INDUSTRY| July 20, 2012, 9:11 a.m.
"The deCarta LBS platform features a myriad of APIs (application programming interfaces), and with its latest developments this allows online platforms and applications to location-enable their offerings while maintaining total control of their data, their user base and their monetisation potential.” explains Etienne Louw, Managing Director of mapIT. "It is the perfect white labelling platform which, in partnership with mapIT as an anonymous enabler, will allow companies to take their brand to the next level in social and mobile technology usage."
There has been a recent recognition among on-line and mobile sites that, while services like Google Maps are very good, there are also numerous compromises that come with using these generic platforms. Increasingly, both large and small developers are looking for Map API alternatives that provide them with:
• The ability to customise and differentiate their location services
• Their own branding, not that of a potential competitor
• Control over the way their content is used
• The ability to monetise the service themselves as opposed to being a publisher for others
Location services are the core enablers that unlock hyper-local information and context for mobile users. Because of the tremendous value of these services, third party platforms, such as Google, have invested billions of dollars and millions of man-years into developing these services, embedding them in their operating systems and then extending them to application developers.
However this requires that those companies share, or in some cases, lose control of the value that comes from this location function.
“In the last six months, we have seen a strong market trend towards location services that can be tuned and targeted wholly to a company sites’ brand, content and business model. This has resulted in many hundreds of new developers signing up to our DevZone,” said J. Kim Fennell, President and CEO of deCarta. “Our new API makes it that much easier for these developers to build and deploy the creative location services that they want.”
• Write Once, Run Anywhere
- Cross-device API that will allow for building applications that run seamlessly on tablets, smartphones and desktop devices
- Dramatic savings in development costs as customers don’t need to dedicate separate teams to build mobile versions of their desktop apps
• Control The Look & Feel Of Your Map Experience
- The flexible UI library is highly customisable and allows customers to design applications that reflect their visual style of choice and brand
- Customers can also choose from 5 pre-set map styles or build their own map style
• Source Code Included with API
- Customers can download the complete source code for the API from the deCarta DevZone, allowing them to get under the hood and customise and extend the API to a fuller extent than otherwise found in the industry
- Detailed documentation and live examples are available with source code to enable developers to quickly “Snap Together” and build a complete LBS application, thereby significantly shortening development time
• Highly Scalable
- deCarta’s platform supports some of the largest LBS services in the world
- Cloud based service or available as a self-hosted solution
- Native-like User Experience
- Hardware accelerated graphics, geo-location API, CSS3, Media-Queries, Local Storage
• Fleet/MRM market specific features
- Pin Clustering
- Draggable Shapes
- Customisable Polygons
- Exclusion Zones
- Highly Configurable Routing
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
MakerBot Expands 3D printer distribution and sales to South AfricaMakerBot has partnered with Rectron SA to distribute its 3D printers and scanners in the region. Read More
RAD to Exhibit the First Customer Edge Distributed NFV Solution and Ecosystem at AfricaCom 2014RAD has announced that it will be exhibiting the industry’s first dedicated customer-edge Distributed Network Functions Virtualization (D-NFV) solution at AfricaCom 2014. Read More
BMG selects JDA Cloud solutionsJDA Software Group has announced that Bearing Man Group (BMG), a leading engineering solutions provider in Africa, has selected JDA Cloud for the JDA® Demand, JDA® Fulfillment and JDA® Warehouse Management solutions from the JDA Distribution Centric Supply Chain suite to gain better visibility and insight into regional demand for ... Read More
Softworx launches African growth initiativeEOH Company and Infor Master Partner, Softworx has launched the Africa Partner Network (Softworx APN) to channel Infor software sales and consulting services throughout Sub-Saharan Africa. Read More
IBM Announces First Commercial Application of IBM Watson in AfricaIBM and Metropolitan Health have announced the first commercial application of Watson in Africa. IBM's Watson is a groundbreaking computing platform able to interact in natural language. Read More
ATIO to introduce voice biometrics to their customers through partnership with OneVaultSpecialist ICT Services Provider ATIO has announced that they have partnered with voice biometric authentication service provider OneVault to offer innovative voice biometric solutions to their customers. Read More
Samsung revolutionises digital signageSamsung Electronics South Africa announces the availability of Smart Signage TV, a revolutionary new device designed for small and medium businesses (SMBs) and small office/home office (SOHO) owners. Read More
averda looks to clean more cities in Africaaverda, a global provider of innovative integrated waste management services, has showcased its new equipment dedicated to serve Casablanca. Read More
CA delivers latest SaaS-based enterprise mobility management with Zero-Day support for iOS 8CA Southern Africa has confirmed that CA Technologies (NASDAQ: CA) is continuing to transform enterprises into being “Mobile First” with the release of its SaaS-based Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solution suite and providing zero-day support for iOS 8 across mobile device, application, content and email management. Read More
Orange Business Services launches worldwide location services for Machine to Machine SIM cardsThe new Machine to Machine (M2M) worldwide geolocation offering from Orange Business Services provides real-time location tracking of corporate assets and equipment anywhere in the world via cellular networks, regardless of the operator. Read More
FEATURED STORYGrowing African focus on data security
Beachhead Solutions’ new SA and Mauritius country manager explains the challenges and solutions around securing customer data and compliance with new personal information legislation.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHAfrica lags on digital migration
Only three African countries have so far completed the digital migration process, and serious issues are hampering the migration in other nations.
COMPANY NEWSSchneider Electric off-grid, on-profit solutions to create social change in African rural communitie
Schneider Electric South Africa has set itself a target to create access to energy for 20,000 Africans by the end of this year.SAP accelerates shift to the Cloud with 41% revenue growth in third quarter
SAP has once again raised its revenue outlook, reporting broad market adoption of SAP HANA and its ‘Run Simple’ strategy validated.