INDUSTRYBy BiztechAfrica - July 20, 2012, 9:11 a.m.
"The deCarta LBS platform features a myriad of APIs (application programming interfaces), and with its latest developments this allows online platforms and applications to location-enable their offerings while maintaining total control of their data, their user base and their monetisation potential.” explains Etienne Louw, Managing Director of mapIT. "It is the perfect white labelling platform which, in partnership with mapIT as an anonymous enabler, will allow companies to take their brand to the next level in social and mobile technology usage."
There has been a recent recognition among on-line and mobile sites that, while services like Google Maps are very good, there are also numerous compromises that come with using these generic platforms. Increasingly, both large and small developers are looking for Map API alternatives that provide them with:
• The ability to customise and differentiate their location services
• Their own branding, not that of a potential competitor
• Control over the way their content is used
• The ability to monetise the service themselves as opposed to being a publisher for others
Location services are the core enablers that unlock hyper-local information and context for mobile users. Because of the tremendous value of these services, third party platforms, such as Google, have invested billions of dollars and millions of man-years into developing these services, embedding them in their operating systems and then extending them to application developers.
However this requires that those companies share, or in some cases, lose control of the value that comes from this location function.
“In the last six months, we have seen a strong market trend towards location services that can be tuned and targeted wholly to a company sites’ brand, content and business model. This has resulted in many hundreds of new developers signing up to our DevZone,” said J. Kim Fennell, President and CEO of deCarta. “Our new API makes it that much easier for these developers to build and deploy the creative location services that they want.”
• Write Once, Run Anywhere
- Cross-device API that will allow for building applications that run seamlessly on tablets, smartphones and desktop devices
- Dramatic savings in development costs as customers don’t need to dedicate separate teams to build mobile versions of their desktop apps
• Control The Look & Feel Of Your Map Experience
- The flexible UI library is highly customisable and allows customers to design applications that reflect their visual style of choice and brand
- Customers can also choose from 5 pre-set map styles or build their own map style
• Source Code Included with API
- Customers can download the complete source code for the API from the deCarta DevZone, allowing them to get under the hood and customise and extend the API to a fuller extent than otherwise found in the industry
- Detailed documentation and live examples are available with source code to enable developers to quickly “Snap Together” and build a complete LBS application, thereby significantly shortening development time
• Highly Scalable
- deCarta’s platform supports some of the largest LBS services in the world
- Cloud based service or available as a self-hosted solution
- Native-like User Experience
- Hardware accelerated graphics, geo-location API, CSS3, Media-Queries, Local Storage
• Fleet/MRM market specific features
- Pin Clustering
- Draggable Shapes
- Customisable Polygons
- Exclusion Zones
- Highly Configurable Routing
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
SureSwipe launches SureSwipe Move - an MPOS solution for SMEs on the goSureSwipe, a leading Payment Services Provider (PSP), has launched the SureSwipe Move Mobile Point of Sale (MPOS) solution in South Africa. Read More
Riverbed advances partnership with MicrosoftRiverbed Technology, the leader in application performance infrastructure, has announced that it is one of the first partners to join the new Microsoft Azure Certified program. Read More
Survey proves paperless SA office a distant dreamDespite modern technology resulting in many businesses now working with electronic documents, 90% of local businesses are still storing original paper documents, according to the 2014 Metrofile Information and Records Management Trends Index. Read More
Create an app-ready network and connect with trillion dollar industryThe size, scope and wealth of opportunity that characterises IoT continue to attract the attention of businesses, especially industry leaders, says Kemp Technologies. Read More
Samsung to unveil curved TV in GhanaSamsung Electronics West Africa is set to improve the viewing experience of Ghanaians with the unveiling of the new 2014 Ultra High Definition (UHD) LED TV that includes the world’s first Curved UHD TV into the Ghanaian market. Read More
CA Technologies redefines SaaS based IT Service ManagementCA Southern Africa has announced that CA Technologies has unveiled CA Cloud Service Management, a mobile-ready, SaaS-based IT Service Management (ITSM) solution that delivers simplicity and speed across the enterprise. Read More
Huawei joins 5G Infrastructure Association BoardHuawei, a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider, announced today that it has been elected to join the board of the 5G Infrastructure Association in Europe at the General Assembly in Bologna. Read More
Cisco continues to reimagine collaborationCisco is continuing to reimagine the way we connect with those inside and outside of our organisations by delivering three new personal collaboration tools designed to help get highly collaborative work done without technology hassles getting in the way. Read More
Brocade builds momentum in EMEA with Partner Education ProgrammeNetworking specialist Brocade has reported significant growth in its accreditation partner base across Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA) in the first half of its financial year. Read More
FEATURED STORYWidening ICT skills gap: Cause for concern
Nigeria's FDI gains could be eroded by the widening gap in indigenous skilled ICT manpower, writes Kokumo Goodie.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHKenya rolls out e-extension to improve agriculture
In a bid to curb the overwhelmed number of agricultural extension officers in Kenya, the ministry of agriculture is embracing technology with their introduction of E-Extension services, which are aimed at reaching out to over 7 million farmers annually.