France Telecom Ethiopia run nears end
TELECOMSBy BiztechAfrica - Dec. 7, 2012, 1:27 p.m.
The two year contract for France Telecom to run Ethio Telecom is nearing an end. France Telecom was appointed in December 2010 to manage the state-owned telco.
The management of the telco is expected to be handed back to staff next week.
Dr Debretsion Gebre Michael, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Information and Communication, is reported to have said the contract will not be extended.
During the past two years, Ethio Telecom subscribers have increased by 59% to pass the 18 million mark at the end of June this year. In their annual financial report, the management also noted that Ethio Telecom had launched
- value added services (USSD codes, Call me Back, Credit Transfer, GPRS, Voicemail for postpaid),
- postpaid mobile offer to residential customers with credit limit policy application
- prepaid bundle offer with Voice, SMS and data
- ADSL Service offer with CPE customer premise equipment for residential customers
- 3G services offer
- EVDO dongle package
With the objective of improving customer satisfaction, the company implemented
- optimization of Call Center access through 994
- Call Center Quality of Service improvement, 980 success rate of 89% in June
- Customer Satisfaction surveys: call campaigns and proactive management
- Trouble Ticketing system for client management and resolution follow up
- Key Account consolidation through centralised invoicing and management
- Direct debit / Standing order with CBE/Commercial Bank of Ethiopia with main clients
- centralized collection for postpaid clients and credit limit management
- A Pilot Test of Sales Level Agreement (SLAs) for top clients was launched
More than 3,800 Ethio employees were trained in the past year.
MORE TELECOMS NEWS
Airtel wins African Operator of the Year AwardBharti Airtel has been recognised as the African Operator of the Year at the CommsMEA Awards 2013. Read More
MTN honours Nelson MandelaThe MTN Group has conveyed its heartfelt condolences to the Mandela family, and the people of South Africa and the world on the passing away of former President Nelson Mandela yesterday. Read More
Ethio telecom moves to next phase of expansionEthio telecom reports that it has concluded the task of telecoms vendor allocation and is now proceeding to implement its network expansion project. Read More
Samsung brings new Galaxy Note 10.1 to GhanaThe much talked about Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition is finally available on the Ghanaian market. Read More
Safaricom awards Capture Kenya winnersFive Kenyan photographers have won the inaugural Capture Kenya Challenge, sponsored by Safaricom. Read More
Vodafone Ghana thrills subscribers with 020 Live Red Island PartyVodafone Ghana will host its annual 020 live musical concert, dubbed the Red Island Party, at the plush Labadi beach hotel on 14 December this year. Read More
Airtel Africa joins Bridge AllianceAirtel has announced that it will join Bridge Alliance, a leading mobile alliance that is made up of 14 operators, serving over 500 million customers. Read More
Plan seeks 90% mobile, 70% internet penetrationCCK’s ambitious five-year strategic plan seeks to increase the contribution of the ICT sector to GDP by 100 percent and significantly increase mobile and internet penetration. Read More
FEATURED STORYGaming app introduces investors to trading
A new virtual stock market app is equipping would-be investors with the skills they need to trade.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHCorporate cyber security threats of the year
91% of organisations polled suffered a cyber-attack at least once in the past year, says Kaspersky Lab in its security review of 2013.