Kenya effects war against counterfeit phones
GOVERNMENT| Oct. 2, 2012, 6:13 a.m.
By Semaj Itosno, Nairobi, Kenya
Around two million Kenyans using counterfeit phones will be forced to acquire genuine ones following the much anticipated switch-off of all fake handsets.
Leading mobile operator Safaricom says the mandatory exercise, which began at midnight on September 30, 2012 impacted over 680,000 customers out of its 19.1 million subscriber base.
The Industry regulator, the Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK), had issued the directive to the industry compelling all service providers to ensure that counterfeit phones were blocked from accessing Kenyan mobile networks with effect from September 30 2012.
Although Safaricom said that it was too early to assess the financial implications of the blocking exercise, it confirmed that initial analysis of the customers impacted so far clearly indicated that the areas around Nairobi, Rift Valley, Central and Eastern were hardest hit by the exercise. Combined, these areas accounted for more than 60% of the targeted counterfeit phones.
“We deeply regret the inconvenience and anxiety that this exercise has caused amongst our customers. We realise that they have little to do with presence of these counterfeit devices in the country and it is unfortunate that they have had to shoulder the negative consequences of the same. In order to mitigate the inconvenience we have been contacting all affected customers and providing them with the option of purchasing affordable genuine phones or redeeming their Bonga Loyalty Scheme Points for new handsets,” said Safaricom CEO Bob Collymore.
Collymore urged all operators to play their part and diligently block the counterfeit devices based on lists they receive from the other networks.
“We recognise that blocking handsets alone is not the long term solution and we call for more support to the CCK by related Government agencies to block entry and sale of the counterfeit devices and to step up prosecution of those who engage in their illegal importation and sale.”
He called on the Government to reconsider the impending decision to impose VAT on mobile phones saying that the move would make genuine mobile phones unaffordable to the majority of Kenyans and instead fuel the black market trading of counterfeits.
The number of counterfeit handsets in use around the country is estimated at over two million, and it is feared that once switched off the handsets will end up in landfills, contributing to the growing e-waste threat in the country.
A research conducted by Nokia in late 2011 indicated that only 14% of Kenyans were aware that mobile phones could be recycled, and only 2% were actively recycling these devices.
MORE GOVERNMENT NEWS
Nigeria BVN deadline loomsBank customers in Nigeria are reported to be rushing to register for their biometric banking ID as the deadline for the BVNs looms. Read More
Young entrepreneurs in Rwanda told to be more creativeThe latest YouthKonnekt Hangout hosted by Rwanda’s Ministry of Youth and ICT (MYICT) in partnership with UNDP, ADMA, Tigo, and HeHe Labs, has urged young entrepreneurs to be innovative. Read More
Jumia gets visit from Côte d’Ivoire MinisterCôte d’Ivoire’s Minister of Post and Information and Communication Technology, Bruno Kone, has paid a visit to the offices of e-commerce firm Jumia. Read More
African heads of state to participate in TGAISFive heads of state have already confirmed their participation in the 2015 Global African Investment Summit. Read More
Francis Wangusi reappointed CAK DGThe Board of the Communications Authority of Kenya has announced the appointment of Francis Wangusi as the Director General for a term of four years, effective 22 August 2015. Read More
NIN mandatory from September 1, says NIMCThe National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has put 1st September, 2015 as the date from which all transactions involving the identification of individuals must be done with the National Identification Number (NIN). Read More
Minister encourages young innovatorsRwanda’s Minister of Youth and ICT, Jean Philbert Nsengimana, has encouraged young innovators in Rwanda to be driven by passion. Read More
NCC, Cameroon telecoms regulator seal dealBanking on the vast experience of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) as a foremost regulator in Africa, the Telecommunication Regulatory Board (TRB) of Cameroun at the weekend signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the NCC. Read More
African leaders commend NEPAD’s role in Africa’s transformation and regional integrationAfrican leaders gathered at the Sandton Convention Centre in South Africa for the 33rd NEPAD Heads of State and Government Orientation meeting have commended NEPAD on its work toward regional integration. Read More
FEATURED STORYIHS plans to inject fresh $500m to grow capacity
Mohammed Darwish, managing director of IHS Towers, says the firm will soon inject another $500million into the business after raising some $2.5billion to finance expansion drives. Darwish spoke with biztecafrica.com in Lagos.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHAs curtain falls on MDGs, what next?
Dr. Bjorn Lomborg, president of the Copenhagen Consensus Centre, speaks to Biztechafrica about setting smart targets.
COMPANY NEWSMTN Business expands partnership with Samsung to offer enterprise customers increased security
Samsung Electronics South Africa has announced that MTN Business has been appointed as a reseller of Samsung’s KNOX licenses to its customers.