INDUSTRY| July 20, 2012, 9:11 a.m.
"The deCarta LBS platform features a myriad of APIs (application programming interfaces), and with its latest developments this allows online platforms and applications to location-enable their offerings while maintaining total control of their data, their user base and their monetisation potential.” explains Etienne Louw, Managing Director of mapIT. "It is the perfect white labelling platform which, in partnership with mapIT as an anonymous enabler, will allow companies to take their brand to the next level in social and mobile technology usage."
There has been a recent recognition among on-line and mobile sites that, while services like Google Maps are very good, there are also numerous compromises that come with using these generic platforms. Increasingly, both large and small developers are looking for Map API alternatives that provide them with:
• The ability to customise and differentiate their location services
• Their own branding, not that of a potential competitor
• Control over the way their content is used
• The ability to monetise the service themselves as opposed to being a publisher for others
Location services are the core enablers that unlock hyper-local information and context for mobile users. Because of the tremendous value of these services, third party platforms, such as Google, have invested billions of dollars and millions of man-years into developing these services, embedding them in their operating systems and then extending them to application developers.
However this requires that those companies share, or in some cases, lose control of the value that comes from this location function.
“In the last six months, we have seen a strong market trend towards location services that can be tuned and targeted wholly to a company sites’ brand, content and business model. This has resulted in many hundreds of new developers signing up to our DevZone,” said J. Kim Fennell, President and CEO of deCarta. “Our new API makes it that much easier for these developers to build and deploy the creative location services that they want.”
• Write Once, Run Anywhere
- Cross-device API that will allow for building applications that run seamlessly on tablets, smartphones and desktop devices
- Dramatic savings in development costs as customers don’t need to dedicate separate teams to build mobile versions of their desktop apps
• Control The Look & Feel Of Your Map Experience
- The flexible UI library is highly customisable and allows customers to design applications that reflect their visual style of choice and brand
- Customers can also choose from 5 pre-set map styles or build their own map style
• Source Code Included with API
- Customers can download the complete source code for the API from the deCarta DevZone, allowing them to get under the hood and customise and extend the API to a fuller extent than otherwise found in the industry
- Detailed documentation and live examples are available with source code to enable developers to quickly “Snap Together” and build a complete LBS application, thereby significantly shortening development time
• Highly Scalable
- deCarta’s platform supports some of the largest LBS services in the world
- Cloud based service or available as a self-hosted solution
- Native-like User Experience
- Hardware accelerated graphics, geo-location API, CSS3, Media-Queries, Local Storage
• Fleet/MRM market specific features
- Pin Clustering
- Draggable Shapes
- Customisable Polygons
- Exclusion Zones
- Highly Configurable Routing
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
Terra launches Pulse to improve remittance reportingTerra, a mobile-first international payment network, incubated by Mahindra Comviva, has announced the launch of Terra Pulse to help financial authorities and regulators accurately measure mobile-powered international remittances. Read More
Nebula achieves Microsoft Gold Certified Partner status for high performance telecoms management soMicrosoft has renewed and extended the Gold Certified Partner status awarded to Nebula for the company’s next generation telecommunications management platform, OneView. Read More
Travelport launches state of the art customer Helpdesk in KenyaKenya’s travel and tourism industry receives a boost as travel technology leader launches new service at an official event welcomed by the County Executive for Finance, County Government of Nairobi and attended by the CEO and Vice Chair of the Kenya Association of Travel Agents. Read More
Take advantage of elearning to meet your BI skills development goalsIn partnership with elearningCurve, Master Data Management offers various technology independent courses to deliver critical missing BI and analytics skills. Read More
Phoenix Distribution wins Kaspersky East Africa distribution rightsPhoenix Distribution, Africa’s leading broad based distributor of software, has won the distribution rights to security giant Kaspersky Lab’s full range of security solutions in the East Africa region. Read More
Case study: How Google Cloud Platform powers Nomanini’s payments platformGoogle has commended South African-based enterprise payments platform provider, Nomanini, for its role in modernising informal markets using Google products. Read More
Eutelsat partners with Camusat to deliver turnkey solutions to mobile operatorsEutelsat Communications, one of the world's leading satellite operators, and Camusat, a market leader in implementing telecom infrastructures, have entered into a partnership agreement that will enhance turnkey connectivity solutions for mobile operators in Sub-Saharan Africa. Read More
World Panel inks deal with Vodacom for mobile electricity solutionWorld Panel Inc. has showcased its latest products at AfricaCom and announced a deal with Vodacom as a key retail partner to sell its new SunStream in select stores. Read More
AMOTEL appoints WTL as its first supplier for GSM and Data Networks in rural TanzaniaWorld Telecom Labs (WTL) today announced that it has been appointed by AMOTEL to bring voice and data to remote rural villages close to Lake Tanganyika in the Katavi Region. Read More
CA Southern Africa Road Show brings Digital Transformation in the Application Economy to NigeriaThe CA Southern Africa roadshow, which successfully launched in Kenya and Botswana, arrived in Lagos, Nigeria on November 3, where it showcased products and solutions that fuel digital transformation. Read More
FEATURED STORYViber Spreads Good Vibes in Africa with the introduction of public chats
Viber, one of the leading messaging and calling apps with more than 664 million unique users worldwide, has opened its latest social channel ‘Public Chats’ to partners in Africa and the Middle East.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHPoised for greater heights – Roshi Motman, AfricaCom CEO of the Year Winner
Roshi Motman is not your average CEO. Since taking up the reins as the first female CEO of Tigo Ghana in 2014, she has led the Tigo brand through a remarkable transformation.