INDUSTRY| July 20, 2012, 9:11 a.m.
"The deCarta LBS platform features a myriad of APIs (application programming interfaces), and with its latest developments this allows online platforms and applications to location-enable their offerings while maintaining total control of their data, their user base and their monetisation potential.” explains Etienne Louw, Managing Director of mapIT. "It is the perfect white labelling platform which, in partnership with mapIT as an anonymous enabler, will allow companies to take their brand to the next level in social and mobile technology usage."
There has been a recent recognition among on-line and mobile sites that, while services like Google Maps are very good, there are also numerous compromises that come with using these generic platforms. Increasingly, both large and small developers are looking for Map API alternatives that provide them with:
• The ability to customise and differentiate their location services
• Their own branding, not that of a potential competitor
• Control over the way their content is used
• The ability to monetise the service themselves as opposed to being a publisher for others
Location services are the core enablers that unlock hyper-local information and context for mobile users. Because of the tremendous value of these services, third party platforms, such as Google, have invested billions of dollars and millions of man-years into developing these services, embedding them in their operating systems and then extending them to application developers.
However this requires that those companies share, or in some cases, lose control of the value that comes from this location function.
“In the last six months, we have seen a strong market trend towards location services that can be tuned and targeted wholly to a company sites’ brand, content and business model. This has resulted in many hundreds of new developers signing up to our DevZone,” said J. Kim Fennell, President and CEO of deCarta. “Our new API makes it that much easier for these developers to build and deploy the creative location services that they want.”
• Write Once, Run Anywhere
- Cross-device API that will allow for building applications that run seamlessly on tablets, smartphones and desktop devices
- Dramatic savings in development costs as customers don’t need to dedicate separate teams to build mobile versions of their desktop apps
• Control The Look & Feel Of Your Map Experience
- The flexible UI library is highly customisable and allows customers to design applications that reflect their visual style of choice and brand
- Customers can also choose from 5 pre-set map styles or build their own map style
• Source Code Included with API
- Customers can download the complete source code for the API from the deCarta DevZone, allowing them to get under the hood and customise and extend the API to a fuller extent than otherwise found in the industry
- Detailed documentation and live examples are available with source code to enable developers to quickly “Snap Together” and build a complete LBS application, thereby significantly shortening development time
• Highly Scalable
- deCarta’s platform supports some of the largest LBS services in the world
- Cloud based service or available as a self-hosted solution
- Native-like User Experience
- Hardware accelerated graphics, geo-location API, CSS3, Media-Queries, Local Storage
• Fleet/MRM market specific features
- Pin Clustering
- Draggable Shapes
- Customisable Polygons
- Exclusion Zones
- Highly Configurable Routing
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
Philips ushers in new era of imaging with first-ever digital broadband MRI systemPhilips East Africa and the Diagnostic Imaging Department at Karen Hospital recently inaugurated the Philips Ingenia 3.0T MRI - the first-ever digital broadband magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) solution. Read More
Business Connexion Partners with Kentico to offer Content Management SolutionBusiness Connexion (BCX) today announced it has entered a partnership with Kentico Software, the Web Content and Customer Experience Management provider, to provide customers with leading content management systems developed using the Microsoft Technology stack. Read More
CA Technologies introduces the Management CloudCA Southern Africa has revealed that at the recently held WORLD ’14, CA Technologies introduced the Management Cloud – a broad portfolio of easy-to-use CA applications, delivered from the cloud, that enable customers to make the right portfolio decisions, deliver exceptional service experience and empower the modern, mobile workforce. Read More
Palladium leads the charge for accountantsPalladium Software has partnered with the Southern African Institute of Business Accountants (SAIBA) and will now offer its clients and business partners one year's free membership with the Institute. Read More
Wallettec brings mobile payment solutions to businessFor the first time in Africa, it is possible for businesses to process mobile payment transactions at any Point of Sale and allow mobile money users to pay with their digital or crypto currency not only online but bricks and mortar as well, thanks to Wallettec. Read More
Pamoja and SEACOM – strength in the CloudPamoja, a leading Cloud services company, continues to dominate this area of the market and is progressing in its quest to cultivate a Cloud services marketplace for the continent. The Company is achieving this by leveraging one of its primary differentiating qualities, namely the ongoing investment of network capacity by ... Read More
Acer to meet global carbon emissions reduction goal ahead of 2015 targetWith the use of 100% green electricity by Acer’s U.S. operations, the ratio of green power usage by Acer worldwide will exceed 30% by the end of 2014. Read More
MakerBot Expands 3D printer distribution and sales to South AfricaMakerBot has partnered with Rectron SA to distribute its 3D printers and scanners in the region. Read More
RAD to Exhibit the First Customer Edge Distributed NFV Solution and Ecosystem at AfricaCom 2014RAD has announced that it will be exhibiting the industry’s first dedicated customer-edge Distributed Network Functions Virtualization (D-NFV) solution at AfricaCom 2014. Read More
FEATURED STORYGSMA: half a billion mobile subscribers in SSA by 2020
The number of unique mobile subscribers in Sub-Saharan Africa will pass the half billion mark in 2020, says a new GSMA report.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHAfrica lags on digital migration
Only three African countries have so far completed the digital migration process, and serious issues are hampering the migration in other nations.
COMPANY NEWSLeading through volatility in Africa
For the businesses that are prepared to face the storm and manage the volatility afflicting the continent, there are still huge rewards to be had from doing business ...