INDUSTRY| July 20, 2012, 9:11 a.m.
"The deCarta LBS platform features a myriad of APIs (application programming interfaces), and with its latest developments this allows online platforms and applications to location-enable their offerings while maintaining total control of their data, their user base and their monetisation potential.” explains Etienne Louw, Managing Director of mapIT. "It is the perfect white labelling platform which, in partnership with mapIT as an anonymous enabler, will allow companies to take their brand to the next level in social and mobile technology usage."
There has been a recent recognition among on-line and mobile sites that, while services like Google Maps are very good, there are also numerous compromises that come with using these generic platforms. Increasingly, both large and small developers are looking for Map API alternatives that provide them with:
• The ability to customise and differentiate their location services
• Their own branding, not that of a potential competitor
• Control over the way their content is used
• The ability to monetise the service themselves as opposed to being a publisher for others
Location services are the core enablers that unlock hyper-local information and context for mobile users. Because of the tremendous value of these services, third party platforms, such as Google, have invested billions of dollars and millions of man-years into developing these services, embedding them in their operating systems and then extending them to application developers.
However this requires that those companies share, or in some cases, lose control of the value that comes from this location function.
“In the last six months, we have seen a strong market trend towards location services that can be tuned and targeted wholly to a company sites’ brand, content and business model. This has resulted in many hundreds of new developers signing up to our DevZone,” said J. Kim Fennell, President and CEO of deCarta. “Our new API makes it that much easier for these developers to build and deploy the creative location services that they want.”
• Write Once, Run Anywhere
- Cross-device API that will allow for building applications that run seamlessly on tablets, smartphones and desktop devices
- Dramatic savings in development costs as customers don’t need to dedicate separate teams to build mobile versions of their desktop apps
• Control The Look & Feel Of Your Map Experience
- The flexible UI library is highly customisable and allows customers to design applications that reflect their visual style of choice and brand
- Customers can also choose from 5 pre-set map styles or build their own map style
• Source Code Included with API
- Customers can download the complete source code for the API from the deCarta DevZone, allowing them to get under the hood and customise and extend the API to a fuller extent than otherwise found in the industry
- Detailed documentation and live examples are available with source code to enable developers to quickly “Snap Together” and build a complete LBS application, thereby significantly shortening development time
• Highly Scalable
- deCarta’s platform supports some of the largest LBS services in the world
- Cloud based service or available as a self-hosted solution
- Native-like User Experience
- Hardware accelerated graphics, geo-location API, CSS3, Media-Queries, Local Storage
• Fleet/MRM market specific features
- Pin Clustering
- Draggable Shapes
- Customisable Polygons
- Exclusion Zones
- Highly Configurable Routing
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
GSMA case study: Nomanini enables rapid, reliable prepaid retail in informal marketsA new case study from GSMA has highlighted the Nomanini mobile point of sale terminal and cloud-based distribution platform. Read More
Citrix, Google enhance enterprise security and management of Android devicesXenMobile Supports Android for Work; Extends Citrix Leadership in Secure Mobile Workspace Solutions for the Broadest Array of Devices. Read More
Make life easier for your customers with recurring paymentsMerchants should implement recurring payments within their businesses to improve their own cash flow and reduce costs, but automatic billing can also help build customer loyalty through the added convenience. Read More
Accelya Solution to help Air Namibia to manage costs and profitabilityAir Namibia expands relationship with Accelya; selects cost management and flight profitability solutions. Read More
Wipro Invests R3.8 million in skills development, job creation in SAWipro Ltd, a leading global information technology, consulting and business process services company, has announced an investment of R3.8 million towards skills development and job creation in South Africa. Read More
Airtel Niger selects Ericsson for 3G network deploymentAirtel, Niger’s leading mobile service provider has named Ericsson as their exclusive 3G HSPA end-to-end hardware, software and related service vendor in Niger Republic. Read More
Orange Mali upgrades WiMAX infrastructureOrange Mali recently selected Alepo to enhance its WiMAX core infrastructure via Alepo’s high-performance AAA infrastructure. Read More
CommVault, Crayon partner to bring data management software to EMEA cloud service providersCommVault has announced that its data management platform would be available via EMEA cloud hosting partners through a new strategic aggregator partnership with Crayon, a global leader in service provider licensing, management and consultancy. Read More
Printronix announces partnership with Talk TechnologyPrintronix, a leading manufacturer of line printing solutions has signed an African distribution partnership for Africa with IT distributor Talk Technology. Read More
FEATURED STORYMalawi Govt denies clinging to ‘Cashgate’ software
The Malawi Government will not exclude the software brand that has been in use for the country’s Integrated Financial Management System (IFMIS), but it has rejected reports implying that it is ‘clinging’ to the old system.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHKenya’s digital TV battle hots up
Kenya’s journey to Digital TV broadcasting took a new turn this week, when the Communication Authority of Kenya (CAK) accused three local media firms of intent to disrupt the process.
COMPANY NEWSVMware unveils vCloud for NFV with Integrated OpenStack to accelerate service innovation
VMware, the global leader in virtualisation and cloud infrastructure, today debuted VMware vCloud for NFV, an integrated Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) platform that will combine VMware’s production-proven ...