INDUSTRY| July 20, 2012, 9:11 a.m.
"The deCarta LBS platform features a myriad of APIs (application programming interfaces), and with its latest developments this allows online platforms and applications to location-enable their offerings while maintaining total control of their data, their user base and their monetisation potential.” explains Etienne Louw, Managing Director of mapIT. "It is the perfect white labelling platform which, in partnership with mapIT as an anonymous enabler, will allow companies to take their brand to the next level in social and mobile technology usage."
There has been a recent recognition among on-line and mobile sites that, while services like Google Maps are very good, there are also numerous compromises that come with using these generic platforms. Increasingly, both large and small developers are looking for Map API alternatives that provide them with:
• The ability to customise and differentiate their location services
• Their own branding, not that of a potential competitor
• Control over the way their content is used
• The ability to monetise the service themselves as opposed to being a publisher for others
Location services are the core enablers that unlock hyper-local information and context for mobile users. Because of the tremendous value of these services, third party platforms, such as Google, have invested billions of dollars and millions of man-years into developing these services, embedding them in their operating systems and then extending them to application developers.
However this requires that those companies share, or in some cases, lose control of the value that comes from this location function.
“In the last six months, we have seen a strong market trend towards location services that can be tuned and targeted wholly to a company sites’ brand, content and business model. This has resulted in many hundreds of new developers signing up to our DevZone,” said J. Kim Fennell, President and CEO of deCarta. “Our new API makes it that much easier for these developers to build and deploy the creative location services that they want.”
• Write Once, Run Anywhere
- Cross-device API that will allow for building applications that run seamlessly on tablets, smartphones and desktop devices
- Dramatic savings in development costs as customers don’t need to dedicate separate teams to build mobile versions of their desktop apps
• Control The Look & Feel Of Your Map Experience
- The flexible UI library is highly customisable and allows customers to design applications that reflect their visual style of choice and brand
- Customers can also choose from 5 pre-set map styles or build their own map style
• Source Code Included with API
- Customers can download the complete source code for the API from the deCarta DevZone, allowing them to get under the hood and customise and extend the API to a fuller extent than otherwise found in the industry
- Detailed documentation and live examples are available with source code to enable developers to quickly “Snap Together” and build a complete LBS application, thereby significantly shortening development time
• Highly Scalable
- deCarta’s platform supports some of the largest LBS services in the world
- Cloud based service or available as a self-hosted solution
- Native-like User Experience
- Hardware accelerated graphics, geo-location API, CSS3, Media-Queries, Local Storage
• Fleet/MRM market specific features
- Pin Clustering
- Draggable Shapes
- Customisable Polygons
- Exclusion Zones
- Highly Configurable Routing
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
Silvertree invests over R20m in first seven months of 2015Cape Town-based Silvertree Internet Holdings has invested over R20m in existing and new consumer-focused technology companies in the first seven months of 2015, and has enjoyed month-on-month revenue growth of over 10% across the portfolio in 2015, and as much as 40% monthly for some ventures. Read More
WestconGroup Southern Africa and Aruba Networks in distribution partnershipA new distribution agreement will bring Aruba Networks’ product line to the Southern African region. Read More
Access Bank chooses CA Technologies to help enhance customer experienceAccess Bank, one of Nigeria's premier financial institutions, has deployed a range of CA Technologies solutions, from CA Southern Africa, aimed at taking service management to even higher levels; boosting customer service and enriching clients’ experiences through better technology availability. Read More
Elitecore Wi-Fi SMP enables a leading NEP for multiple carrier Wi-Fi rollouts in AfricaElitecore Technologies, a global provider of Wi-Fi Service Management Platform (SMP) announces that a global Network Equipment Provider (NEP) has selected Elitecore Wi-Fi SMP for its SP Wi-Fi projects which are operational across 10 countries in Africa. Read More
StorIT appointed Unitrends Distributor for MENAStorIT has announced that it has signed a distribution agreement with Unitrends. Read More
Portable solar power to the peopleSchneider Electric, a global specialist in energy management, is commercialising its solar powered portable LED lamps with mobile phone charger, the Mobiya TS 120S, in order to offer innovative, reliable and affordable products to people living without access to electricity. Read More
ZipZap from Paycorp is Microsoft’s mPOS solution of choiceZipZap, the mobile POS (mPOS) solution from Paycorp, has partnered with Microsoft Mobile to offer businesses and retailers a mobile solution that enables them to accept payments from customers wherever they are, transacting anywhere, anytime. Read More
Frost & Sullivan applauds PCCW Global for addressing SSA connectivity demandsPCCW Global, the international operating division of HKT, Hong Kong’s premier telecommunications service provider, has been recognized by Frost & Sullivan with the 2015 Sub-Saharan African (SSA) Connectivity Solutions Customer Value Leadership Award. Read More
Airtel Money VISA card continues to drive financial inclusionOne year after Airtel Kenya launched the Airtel Money VISA card, the debit card continues to allow easy access funds 24 hours a day, bringing new point-of-sale and ATM transaction options to users. Read More
Ricoh’s improved A3 multifunction devices monitor, report and connect to the cloudRicoh has released its new 3054SP/3554SP series of A3 black-and-white multifunction devices, for medium to large offices, that support intelligent document functionality. Read More
FEATURED STORYYoung innovators shine during pitch sessions
Botswana saw an array of upcoming tech wizards selling their ideas during the Vendors’ Day pitch sessions this week.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHHigh tech homes: Just press play
High tech, digital homes where everything is automated and connected aren’t the stuff of science fiction any longer, says BNC Technology.