INDUSTRY| July 20, 2012, 9:11 a.m.
"The deCarta LBS platform features a myriad of APIs (application programming interfaces), and with its latest developments this allows online platforms and applications to location-enable their offerings while maintaining total control of their data, their user base and their monetisation potential.” explains Etienne Louw, Managing Director of mapIT. "It is the perfect white labelling platform which, in partnership with mapIT as an anonymous enabler, will allow companies to take their brand to the next level in social and mobile technology usage."
There has been a recent recognition among on-line and mobile sites that, while services like Google Maps are very good, there are also numerous compromises that come with using these generic platforms. Increasingly, both large and small developers are looking for Map API alternatives that provide them with:
• The ability to customise and differentiate their location services
• Their own branding, not that of a potential competitor
• Control over the way their content is used
• The ability to monetise the service themselves as opposed to being a publisher for others
Location services are the core enablers that unlock hyper-local information and context for mobile users. Because of the tremendous value of these services, third party platforms, such as Google, have invested billions of dollars and millions of man-years into developing these services, embedding them in their operating systems and then extending them to application developers.
However this requires that those companies share, or in some cases, lose control of the value that comes from this location function.
“In the last six months, we have seen a strong market trend towards location services that can be tuned and targeted wholly to a company sites’ brand, content and business model. This has resulted in many hundreds of new developers signing up to our DevZone,” said J. Kim Fennell, President and CEO of deCarta. “Our new API makes it that much easier for these developers to build and deploy the creative location services that they want.”
• Write Once, Run Anywhere
- Cross-device API that will allow for building applications that run seamlessly on tablets, smartphones and desktop devices
- Dramatic savings in development costs as customers don’t need to dedicate separate teams to build mobile versions of their desktop apps
• Control The Look & Feel Of Your Map Experience
- The flexible UI library is highly customisable and allows customers to design applications that reflect their visual style of choice and brand
- Customers can also choose from 5 pre-set map styles or build their own map style
• Source Code Included with API
- Customers can download the complete source code for the API from the deCarta DevZone, allowing them to get under the hood and customise and extend the API to a fuller extent than otherwise found in the industry
- Detailed documentation and live examples are available with source code to enable developers to quickly “Snap Together” and build a complete LBS application, thereby significantly shortening development time
• Highly Scalable
- deCarta’s platform supports some of the largest LBS services in the world
- Cloud based service or available as a self-hosted solution
- Native-like User Experience
- Hardware accelerated graphics, geo-location API, CSS3, Media-Queries, Local Storage
• Fleet/MRM market specific features
- Pin Clustering
- Draggable Shapes
- Customisable Polygons
- Exclusion Zones
- Highly Configurable Routing
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
Gilat Telecom Uganda provides internet services for 60 business customersGilat Satcom has established an ISP in Uganda which is already providing fast, reliable and highly secure broadband services to more than 60 business clients, mainly around Kampala and Entebbe. Read More
New solution to beat identity theftIdeco is launching its new all-in-one mobile biometrics unit in South Africa. The Biometric Identity Management System (BIMS) enables biometric identification across a range of modalities, from fingerprint through to iris scanning. Read More
Cellphones to improve healthcare access and quality in AfricaMaking use of VMware technologies, Medic Mobile has developed a software kit to be used in almost any kind of environment, support any language, and work with or without Internet connectivity, locally or in the cloud Read More
Safaricom uses Nokia CEM on DemandSafaricom, the largest integrated telecommunication service provider in East Africa, is improving services for more than 25 million subscribers in Kenya, thanks to Nokia's Customer Experience Management on Demand. Read More
Standard Bank digital innovation delivers single biometric and cross border banking accessibilityAfrica’s largest bank by assets, Standard Bank, has seen its mobile traffic growing 100% a year as customers embrace more convenient and efficient solutions for their banking needs. Read More
Telco Systems Rolls Out New 10GE High Capacity Carrier Ethernet Network for KENET in KenyaTelco Systems, the leading provider of innovative CE 2.0, MPLS, IP and SDN & NFV solutions, has announced that the company has successfully deployed a new 10GE high capacity carrier Ethernet network for the Kenya Education Network (KENET) in Kenya. Read More
GeoPoll, Kantar Media, Cuende announce first Pan-African Out of Home measurement productGlobal leaders in audience research use satellite imagery and mobile survey data to measure OOH reach in Africa. Read More
BICS blocks over 10m fraudulent call attempts with FraudGuard in 2016BICS, a global wholesale carrier for voice, mobile data and capacity services says its crowdsourcing fraud prevention platform, FraudGuard, detected and blocked more than 10 million fraudulent call attempts on its customers’ networks during the first quarter of 2016. Read More
Samsung elevates Mobile Phone picture quality with new image sensorSamsung Electronics South Africa, a world leader in advanced semiconductor technology, announced its newest 12 megapixel (Mp) image sensor for smartphones, which will elevate the quality of mobile phone pictures. Read More
R&M and FNT Collaborate to Launch Comprehensive Solution for Data Centre Cable Management in MEAReichle & De-Massari (R&M) and FNT Software have unveiled their joint solution for data centre cable management. Read More
FEATURED STORYFirst-ever Africa Barclays Accelerator programme concludes
Ten fintech companies have concluded the first-ever Barclays Accelerator, powered by Techstars in Africa.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHEthical Hacking students can’t get a heck of a job
Botswana ethical hacking students report that they are failing to break into the local job market.
COMPANY NEWSThe Tech Revolution: Sage Sets out the Vision for African Businesses
Sage, a market leader in cloud accounting software used its global Sage Summit 2016, held this week in Chicago, to outline its strong commitment to future technologies, ...