Kenya switch off gets underway
TELECOMS| Oct. 1, 2012, 7:13 a.m.
Kenya’s telecoms operators will start disconnecting services to unverified handsets today. This follows the passing of the 30 September deadline for users to register their phones.
The move is in line with the government’s programme to remove counterfeit handsets from circulation in Kenya. Phone users were given until midnight last night to check their phones’ IMEI numbers. Those that were not verified and registered will be disconnected from services from today. The CCK has estimated that up to 3 million devices in use in Kenya were counterfeit.
The Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK) says all four operators have undertaken to switch off unregistered and counterfeit phones. CCK Director General Francis Wangusi said last week that adequate public awareness campaigns had been carried out and that there would be no further extension of the deadline.
Kenya’s Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Information and Communication, Dr. Bitange Ndemo, said earlier that it was necessary for the government to ensure that all mobile phones are genuine to safeguard the health of consumers and also to promote confidence in mobile innovations.
“In this era of mobile banking, use of counterfeit devices, which are manufactured without due consideration to the recognized security standards, may expose our mobile money systems as well as the wider banking and financial system to unnecessary risks. The Government cannot allow this to happen and thus our decision to have all unregistered SIM cards and counterfeit handset mobile phones phased out by 30th September 2012,” said Dr. Ndemo.
MORE TELECOMS NEWS
Airtel unveils Ksh19bn investment planAirtel Kenya has announced an ambitious investment programme totaling Kshs.19 billion over the next 3 years. Read More
Tigo adds 275 cell sitesTigo Ghana is making additional network investments and expansions to meet demand for additional capacity across the country. Read More
Tigo Ghana rolls out new cell sitesTigo is rolling out new base stations to fill gaps in its 3G coverage and improve on its 2G coverage in Ghana. Read More
MainOne marks 5 yearsIn its five year existence, MainOne has invested over $300m in infrastructure in West Africa. Read More
MTN CEO restates commitment to educationThe Chief Executive Officer of MTN Nigeria, Mr. Michael Ikpoki, has restated the telco’s strong commitment to partnering with government to develop the education sector. Read More
VP commissions Huawei Seeds for the Future programmeGhana’s Vice President, H.E Paa Kwasi Amissah Arthur, has officially commissioned the Huawei Seeds for the Future Programme in Accra. Read More
IHS plans to inject fresh $500m to grow capacityMohammed Darwish, managing director of IHS Towers, says the firm will soon inject another $500million into the business after raising some $2.5billion to finance expansion drives. Darwish spoke with biztecafrica.com in Lagos. Read More
More convenience for Airtel customers in Embu with new Airtel shopAirtel Kenya has opened a new Airtel shop in Embu town as part of the company’s aggressive expansion and upgrade plan. Read More
Nebula: You’re probably wasting 20% of your telecoms spendSouth African businesses are wasting up to 20% of their telecommunications spend every year, according to a new white paper by Nebula. Read More
Tigo CEO chairs Ghana Chamber of TelecommunicationsThe Governing Council of the Ghana Chamber of Telecommunication has elected the Chief Executive Officer of Tigo Ghana Roshi Motman as the new Chair of the Chamber. Read More
FEATURED STORYIHS plans to inject fresh $500m to grow capacity
Mohammed Darwish, managing director of IHS Towers, says the firm will soon inject another $500million into the business after raising some $2.5billion to finance expansion drives. Darwish spoke with biztecafrica.com in Lagos.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHAs curtain falls on MDGs, what next?
Dr. Bjorn Lomborg, president of the Copenhagen Consensus Centre, speaks to Biztechafrica about setting smart targets.