRY| Aug. 21, 2012, 4:07 p.m.
Citrix has announced the release of Citrix VDI-In-a-Box 5.1, which just won the 2012 Best of Interop award for delivering a simple, affordable yet complete VDI solution with personalised end-user experiences.
The latest release of VDI-in-a-Box delivers complete end-user personalisation with personal vDisk technology that allows end-user applications and data to be preserved while giving IT the ability to manage only a single instance of the master image - saving time and cost.
This version also includes several feature enhancements to improve ease-of-use, flexibility, and performance such as optimisations for Google Earth, support for Active Directory failover, and beta support for the upcoming Windows 8 operating system.
The industry is rapidly moving from the PC era to the cloud era. Businesses of all sizes want to adopt desktop virtualisation and realise its benefits of driving efficiencies, adopting mobile workstyles and improving continuity, but many face tight budget and resource challenges. Citrix VDI-in-a-Box address these needs head on.
The VDI-in-a-Box design eliminates multiple moving parts that run up the cost and complexity of VDI. The all-in-one grid architecture runs on inexpensive off-the-shelf servers. Scaling simply involves adding another server, with nothing to rearchitect or reconfigure
“As customers are growing their deployments on VDI-in-a-Box, they are looking to increase the level of personalization offered to end-users without increasing complexity or costs,” says Sean Wainer, country manager Citrix South Africa. “With VDI-in-a-box 5.1, we offer customers a simle and affordable approach to delivering personalized virtual desktops, helping businesses of all sizes leverage the power of desktop virtualization to deliver employee mobility and flexibility.”
Citrix is building on the success of VDI-in-a-Box by further simplifying the purchase and rapid adoption of desktop virtualisation with these new additions:
· Personalised Virtual Desktops: Customers no longer have to choose between consolidating management using desktop pools or providing end-users the flexibility to install their own applications, data and personalised settings. VDI-in-a-Box 5.1 eliminates the need to create separate static desktops to carry forward end-user customisation by coupling single-instance management with the ability to have individual user workspaces for their applications and data.
· Single Instance Management: Rather than juggling many persistent desktops, IT can maintain one master copy of desktop images while preserving the personalisation of user applications and data. This dramatically reduces maintenance efforts and cuts datacenter storage costs up to 90 percent.
· Cost-effective Windows-as-a-Service with VDI: VDI-in-a-Box extends the Citrix vision of enabling Windows-as-a-Service and adds a simple, yet highly cost-effective VDI option based on VDI-in-a-Box to the successful Citrix Service Provider (CSP) portfolio of hosted-shared desktops with Citrix XenApp, and enterprise-class desktop virtualisation with XenDesktop. A new reference architecture enables service providers to deliver VDI-based Desktops-as-a-Service at a fraction of the costs of other alternatives while complying with Microsoft licensing.
· Better performance, Google Earth Support: VDI-in-a-Box 5.1 has several enhancements to improve performance in a variety of settings: Active Directory failover increases robustness; dual data stores to provide an option for faster tiers of storage such as SSDs for critical data; a grid-wide virtual IP provides another layer of built-in load balancing; and optimizations for Google Earth enable users to run the popular application seamlessly.
· Simpler: VDI-in-a-Box 5.1 continues to push the envelope on simplicity and automation with a host of new features that make deployment, upgrades, and management intuitive and fast. The new touchless desktop agent automatically propagates upgrades across all the images in a VDI-in-a-Box grid, thus saving administrator time. Other new features such as support for multiple virtual CPUs, and partitioning of user and computer domains increase compliance and flexibility.
· Support for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 8 (Beta): VDI-in-a-Box 5.1 manages Windows 2008 R2, Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8-based virtual desktops, enabling customers to select the ideal virtual desktop environment based on compatibility and costs. All features of Windows 8 including the new Metro interface are fully supported. This feature is currently in beta pending the general availability of Windows 8.
· Proactive Monitoring and Alerting: VDI-in-a-Box deployments can be easily monitored, tracking key health and performance metrics on the physical and virtual infrastructure helping to keep end users productive. Alerts can be configured to provide an “early-warning-system,” giving IT time to troubleshoot problems proactively, making configuration changes before users are even impacted. Using VDI-in-a-Box combined with Citrix GoToAssist, cloud-based monitoring and remote support tools, IT can monitor all VDI deployments and set up and securely access, over the internet, all VDI-in-a-Box servers from a PC, Mac or iPad using remote support.
Growing Partner Ecosystem
With the growing popularity of VDI-in-a-Box, partners are joining forces with Citrix to make virtual desktops easy with validated hardware appliances and configurations that eliminate guesswork and deliver predictable, repeatable performance at affordable prices.
· Dell has updated its DVS Simplified appliance running VDI-in-a-Box to leverage the increased memory capabilities and I/O performance of the Dell PowerEdge R720 servers to support up to 129 users per appliance for a basic workload. The DVS Simplified appliance delivers virtual desktops for under $500 per desktop, including three years of Dell ProSupport. To complement DVS Simplified Appliance, Dell has verified several Dell Wyse zero and thin clients: Dell Wyse C10LE, Xenith, R10L, R90LW and T10, as Citrix Ready for VDI-in-a-Box.
· HP released its client virtualisation reference architecture for VDI-in-a-Box, providing simple configurations for 50 or 100 users, and scalable to higher user count. The reference architecture provides a means for HP channel partners and customers to realize affordable solutions with an end-to-end VDI bundle with HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 servers, Citrix VDI-in-a-Box, and HP Thin Clients. All new HP Thin Clients are verified Citrix HDX Ready.
Extending Desktop Virtualisation Beyond VDI
Citrix has also made available a license migration path from VDI-in-a-Box to XenDesktop for customers that want to extend beyond VDI to leverage the full flexibility of XenDesktop. The end-user experience is consistent across both products as both VDI-in-a-Box and XenDesktop use the same Citrix HDX stack and Citrix Receiver.
VDI-in-a-Box is available for download on August 21, 2012.
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
Gilat Telecom Uganda provides internet services for 60 business customersGilat Satcom has established an ISP in Uganda which is already providing fast, reliable and highly secure broadband services to more than 60 business clients, mainly around Kampala and Entebbe. Read More
New solution to beat identity theftIdeco is launching its new all-in-one mobile biometrics unit in South Africa. The Biometric Identity Management System (BIMS) enables biometric identification across a range of modalities, from fingerprint through to iris scanning. Read More
Cellphones to improve healthcare access and quality in AfricaMaking use of VMware technologies, Medic Mobile has developed a software kit to be used in almost any kind of environment, support any language, and work with or without Internet connectivity, locally or in the cloud Read More
Safaricom uses Nokia CEM on DemandSafaricom, the largest integrated telecommunication service provider in East Africa, is improving services for more than 25 million subscribers in Kenya, thanks to Nokia's Customer Experience Management on Demand. Read More
Standard Bank digital innovation delivers single biometric and cross border banking accessibilityAfrica’s largest bank by assets, Standard Bank, has seen its mobile traffic growing 100% a year as customers embrace more convenient and efficient solutions for their banking needs. Read More
Telco Systems Rolls Out New 10GE High Capacity Carrier Ethernet Network for KENET in KenyaTelco Systems, the leading provider of innovative CE 2.0, MPLS, IP and SDN & NFV solutions, has announced that the company has successfully deployed a new 10GE high capacity carrier Ethernet network for the Kenya Education Network (KENET) in Kenya. Read More
GeoPoll, Kantar Media, Cuende announce first Pan-African Out of Home measurement productGlobal leaders in audience research use satellite imagery and mobile survey data to measure OOH reach in Africa. Read More
BICS blocks over 10m fraudulent call attempts with FraudGuard in 2016BICS, a global wholesale carrier for voice, mobile data and capacity services says its crowdsourcing fraud prevention platform, FraudGuard, detected and blocked more than 10 million fraudulent call attempts on its customers’ networks during the first quarter of 2016. Read More
Samsung elevates Mobile Phone picture quality with new image sensorSamsung Electronics South Africa, a world leader in advanced semiconductor technology, announced its newest 12 megapixel (Mp) image sensor for smartphones, which will elevate the quality of mobile phone pictures. Read More
R&M and FNT Collaborate to Launch Comprehensive Solution for Data Centre Cable Management in MEAReichle & De-Massari (R&M) and FNT Software have unveiled their joint solution for data centre cable management. Read More
FEATURED STORYFirst-ever Africa Barclays Accelerator programme concludes
Ten fintech companies have concluded the first-ever Barclays Accelerator, powered by Techstars in Africa.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHEthical Hacking students can’t get a heck of a job
Botswana ethical hacking students report that they are failing to break into the local job market.
COMPANY NEWSThe Tech Revolution: Sage Sets out the Vision for African Businesses
Sage, a market leader in cloud accounting software used its global Sage Summit 2016, held this week in Chicago, to outline its strong commitment to future technologies, ...