Floods, insecurity slow USD1.3bn MTN project
TELECOMS| Oct. 23, 2012, 9:25 p.m.
By Kokumo Goodie, Lagos, Nigeria
The massive network modernisation and swap-out exercise being implemented by MTN Nigeria, the country's largest mobile operator, as a part of its USD1.3bn 2012 total capital expenditure (capex), is being challenged by the flood disaster and the increasing wave of insecurity in some parts of the country.
Akinwale Goodluck, the telco's Corporate Services Executive, disclosed this during a media interaction in Lagos to update its subscribers on the ongoing project
Goodluck, who appealed for patience on the part of the over 44 million MTN subscribers and other stakeholders, who have been experiencing service hitches on the MTN network, said the various activities related to MTN network moderrnisation were progressing steadily.
"We regret, however, that the pace of work has been considerably challenged by the spate of insecurity coupled with the unprecedented flooding being experienced in many parts of the country," he said.
The network optimisation exercise will affect over 4, 000 base stations of over 10, 000 across the country.
According to Goodluck: "The task that we are undertaking is tantamount to building a new network. We are seeking to replicate what we achieved over a six period in nine months."
Goodluck explained that considerable progress has been recorded with regard to the ongoing network improvement plans, stressing that several swap-outs have reached very advanced stages of completion.
"The entire network modernisation process is a very logistic-intensive one and the problem of insincerity has seriously affected the pace of work in some parts of the country," he said.
Goodluck noted that in at least 13 states, flooding has created additional logistic impediments, resulting in the slowing down of the pace of the ongoing network modernisation efforts.
While acknowledging that MTN's customers had been experiencing some disruptions over the last few weeks, Goodluck said: "We sincerely express our thanks to our customers for their patience," pledging that as much as possible, MTN would stick to its original plan of carrying out the network procedures only at night, with a view to minimising disruptions to services.
He also assured that MTN was doing everything possible, including doubling its work teams, to finalise the project as quickly as possible, even as he pointed out that, because of the current challenges the exercise may have to conclude by first quarter of 2013.
The project, which began in July, 2012, was expected to cover the entire country and was originally expected to span a period of nine months.
"It is a massive investment we are making to boost not only the quality of telephone services, but also to enhance the back-end information and communication technology support which we provide for banking and financial services, the oil industry and several other industries across Nigeria," Goodluck said.
MORE TELECOMS NEWS
Yes, Etisalat dragged us to court, says MTNMTN Nigeria has confirmed that it has been served with court papers based on a lawsuit filed by Emerging Markets Telecommunications Services Limited (Etisalat Nigeria) over the acquisition of Visafone, the only surviving code division multiple access (CDMA) operator in the country. Read More
Etisalat challenges MTN spectrum useEtisalat Nigeria says it has brought a legal action challenging MTN’s use of the 800MHZ spectrum following the acquisition of Visafone. Read More
NewTelco SA extends African footprint with dedicated Kenyan presenceThe Jasco Group has expanded the presence of NewTelco South Africa, a joint venture between the Jasco Group and NewTelco GMBH, into the East African region with a dedicated presence in Kenya. Read More
Facility closure to affect Ondo services, warns MTNMTN Nigeria has warned that the closure of its facilities in Ondo by the state government will negatively impact the quality of service in the state. Read More
Telcos threaten service blackout on states shutting BTSNigeria’s telecoms operators have threatened not to reopen any base transmission station (BTS) that were forcefully shut down by states. Read More
Neglect of CDMA a mistake, says NCC CEOThe Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC) has lamented the comatose state of the CDMA sector of the telecoms industry. Read More
Airtel introduces new UnlimiNet 20 daily bundleAirtel has introduced a new “UnlimiNet 20 bundle”, billed as the most affordable bundled offer for voice, SMS and data on the Airtel network. Read More
Safaricom opens new Narok retail shopSafaricom has set its sights on Narok County as it seeks to provide residents of the rapidly growing town with easier access to its wide range of products and services. Read More
Why we launched Mate 8, M2 Tablet: HuaweiChinese original equipment manufacturer Huawei has said it launched its two new flagship products, Mate 8 and M2 Tablet, to cater for the increasing mobile needs of consumers. Read More
FEATURED STORYViber Spreads Good Vibes in Africa with the introduction of public chats
Viber, one of the leading messaging and calling apps with more than 664 million unique users worldwide, has opened its latest social channel ‘Public Chats’ to partners in Africa and the Middle East.
BEST READ NEWS
IN DEPTHPoised for greater heights – Roshi Motman, AfricaCom CEO of the Year Winner
Roshi Motman is not your average CEO. Since taking up the reins as the first female CEO of Tigo Ghana in 2014, she has led the Tigo brand through a remarkable transformation.
COMPANY NEWSArbor Networks maintains leadership in IHS Infonetics Report on DDoS prevention appliances
Arbor Networks was identified once again as the top supplier of DDoS mitigation appliances overall, as well as in the Carrier, Enterprise and Mobile market segments, according ...