France Telecom Ethiopia run nears end
TELECOMS| Dec. 7, 2012, 1:27 p.m.
The two year contract for France Telecom to run Ethio Telecom is nearing an end. France Telecom was appointed in December 2010 to manage the state-owned telco.
The management of the telco is expected to be handed back to staff next week.
Dr Debretsion Gebre Michael, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Information and Communication, is reported to have said the contract will not be extended.
During the past two years, Ethio Telecom subscribers have increased by 59% to pass the 18 million mark at the end of June this year. In their annual financial report, the management also noted that Ethio Telecom had launched
- value added services (USSD codes, Call me Back, Credit Transfer, GPRS, Voicemail for postpaid),
- postpaid mobile offer to residential customers with credit limit policy application
- prepaid bundle offer with Voice, SMS and data
- ADSL Service offer with CPE customer premise equipment for residential customers
- 3G services offer
- EVDO dongle package
With the objective of improving customer satisfaction, the company implemented
- optimization of Call Center access through 994
- Call Center Quality of Service improvement, 980 success rate of 89% in June
- Customer Satisfaction surveys: call campaigns and proactive management
- Trouble Ticketing system for client management and resolution follow up
- Key Account consolidation through centralised invoicing and management
- Direct debit / Standing order with CBE/Commercial Bank of Ethiopia with main clients
- centralized collection for postpaid clients and credit limit management
- A Pilot Test of Sales Level Agreement (SLAs) for top clients was launched
More than 3,800 Ethio employees were trained in the past year.
MORE TELECOMS NEWS
Airtel opens new service outlet in LagosAirtel Nigeria, has opened a new service outlet, 'Expo Centre' at 47 Adeola Odeku Street, Victoria Island, Lagos. Read More
Mayor opens new ICT shopHer Worship the Mayor of Francistown has opened the doors of a new ICT initiative in Francistown, in the form of a shop from the country’s leading mobile communications provider, Mascom. Read More
Africell, Airtel on collision course over cableUganda’s Africell is set for a legal battle with Airtel as the two trade accusations over the theft of fibre optic cables. Read More
Vodacom coasts home with two industry awardsVodacom Business Nigeria has won two prestigious awards at the Beacon of ICT (BoICT) Awards ceremony. Read More
Vodafone Ghana to reward whistleblowers on cable theftVodafone Ghana is enlisting the help of the general public to help curb cable theft across the country. Read More
MTN Cameroon renews subscriber identificationMTN Cameroon has launched a nationwide campaign that will run until June 2016 to confirm the identity of each subscriber. Read More
Dairo, Ogiemwanye, Uwaoma now Directors at Etisalat NigeriaEtisalat Nigeria has announced the appointment of Adeolu Dairo as Director, Consumer Segment, Elvis Ogiemwanye as Director, Brand & Experience and Eric Uwaoma as Director, Enterprise Segment. Read More
Kenya Power, Safaricom in broadband projectKenya Power International and Safaricom have signed a MoU that will see more Kenyans connected to broadband Internet. Read More
MTN Ghana undertakes 4G LTE site testingMTN Ghana says it has started testing over 60 cell sites located in four different regions of Ghana to pave the way for a successful 4G LTE launch in the third quarter of this year. Read More
FEATURED STORYCriticism over Remita borne out of ignorance, says SystemSpecs
The CEO of SystemSpecs, the company behind the revenue-saving Nigerian Single Treasury Account (TSA) system, speaks to Biztechafrica.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHIBM Opens First Cloud Data Centre in South Africa
IBM is opening a new IBM Cloud Data Centre in Johannesburg, South Africa. The new cloud center is the result of a close collaboration with Gijima and Vodacom and is designed to support cloud adoption and customer demand across the continent.
COMPANY NEWSKeeping up with the mobile banking evolution
Africa especially has witnessed the trend of mobile banking, due to the well-known fact that today more people on the continent have access to a mobile phone ...