MTN to re-run Beeg promo
BUSINESS| April 24, 2012, 10:35 a.m.
By Edith Mwale, Lusaka, Zambia
In the face of the promotion scandal that has potentially damaged MTN’s reputation; the company has announced it will repeat the promotion in order to award a genuine winner.
The first K1 billion Win ‘Beeg’ competition suffered a set-back and embarrassed MTN after allegations emerged that the winner may have been fraudulently selected because the winner was the girlfriend of the company’s IT specialist.
MTN chief executive officer Abdul Ismail said at a media briefing yesterday that the mobile telecommunication company will use a different ‘fool proof’ system in conducting the re-run of the draw to avoid alleged tampering of the system.
He said his company had a ‘zero tolerance on corruption’ hence the reason it is doing everything to assist law enforcement agencies particularly the Drug Enforcement Commission in their investigations.
Ismail said the MTN employee, Jones Ilukena, who is implicated in the matter has been suspended until investigations are concluded.
“We now have information that the winner of the K1 billion cash grand prize may have been fraudulently selected. It is very unfortunate the situation has occurred,” Ismail said.
While regretting the incident, Ismail said the promotion had been run in good faith and that it was genuinely meant to empower the winner.
He said MTN opted to re-run the draw despite the on-going investigations to assure its customers that the company means well. Ismail said the same data (customer information) will be used to ensure that a legitimate winner is chosen this time.
Ismail said MTN’s promotions are audited and reasonable security measures are put in place to ensure transparency in the selection of winners.
Last week Friday, the Drug Enforcement Commission instituted investigations on alleged fraud against the winner of the MTN BEEG promotion Namucana Sinuma and the MTN IT specialist Ilukena. Both Sinuma and Ilukena have been arrested by police over the scandal. According to Southern Province Commissioner of Police Brenda Muntemba, the software that was allegedly used to hack the computer system has been found and confiscated by the police.
So far, the Zambia Information and Communication Technology Authority, the country’s telecom sector regulator, has refused to comment on the scandal. But public outcry over the scandal is growing.
MORE BUSINESS NEWS
Business incubator to boost 200 Zimbabwean entrepreneurs200 would-be Zimbabwean entrepreneurs are set to benefit from business training and support, thanks to a business development programme to be launched by business incubation specialist KBA Africa. Read More
Union gives Globacom 14 days to reinstate 54 sacked workersThe Private Telecoms & Communications Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PTECSSAN) has urged Globacom to reinstate the workers it allegedly sacked from its service. Read More
British envoy promises more investors at Rack CentreMr Paul Arkwright, British High Commissioner to Nigeria, has promised to do his utmost to encourage more British companies to do business with their Nigerian Counterparts. Read More
UBA, Mastercard in pan-African partnershipUBA and Mastercard have announced a five year deal across 19 markets focused on driving financial inclusion in Africa. Read More
MTN Business partners with the National Gazelles to boost SMEs marketMTN Business today announced a new drive to help support the growth of small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and contribute to creating sustainable entities. Read More
Travelport appoints new Managing Director for AfricaTravelport has announced the appointment of Douglas Jewson as Travelport’s Managing Director for Africa. Read More
Brexit’s impact on AfricaThe short-term implications of Brexit for African economies will be mainly noticeable through market volatility, say Control Risks and NKC African Economics. Read More
Safaricom Blaze to take 2nd youth empowerment summit to ThikaSafaricom will this Friday, 8th July 2016, host the 2nd in a series of youth empowerment summits under its recently launched sub-brand, BLAZE. Read More
Kris Senanu to lead Telkom Kenya Enterprise DivisionTelkom Kenya has announced the appointment of Mr. Kris Senanu as the MD of its Enterprise Division. Read More
FEATURED STORYFirst-ever Africa Barclays Accelerator programme concludes
Ten fintech companies have concluded the first-ever Barclays Accelerator, powered by Techstars in Africa.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHEthical Hacking students can’t get a heck of a job
Botswana ethical hacking students report that they are failing to break into the local job market.