INDUSTRY| July 20, 2012, 9:11 a.m.
"The deCarta LBS platform features a myriad of APIs (application programming interfaces), and with its latest developments this allows online platforms and applications to location-enable their offerings while maintaining total control of their data, their user base and their monetisation potential.” explains Etienne Louw, Managing Director of mapIT. "It is the perfect white labelling platform which, in partnership with mapIT as an anonymous enabler, will allow companies to take their brand to the next level in social and mobile technology usage."
There has been a recent recognition among on-line and mobile sites that, while services like Google Maps are very good, there are also numerous compromises that come with using these generic platforms. Increasingly, both large and small developers are looking for Map API alternatives that provide them with:
• The ability to customise and differentiate their location services
• Their own branding, not that of a potential competitor
• Control over the way their content is used
• The ability to monetise the service themselves as opposed to being a publisher for others
Location services are the core enablers that unlock hyper-local information and context for mobile users. Because of the tremendous value of these services, third party platforms, such as Google, have invested billions of dollars and millions of man-years into developing these services, embedding them in their operating systems and then extending them to application developers.
However this requires that those companies share, or in some cases, lose control of the value that comes from this location function.
“In the last six months, we have seen a strong market trend towards location services that can be tuned and targeted wholly to a company sites’ brand, content and business model. This has resulted in many hundreds of new developers signing up to our DevZone,” said J. Kim Fennell, President and CEO of deCarta. “Our new API makes it that much easier for these developers to build and deploy the creative location services that they want.”
• Write Once, Run Anywhere
- Cross-device API that will allow for building applications that run seamlessly on tablets, smartphones and desktop devices
- Dramatic savings in development costs as customers don’t need to dedicate separate teams to build mobile versions of their desktop apps
• Control The Look & Feel Of Your Map Experience
- The flexible UI library is highly customisable and allows customers to design applications that reflect their visual style of choice and brand
- Customers can also choose from 5 pre-set map styles or build their own map style
• Source Code Included with API
- Customers can download the complete source code for the API from the deCarta DevZone, allowing them to get under the hood and customise and extend the API to a fuller extent than otherwise found in the industry
- Detailed documentation and live examples are available with source code to enable developers to quickly “Snap Together” and build a complete LBS application, thereby significantly shortening development time
• Highly Scalable
- deCarta’s platform supports some of the largest LBS services in the world
- Cloud based service or available as a self-hosted solution
- Native-like User Experience
- Hardware accelerated graphics, geo-location API, CSS3, Media-Queries, Local Storage
• Fleet/MRM market specific features
- Pin Clustering
- Draggable Shapes
- Customisable Polygons
- Exclusion Zones
- Highly Configurable Routing
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
TomTom enhances maps worldwideTomTom (TOM2) has announced map updates around the globe, increasing coverage and improving features for all business customers. Read More
Gemalto prepaid EMV banking cards extend reach of Vodacom m-pesa mobile wallet in South AfricaGemalto (Euronext NL0000400653 GTO), the world leader in digital security, announces the deployment of prepaid EMV banking cards to complement Vodacom’s m-pesa mobile wallet service in South Africa. Read More
GIT, SecuSystems use video compression technology to cut illegal mining incidents in Ghana, TanzaniaIn Ghana and Tanzania, incidents of illegal mining have been cut by more than 50% for one pan-African mining company. The use of Thermal Imaging cameras in security vehicles and at high sites, along with the capability to record and view each incident live – from ground zero or control rooms ... Read More
Gemalto opens regional office in Côte d’IvoireGemalto, a leader in digital security, has announced the opening of an office in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, to better meet the needs of its customers on the ground throughout West Africa. Read More
SLA Mobile signs partnership agreement with Blue Turtle TechnologiesSLA Mobile, a global mobile solutions provider, has announced an agreement with Blue Turtle Technologies (Blue Turtle), a leading IT management solutions company, to bring together managed Digital Services to the African market. Read More
Dell reveals best portfolio of consumer devices in company historyDell announced at CES 2015 an expanded portfolio of award-winning devices featuring premium materials, stylish finishes and the latest technologies from its XPS, Alienware, Venue, Inspiron and displays families. Read More
SanDisk unveils improved USB Flash Drive for Android smartphones and tablets– SanDisk Corporation (NASDAQ: SNDK), a global leader in flash storage solutions, today announcedSanDisk Ultra® Dual USB Drive 3.0, a USB flash drive featuring both a micro-USB and a high-speed USB 3.0 connector for super-fast file transfers between On The Go (OTG)-enabled Android™ devices1, PC and Mac computers. Read More
LG ushers in new year with ‘innovation for a better life’Highlighting LG Electronics' (LG) “Innovation for a better Life” theme for the 2015 International CES, LG Chief Technology Officer Dr. Skott Ahn yesterday explained how the Internet of Things (IoT) is transforming the way consumers live, work and play. Read More
Samsung Electronics unveils new monitors and signage at 2015 CESSamsung Electronics Co., Ltd. announced that it will exhibit new and expanded display products at the 2015 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), including a complete line-up of Curved monitors and SMART LED Signage. Read More
CWG emerges VMware Solution Provider of the YearComputer Warehouse Group Plc (CWG) has been recognised as the Solution Provider of the Year and Renewals Partner for the Year in the entire West East and Central Africa (WECA) region at the annual VMware Channels award ceremony recently held in Johannesburg, South Africa. Read More
FEATURED STORYUCC launches 2015 ACIA awards
Uganda has launched the fifth Annual Communications and Innovation Awards, which celebrate and foster ICT innovation and achievement.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHKenya’s digital TV battle hots up
Kenya’s journey to Digital TV broadcasting took a new turn this week, when the Communication Authority of Kenya (CAK) accused three local media firms of intent to disrupt the process.
COMPANY NEWSAlbany CTG, Microsoft, collaborate on School of Government Program
The University at Albany’s Center for Technology in Government (CTG) has announced its collaboration with Microsoft Corporation to deliver executive level training to government leaders in Africa ...VMware reports fourth quarter and full year 2014 results
VMware, the global leader in virtualisation and cloud infrastructure, has announced financial results for the fourth quarter and full year of 2014.