Enter the Innovation Prize for Africa awards
The United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) and the African Innovation Foundation (AIF) have called for entries for the 2013 Innovation Prize for Africa (IPA), which aims to contribute towards developing new products, increasing efficiency or saving cost in Africa.
Researchers are invited to propose projects that unlock new African potential under one or more areas which include manufacturing and service industry; agriculture/agribusiness; ICTs; health and wellbeing; and environment, energy and water.
The organisers expect the prize to promote among young African men and women the pursuit of science, technology and engineering careers and business applications.
The aims are to:
- Mobilise leaders from all sectors to fuel African innovation;
- Promote innovation across Africa in key sectors of interest through the competition;
- Promote science, technology and engineering as rewarding, exciting and noble career options among the youth in Africa by profiling success applicants; and
- Encourage entrepreneurs, innovators, funding bodies and business development service providers to exchange ideas and explore innovative business opportunities.
In pursuing those aims, the AIP expects the following outcomes:
- Increased commercialization of research and development (R&D) outputs in Africa;
- Increased funding of start-ups, adoption of new and emerging technologies and accelerated growth of an innovative and dynamic private sector; and
- Increased economic activity and African led development that results in lasting impact.
Eligible are innovations by Africans for Africa. Africans in the Diaspora can also apply if their innovations are of significance to Africa. The winning proposal will be awarded a cash prize of USD100,000, with the two runner-ups receiving USD25,000.
The registration deadline for the 2013 prize has been set for 31 October 2012.
For detailed information of competition categories, conditions of entry, and submission procedures, please visit: innovationPrizeForArica.org
Recent Innovations News
Stacking on the graphene23 Feb