INDUSTRYBy BiztechAfrica - July 20, 2012, 9:11 a.m.
"The deCarta LBS platform features a myriad of APIs (application programming interfaces), and with its latest developments this allows online platforms and applications to location-enable their offerings while maintaining total control of their data, their user base and their monetisation potential.” explains Etienne Louw, Managing Director of mapIT. "It is the perfect white labelling platform which, in partnership with mapIT as an anonymous enabler, will allow companies to take their brand to the next level in social and mobile technology usage."
There has been a recent recognition among on-line and mobile sites that, while services like Google Maps are very good, there are also numerous compromises that come with using these generic platforms. Increasingly, both large and small developers are looking for Map API alternatives that provide them with:
• The ability to customise and differentiate their location services
• Their own branding, not that of a potential competitor
• Control over the way their content is used
• The ability to monetise the service themselves as opposed to being a publisher for others
Location services are the core enablers that unlock hyper-local information and context for mobile users. Because of the tremendous value of these services, third party platforms, such as Google, have invested billions of dollars and millions of man-years into developing these services, embedding them in their operating systems and then extending them to application developers.
However this requires that those companies share, or in some cases, lose control of the value that comes from this location function.
“In the last six months, we have seen a strong market trend towards location services that can be tuned and targeted wholly to a company sites’ brand, content and business model. This has resulted in many hundreds of new developers signing up to our DevZone,” said J. Kim Fennell, President and CEO of deCarta. “Our new API makes it that much easier for these developers to build and deploy the creative location services that they want.”
• Write Once, Run Anywhere
- Cross-device API that will allow for building applications that run seamlessly on tablets, smartphones and desktop devices
- Dramatic savings in development costs as customers don’t need to dedicate separate teams to build mobile versions of their desktop apps
• Control The Look & Feel Of Your Map Experience
- The flexible UI library is highly customisable and allows customers to design applications that reflect their visual style of choice and brand
- Customers can also choose from 5 pre-set map styles or build their own map style
• Source Code Included with API
- Customers can download the complete source code for the API from the deCarta DevZone, allowing them to get under the hood and customise and extend the API to a fuller extent than otherwise found in the industry
- Detailed documentation and live examples are available with source code to enable developers to quickly “Snap Together” and build a complete LBS application, thereby significantly shortening development time
• Highly Scalable
- deCarta’s platform supports some of the largest LBS services in the world
- Cloud based service or available as a self-hosted solution
- Native-like User Experience
- Hardware accelerated graphics, geo-location API, CSS3, Media-Queries, Local Storage
• Fleet/MRM market specific features
- Pin Clustering
- Draggable Shapes
- Customisable Polygons
- Exclusion Zones
- Highly Configurable Routing
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
Vodafone Wholesale Ghana triumphs at the Global Carrier AwardsVodafone Wholesale Ghana has won the award for Best African Product or Service at the prestigious Global Carrier Awards in Amsterdam. Read More
MTN launches eStreet mobile internet cafésMTN has launched a mobile internet café concept that will allow customers to connect and experience the smart life. Read More
WD debuts world’s first SSD+HDD dual driveInnovative 2.5-inch Drive Pairs 120 GB SSD with 1 TB Hard Drive to Deliver Maximum Performance, Data Control in Ultimate Upgrade for Notebook, AIO, Single-Drive Bay Systems. Read More
Huawei Partners with HGST on 6 TB Helium-Filled Hard Disk DrivesHuawei has entered a partnership with Hitachi Global Storage Technologies (HGST), a leading HDD provider, to deploy the new HGST Ultrastar® He6 6 terabyte (TB) helium-filled hard disk drives (HDDs) into their storage systems. Read More
aWhere, Inc. delivers access to localised precipitation data to aid global developmentAn invaluable upgrade to aWhere’s Location Intelligence Platform occurred this week with the launch of a new global weather resource. Read More
CA Southern Africa enters partnership with security specialist NcloseCA Southern Africa has signed a partnership agreement with security specialists, Nclose. The deal will see the two companies collaborating to provide security solutions to clients across all industries, but with a special focus on retail. Read More
Capillary Technologies extends global footprint to SACloud software solutions firm Capillary Technologies has announced its entry into the South African market with new offices in Johannesburg and a strategic new partnership with Blue Label Engage. Read More
Acer wins two CES Innovations 2014 Design and Engineering honoursAcer’s S7 Ultrabook and intuitive R7 notebook have been recognised for industry-leading design, innovation and functionality. Read More
LG wins 15 CES 2014 Innovations AwardsThe Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) recognised LG Electronics’ excellence in design and technology with 15 prestigious 2014 International CES® Innovations Awards. Read More
New automatic speech translation software delivers translations in 78 languagesNew software for conferences and meetings delivers real-time automated speech translation in dozens of languages with up to 96% accuracy. Read More
FEATURED STORYGaming app introduces investors to trading
A new virtual stock market app is equipping would-be investors with the skills they need to trade.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHText messaging makes mama mbogas’ lives easier
Innovative students have initiated a programme using text messaging, to aggregate demand and save money for Nairobi’s ‘mama mboga’ vegetable sellers.