INDUSTRY| July 20, 2012, 9:11 a.m.
"The deCarta LBS platform features a myriad of APIs (application programming interfaces), and with its latest developments this allows online platforms and applications to location-enable their offerings while maintaining total control of their data, their user base and their monetisation potential.” explains Etienne Louw, Managing Director of mapIT. "It is the perfect white labelling platform which, in partnership with mapIT as an anonymous enabler, will allow companies to take their brand to the next level in social and mobile technology usage."
There has been a recent recognition among on-line and mobile sites that, while services like Google Maps are very good, there are also numerous compromises that come with using these generic platforms. Increasingly, both large and small developers are looking for Map API alternatives that provide them with:
• The ability to customise and differentiate their location services
• Their own branding, not that of a potential competitor
• Control over the way their content is used
• The ability to monetise the service themselves as opposed to being a publisher for others
Location services are the core enablers that unlock hyper-local information and context for mobile users. Because of the tremendous value of these services, third party platforms, such as Google, have invested billions of dollars and millions of man-years into developing these services, embedding them in their operating systems and then extending them to application developers.
However this requires that those companies share, or in some cases, lose control of the value that comes from this location function.
“In the last six months, we have seen a strong market trend towards location services that can be tuned and targeted wholly to a company sites’ brand, content and business model. This has resulted in many hundreds of new developers signing up to our DevZone,” said J. Kim Fennell, President and CEO of deCarta. “Our new API makes it that much easier for these developers to build and deploy the creative location services that they want.”
• Write Once, Run Anywhere
- Cross-device API that will allow for building applications that run seamlessly on tablets, smartphones and desktop devices
- Dramatic savings in development costs as customers don’t need to dedicate separate teams to build mobile versions of their desktop apps
• Control The Look & Feel Of Your Map Experience
- The flexible UI library is highly customisable and allows customers to design applications that reflect their visual style of choice and brand
- Customers can also choose from 5 pre-set map styles or build their own map style
• Source Code Included with API
- Customers can download the complete source code for the API from the deCarta DevZone, allowing them to get under the hood and customise and extend the API to a fuller extent than otherwise found in the industry
- Detailed documentation and live examples are available with source code to enable developers to quickly “Snap Together” and build a complete LBS application, thereby significantly shortening development time
• Highly Scalable
- deCarta’s platform supports some of the largest LBS services in the world
- Cloud based service or available as a self-hosted solution
- Native-like User Experience
- Hardware accelerated graphics, geo-location API, CSS3, Media-Queries, Local Storage
• Fleet/MRM market specific features
- Pin Clustering
- Draggable Shapes
- Customisable Polygons
- Exclusion Zones
- Highly Configurable Routing
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
Samsung elevates Mobile Phone picture quality with new image sensorSamsung Electronics South Africa, a world leader in advanced semiconductor technology, announced its newest 12 megapixel (Mp) image sensor for smartphones, which will elevate the quality of mobile phone pictures. Read More
R&M and FNT Collaborate to Launch Comprehensive Solution for Data Centre Cable Management in MEAReichle & De-Massari (R&M) and FNT Software have unveiled their joint solution for data centre cable management. Read More
Airtel Ghana educated media on data bundles and notificationsAirtel has held a sensitization workshop for representatives from leading media houses to educate them on Airtel’s data bundles and notification systems in place to alert customers when their data bundles are getting exhausted. Read More
Riverbed helps Engen centralize remote and branch office ITRiverbed Technology, the application performance company, has announced that global energy company Engen is using Riverbed solutions to centralize Remote and Branch Office (ROBO) IT, and improve productivity, back-up and data security across its multi-national organization. Read More
Carlson Wireless announces first chipset-based White Space RadioCarlson Wireless Technologies, Inc., a global leader in TV White Space (TVWS) technology, is introducing its third generation TVWS chip module, the Picasso Gen3, to the global market. Read More
Ingenico Group deploys cashless revenue collection solution in KenyaIngenico Group, the global leader in seamless payment, in partnership with Kenyan firm Tracom, has deployed a Revenue Collection solution in the County of Nyeri in Kenya. Read More
Eaton Launches Mobile Tech Day to Drive Growth in South AfricaPower Management Company Eaton today launched its first ever South Africa Mobile Tech Day, a month long exhibition to showcase the company’s solutions in commercial construction. Read More
T-Systems announces the HANA Migration Factory for AfricaT-Systems has released a set of SAP HANA migration services and tools, known as The Migration Factory, to give companies the ability to transform their landscape at a fixed cost and fixed duration on premise or in the cloud. Read More
Argility adds Open Virtual Desktop (OVD) capability to its range of expertiseDigital transformation specialist Argility has signed a strategic partnership with OpenSector (Pty) Ltd., Inuvika’s distribution partner for Africa. Read More
Ericsson chosen by Airtel Zambia for network transformationEricsson has extended its partnership with Airtel Zambia, headquartered in Lusaka, Zambia, with a new contract covering the transformation of Airtel’s radio access network (RAN) infrastructure in every major region of Zambia. Read More
FEATURED STORYGovernment should encourage youths in ICT early
Youths should be given more encouragement to develop their ICT skills, an 11-year-old app developer told Kokumo Goodie.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHIBM Opens First Cloud Data Centre in South Africa
IBM is opening a new IBM Cloud Data Centre in Johannesburg, South Africa. The new cloud center is the result of a close collaboration with Gijima and Vodacom and is designed to support cloud adoption and customer demand across the continent.
COMPANY NEWSEnhancing your security posture to fight new ransomware threats
Petya ransomware is proving to be one of the top cybersecurity stories of 2016.Arbor stops malware in its tracks
There is always a substantial amount of banking trojan activity taking place, however, recent developments have intensified the threat landscape.