INDUSTRY| July 20, 2012, 9:11 a.m.
"The deCarta LBS platform features a myriad of APIs (application programming interfaces), and with its latest developments this allows online platforms and applications to location-enable their offerings while maintaining total control of their data, their user base and their monetisation potential.” explains Etienne Louw, Managing Director of mapIT. "It is the perfect white labelling platform which, in partnership with mapIT as an anonymous enabler, will allow companies to take their brand to the next level in social and mobile technology usage."
There has been a recent recognition among on-line and mobile sites that, while services like Google Maps are very good, there are also numerous compromises that come with using these generic platforms. Increasingly, both large and small developers are looking for Map API alternatives that provide them with:
• The ability to customise and differentiate their location services
• Their own branding, not that of a potential competitor
• Control over the way their content is used
• The ability to monetise the service themselves as opposed to being a publisher for others
Location services are the core enablers that unlock hyper-local information and context for mobile users. Because of the tremendous value of these services, third party platforms, such as Google, have invested billions of dollars and millions of man-years into developing these services, embedding them in their operating systems and then extending them to application developers.
However this requires that those companies share, or in some cases, lose control of the value that comes from this location function.
“In the last six months, we have seen a strong market trend towards location services that can be tuned and targeted wholly to a company sites’ brand, content and business model. This has resulted in many hundreds of new developers signing up to our DevZone,” said J. Kim Fennell, President and CEO of deCarta. “Our new API makes it that much easier for these developers to build and deploy the creative location services that they want.”
• Write Once, Run Anywhere
- Cross-device API that will allow for building applications that run seamlessly on tablets, smartphones and desktop devices
- Dramatic savings in development costs as customers don’t need to dedicate separate teams to build mobile versions of their desktop apps
• Control The Look & Feel Of Your Map Experience
- The flexible UI library is highly customisable and allows customers to design applications that reflect their visual style of choice and brand
- Customers can also choose from 5 pre-set map styles or build their own map style
• Source Code Included with API
- Customers can download the complete source code for the API from the deCarta DevZone, allowing them to get under the hood and customise and extend the API to a fuller extent than otherwise found in the industry
- Detailed documentation and live examples are available with source code to enable developers to quickly “Snap Together” and build a complete LBS application, thereby significantly shortening development time
• Highly Scalable
- deCarta’s platform supports some of the largest LBS services in the world
- Cloud based service or available as a self-hosted solution
- Native-like User Experience
- Hardware accelerated graphics, geo-location API, CSS3, Media-Queries, Local Storage
• Fleet/MRM market specific features
- Pin Clustering
- Draggable Shapes
- Customisable Polygons
- Exclusion Zones
- Highly Configurable Routing
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
Orange Business Services launches worldwide location services for Machine to Machine SIM cardsThe new Machine to Machine (M2M) worldwide geolocation offering from Orange Business Services provides real-time location tracking of corporate assets and equipment anywhere in the world via cellular networks, regardless of the operator. Read More
Solarcentury to build the largest carport solar system in AfricaSolarcentury is to design and construct Africa’s largest solar carport on the uppermost storey of a car park at Garden City Mall, part of the new 32-acre integrated residential, retail park, hotel and office development on Nairobi’s Thika Superhighway. Read More
Pamoja, the platform of choice for DHLRUBiQ, a Cloud solution that is run on Cloud platform infrastructure from leading Cloud services company Pamoja, has served as the platform of choice to expand DHL’s global back office systems. Preliminary testing has revealed that the project has been successful. Read More
PayPal announces collaboration with PayGate in South AfricaWith the announcement of a partnership between PayPal and local payment service provider PayGate, it is now easier than ever for merchants to accept online payments in South Africa. Read More
World’s first biocompatible and non-toxic technology for antibacterial plasticParx Plastics is launching its first ready to use Saniconcentrates™ for manufacturers in Europe and the US to safely create self-sanitizing products with an antibacterial property of up to 99% within 24 hours. Read More
Gemalto unveils hub service to accelerate mobile payment and other secure servicesGemalto, a world leader in digital security, has introduced its Allynis Trusted Services Hub, a turnkey business service that enables financial institutions, enterprises, transport operators and more generally all digital service providers to benefit from a single connection in order to securely deploy their value-added and mobile payment services across ... Read More
Orange Business Services wins satellite contract with BW OffshoreBW Offshore has signed a 5-year, $12 million contract with Orange Business Service for an end-to-end satellite communication solution for its fleet of highly-specialised oil and gas production vessels. Read More
Q-KON connectivity solution for Africa’s Point of Sale headacheSouth African telecommunications engineering firm Q-KON, has demonstrated the advantages of using the StarLight Satellite Access Service to deliver reliable connectivity for Point-of-Sale applications and to provide support to service providers who need to address issues that hamper connectivity for PoS devices across Africa. Read More
Rapid Response launched with Pamoja Cloud serviceRapid Response, an award winning mobile emergency application, is now available to South African mobile-users, providing a fast link to help at hand when they need it most. Read More
MTN App of the Year: Zapper zaps Best Microsoft app, wins Consumer Choice AwardAlready taking the restaurant business by storm across South Africa, Europe and beyond, secure payment app Zapper has notched up two wins at MTN’s App of the Year competition. Read More
FEATURED STORYMFarmer SMS redefines market access for Ugandan farmers
Ugandan smallholder farmers are benefitting from an ambitious innovative ICT mobile phone initiative that offers weather reports and up-to-date market information about changes in prices for agricultural commodities, thus granting them lucrative returns from their farming ventures.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHNIG President speaks his mind
Bayo Banjo, CEO, Disc Communications and President, Nigeria Internet Group (NIG) says the proposed licensing of infrastructure companies by the Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC) will breed corruption and entrench monopolistic practices. Kokumo Goodie reports.