INDUSTRY| July 20, 2012, 9:11 a.m.
"The deCarta LBS platform features a myriad of APIs (application programming interfaces), and with its latest developments this allows online platforms and applications to location-enable their offerings while maintaining total control of their data, their user base and their monetisation potential.” explains Etienne Louw, Managing Director of mapIT. "It is the perfect white labelling platform which, in partnership with mapIT as an anonymous enabler, will allow companies to take their brand to the next level in social and mobile technology usage."
There has been a recent recognition among on-line and mobile sites that, while services like Google Maps are very good, there are also numerous compromises that come with using these generic platforms. Increasingly, both large and small developers are looking for Map API alternatives that provide them with:
• The ability to customise and differentiate their location services
• Their own branding, not that of a potential competitor
• Control over the way their content is used
• The ability to monetise the service themselves as opposed to being a publisher for others
Location services are the core enablers that unlock hyper-local information and context for mobile users. Because of the tremendous value of these services, third party platforms, such as Google, have invested billions of dollars and millions of man-years into developing these services, embedding them in their operating systems and then extending them to application developers.
However this requires that those companies share, or in some cases, lose control of the value that comes from this location function.
“In the last six months, we have seen a strong market trend towards location services that can be tuned and targeted wholly to a company sites’ brand, content and business model. This has resulted in many hundreds of new developers signing up to our DevZone,” said J. Kim Fennell, President and CEO of deCarta. “Our new API makes it that much easier for these developers to build and deploy the creative location services that they want.”
• Write Once, Run Anywhere
- Cross-device API that will allow for building applications that run seamlessly on tablets, smartphones and desktop devices
- Dramatic savings in development costs as customers don’t need to dedicate separate teams to build mobile versions of their desktop apps
• Control The Look & Feel Of Your Map Experience
- The flexible UI library is highly customisable and allows customers to design applications that reflect their visual style of choice and brand
- Customers can also choose from 5 pre-set map styles or build their own map style
• Source Code Included with API
- Customers can download the complete source code for the API from the deCarta DevZone, allowing them to get under the hood and customise and extend the API to a fuller extent than otherwise found in the industry
- Detailed documentation and live examples are available with source code to enable developers to quickly “Snap Together” and build a complete LBS application, thereby significantly shortening development time
• Highly Scalable
- deCarta’s platform supports some of the largest LBS services in the world
- Cloud based service or available as a self-hosted solution
- Native-like User Experience
- Hardware accelerated graphics, geo-location API, CSS3, Media-Queries, Local Storage
• Fleet/MRM market specific features
- Pin Clustering
- Draggable Shapes
- Customisable Polygons
- Exclusion Zones
- Highly Configurable Routing
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
MainOne’s Data Center attains West Africa’s 1st SAP HANA® CertificationMainOne, the premier connectivity and data center Solutions Company, today announced that its Data Center subsidiary, MDXi is now an SAP-certified provider of Infrastructure Services for SAP® solutions. Read More
Riverbed Announces Definitive Agreement to Acquire AternityAcquisition expands Riverbed’s SteelCentral offerings, providing the industry’s best and most comprehensive end-to-end visibility solution in the market – spanning network, application and end user experience management. Read More
Gilat Telecom Uganda provides internet services for 60 business customersGilat Satcom has established an ISP in Uganda which is already providing fast, reliable and highly secure broadband services to more than 60 business clients, mainly around Kampala and Entebbe. Read More
New solution to beat identity theftIdeco is launching its new all-in-one mobile biometrics unit in South Africa. The Biometric Identity Management System (BIMS) enables biometric identification across a range of modalities, from fingerprint through to iris scanning. Read More
Cellphones to improve healthcare access and quality in AfricaMaking use of VMware technologies, Medic Mobile has developed a software kit to be used in almost any kind of environment, support any language, and work with or without Internet connectivity, locally or in the cloud Read More
Safaricom uses Nokia CEM on DemandSafaricom, the largest integrated telecommunication service provider in East Africa, is improving services for more than 25 million subscribers in Kenya, thanks to Nokia's Customer Experience Management on Demand. Read More
Standard Bank digital innovation delivers single biometric and cross border banking accessibilityAfrica’s largest bank by assets, Standard Bank, has seen its mobile traffic growing 100% a year as customers embrace more convenient and efficient solutions for their banking needs. Read More
Telco Systems Rolls Out New 10GE High Capacity Carrier Ethernet Network for KENET in KenyaTelco Systems, the leading provider of innovative CE 2.0, MPLS, IP and SDN & NFV solutions, has announced that the company has successfully deployed a new 10GE high capacity carrier Ethernet network for the Kenya Education Network (KENET) in Kenya. Read More
GeoPoll, Kantar Media, Cuende announce first Pan-African Out of Home measurement productGlobal leaders in audience research use satellite imagery and mobile survey data to measure OOH reach in Africa. Read More
BICS blocks over 10m fraudulent call attempts with FraudGuard in 2016BICS, a global wholesale carrier for voice, mobile data and capacity services says its crowdsourcing fraud prevention platform, FraudGuard, detected and blocked more than 10 million fraudulent call attempts on its customers’ networks during the first quarter of 2016. Read More
FEATURED STORYFinancial services sees AI as both opportunity and threat
Banking is already a key area where technology is having an impact throughout Africa, and a new survey assesses the impact artificial intelligence will have on this sector.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHAccess and Use of ICT stats released
Statistics Botswana has released the first results of the 2014 Information and Communication Technology Household Survey.
COMPANY NEWSTigo explores options to give customers a greater choice for 4G services in Ghana
Following her recent visit to Ghana, Cynthia Gordon, the CEO of Millicom Africa, has emphasized the remarkable growth opportunities in data and Tigo’s commitment to giving customers ...